Fan Fic: What You Meant To Me
"The sarcastic, skinny, son of a Viking fishbone talking to me is my rider Hiccup."What You Meant To Me is a How to Train Your Dragon fanfic written by P3MF-Richter.It’s a story about Hiccup and Toothless having developed deeper feelings for each other, along with all the zany things that would accompany such an odd pairing.
What You Meant To Me provides examples of the following tropes:
- Animal Talk: Toothless and other dragons easily understand each other, while humans and dragons don't.
- Babies Ever After Implied at the end.
- Bad Dreams: When Loki invades Toothless’s dream.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Loki gives Toothless what she wants, but he wants Toothless and Hiccup's bodies when they die to take over their bodies.
- Body Snatcher What Loki and his wife want to do with Hiccup and Toothless after They die.
- Book Ends: The story’s first and last chapter starts with Toothless’s POV.
- Break the Cutie: Toothless, when she slashes Hiccup.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Toothless at Astrid.
- Deadpan Snarker: Hiccup and Toothless. Even to each other.
- Deus ex Machina: Stoick arriving at the island Toothless and Hiccup are on.
- Disappointed In You: Stoick feels this way after hearing his son loves a dragon.
- Dragon Rider: Hiccup, of course. The other teens as well.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Averted. Many Vikings listen to Hiccup now after helping to tame the dragons.
- First Girl Wins: Averted, to Astrid’s dismay.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: What Toothless is feeling, considering she is a dragon.
- Intellectual Animal: Dragons in general in this fic. Toothless especially, being a Night Fury and all.
- Interspecies Romance: Between Hiccup and Toothless.
- Kick the Dog: Chapter 3 is full of this.
- Love Makes You Crazy: What Toothless believes her affection to Hiccup has done to her.
- Love Triangle: Between Toothless and Astrid for Hiccup.
- Mythology Gag: The author uses Hiccup's full name from the book and references the books names for each kid's dragon's names like Horrorcow for Fishlegs and Fireworm for Snotlout.
- Pokémon Speak: Dragons can speak to each other just fine, but not to humans.
- Rule 63 / Samus is a Girl: Of Toothless.
- Ruleof Funny: Toothless (of all things) should otherwise never know what a dentist is.
- Secret Relationship: Which fails… Miserably.
- Shaming the Mob: Snotlout TRIES to do this, but…
- Shipper on Deck: Most of the main characters near the end.
- Shout-Out: Chapter eleven’s name is a reference to another fantasy setting…
- Tsundere: Toothless, when she’s not being a Deadpan Snarker.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Whatever happened to that treasure Snotlout found?