One snowy night changed everything...
A MLP:FiM Fanfic
by Cranberry Muffin.
On the Ponyville Weather Team, a new policy is put into effect. Each meeting, somepony has to provide the snacks for the whole team, instead of just mooching off of whoever's house they're meeting at. This is a problem for Derpy
, whose cooking skills are less than optimal
. When the day comes for her to provide the snacks, it was the help of her close friend Thunderlane that allowed her to provide a tasty treat without any destroyed buildings. Thunderlane's kindness, and his admiration for her despite her shortcomings, pushed the two together, and they start their new life as Ponyville's new Odd Couple
That was the prologue. Now, Derpy's been asked to present herself for Thunderlane's little brother's pony for family Appreciation Day, and it's up to her and her coltfriend to conquer her self-esteem issues and provide the best presentation ever.
Can be found here
, while the prologue can be found here
These stories provide examples of:
- Adorkable: Both Derpy and Thunderlane, but Derpy come out on top. Even her stern looks are made silly by her eye condition.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Supposedly, many ponies make fun of her clumsiness and eye condition, and the rest barely tolerate her for the disasters she causes. Regardless, she still tries to make friends where she can, and it has even paid off occasionally.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Thunderlane definitely thinks this of Derpy.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason Derpy fell for Thunderlane.
- Butt Monkey: Derpy's is the town klutz, and frequently gets into painful situations.
- Cheerful Child: Rumble, Thunderlane's little brother.
- Cool Big Sis: Rumble starts to think of Derpy as this, considering she already lives with the family and her relationship with Thunderlane.
- Cry into Chest/Cry Cute: In the second chapter, Thunderlane comforts Derpy after she's sobbing from not feeling good enough to attend Rumble's Family Appreciation Day.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Derpy, obviously. She's aware of how disasters just seem to happen around her, which hurts her self-esteem.
- Friendless Background: Derpy moved to Ponyville to escape her parents' disappointment in her, and hasn't made many friends since.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Derpy is very insecure, and considers herself very plain in appearance. She's surprised, though elated, that Thunderlane cares enough for her to pursue a romantic relationship.
- Insecure Love Interest: Derpy, due to being mocked for her clumsiness and strabismus, and her parents' disappointment in her abilities and career path.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Derpy already lives with Thunderlane's family, since she's renting out the attic. Even when Thunderlane and Derpy sleep in the same bed, there's nothing inappropriate going on.
- Lethal Chef: Not one of the worst cases of this trope, but a trip to the kitchen usually ends in disaster for Derpy. When trying to make cranberry muffins, she lit her first batch on fire, somehow simultaneously under-cooked and overcooked her fourth batch, and the disaster of the fifth batch traumatized Thunderlane's mother
- Nice Guy: Thunderlane
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Derpy's not a genius, but she's more aware of what other ponies say and think of her than they give her credit for.
- Odd Couple: Few in Ponyville expected Derpy to find a coltfriend. On a meta example, Thunderlane x Derpy is a practically nonexistent pairing.
- Shrinking Violet: Not to Fluttershy's levels, but Derpy is pretty shy and insecure.
- Snow Means Love: On a cold winter night, Derpy gifts Thunderlane a specially crafted Maple Candy, and, noticing her blush, he thanks her with a kiss on the cheek, unofficially becoming a couple.
- Stepford Smiler: Type A: Derpy is almost always bubbly and cheery on the outside, even if she accidentally just caused a small-scale disaster. On the inside, she's very insecure and saddened by all the teasing and disrespect she receives daily.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: A minor example, when Thunderlane reminds Derpy that her helping him make his batch of snacks didn't result in disaster, restoring her confidence enough for Derpy to try to make her own snacks again.
- Again in Chapter 3, with Rainbow assuring Derpy that she's "cool, even if you or [other ponies] don't realize it."
- WAFF: Most of the story is very sweet, and Derpy and Thunderlane's relationship is very loving and without problems bigger than Derpy's insecurities.
- What The Hell Fillies?: Rainbow Dash accosts Cloudchaser and Flitter for laughing at Derpy when she fell in an icy lake, instead of helping her. She also tells them to forget the flight lessons she was about to give them.
- Well Done Daughter Pony: Derpy's parents are both established officials in the Weather Bureau, and Derpy's failure to improve both her academics and her career strained their relationship. Derpy eventually left Cloudsdale just to escape their influence.
- The incident that forced her to do so was her taking the blame for her friend Surprise's mistake so that she wouldn't get cut from the Wonderbolts. Rather than praise her for doing the right thing, they get on her case for hanging out with the wrong sort.