Fan Fic: Warhammer 40000 Trouble
In the GRIM DARKNESS of the 41st Millennium, there's only WAR. In the NOBLE BRIGHTNESS of the 21st Century, there's only LOVE ADVENTURE. Someone Just had to mess up with that...
A Crossover Fan Fiction
between Warhammer 40,000
and To Love-Ru
, written by ZeroXSEED with the assistance of Jomlos, Warhammer 40000 Trouble
is a War Fic
set in the To Love-Ru
universe where a Negative Space Wedgie
resulted in an Alien Invasion
. Naturally, all the characters from the anime are forced to fight for their very survival.
Can be found here
Extra Fanart, for additional heresy
Tropes Covered in the story
- Absurdly Sharp Blade:
- Oshizu's (and thus all Eldar's) sword was justifiably one molecule thick; the Power Sword creates a matter-dismembering field, Rin's katana vibrates to create metal-melting heat and is made of Unobtanium.
- While unable to create a Clean Cut, the Chainsword is just as sharp.
- Accidental Marriage:
- Ace Pilot: Saruyama for the Humongous Mecha, Haruna for the gunship.
- Action Girl: Pretty much every single female character who survives.
- Adam and Eve Plot: Yuu and Akiho invokes this, but while there are way more than two people alive (about 500 million survivors actually), everyone agreed to various extents.
- After Action Report: After a battle or at the end of a chapter.
- After the End
- Always Someone Better: Risa invokes this on Aya, and says that she doesn't even deserve to protect Haruna. Risa is obviously lying, but man that hurts...
- Amazon Brigade: Sisters Of Battle/Adepta Sororitas
- Anachronic Order:
- And Now for Someone Completely Different: Chapter 4 changed the focus to...lesser character in a COMPLETELY different place with Ren as the hero.
- Arc Words: Humanity.
- Armor Is Useless:
- Art Evolution:
- Ascended Extra: many of them, particularly those who lacked real background in Canon. For example, Ren is the main character.
- Ascended Fanboy: Saruyama and Narm
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Ork's default strategy...When desperate, Tenjouin Brigades did this with Attack Drone.
- Bad Ass:
- Badass Boast: Space Marines are into this, but especially this one:
- A-Team Firing: Orks
Rito: I'm 17 and I'm a CAPTAIN OF ELITE COMBAT DIVISION! I'VE FIGHTING ORKS AFTER BREAKFAST AND KILLED MORE ORKS THAN AVERAGE PERSON IN YOUR FLEET!! THE ORKS DEFINITELY UP TO SOMETHING!
- Berserk Button: Komm Susser Todd, don't even SING that near Sister of Battle. Oh, they did. Except it's sister themselves whose sing it...while slaughtering cultist alhought there's VERY SIGNIFICANT difference of number. Guaranteed to sent into comatose after the fight...it can't be few hours to full week.
- Big Eater: considering each Space Marine eat 16000 kilo Calories (8 times average men) a day and that IS an average diet (aka healthy diet) when they're not in a war. To a lesser extent, each member of brigades consumed up to 12000 Kilo Calories a day during their training regime and reduced to around 5000 during their service.
- Battle Couple: The SPARTAN members suspect Rito and Yui are this. Inevitably, SPARTAN themselves composed of male and female in roughly same number. Exception of Rito, Yui, Saruyama, and ESPECIALLY Peke, they're Battle Couple in any sense.
- Battleship Raid: SPARTAN doing this once.
- Beware the Nice Ones: All three main character (Rito, Takumi, and Sousuke), while Rito arguably the scariest, Sousuke is the most dangerous, EVER.
- And PAST Rito are scarier than PRESENT Rito
- Big Book of War: Games Workshop's Warhammer 40K Codex, It Makes Sense in Context.
- Big Fancy Gun: Space Marine. Saruyama said that earth-made Heavy weapons are stripped to naked form so that Guardsmen can use it, they're still 50 pounds
- Bling of War: While Sororitas and NARM played this straight, Guardsmen played this a bit. Their Armor are green-white and no golden marks of sorts (according to author, like this one), in the dark or inside woods they can pass easily as camouflage, while during formal ceremony, they're still fancy enough to shown of.
- Canis Latinicus: Aside from the Division naming (W 40 K tradition), can't forget this exchange
- Boobs of Steel: Chise mocked that the Brigade girls only proud of their bust size, turn's out she's WRONG. Inverted the way they accomplished their task
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer : all of them, don't piss them off
Rito: Yes, it is, proper form; YOU RACIST AMERICAN BASTARD!!!
- Canon Immigrant: Takumi and his Unwanted Harem from Mayoi Neko Overrun has a Big Damn CATS moment! Then Futagami (from an One-Shot Futagami Double) shown up kicking Daemon Horde in Tokyo Tower...
- Character Development
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Averted at one serious time. Sousuke is highly traumatized by the abuse inflicted on him after the girls walking naked with him inside onsen FIRST
- Food Pills/ Future Food Is Artificial: BRICKLOAF (official name and printed in all-caps on the wrapper), is a bar-shaped loaf made of condensed nutrition enough to cover 12-hour expended energy inside a continuous battle (or heavy training). The name comes from its ridiculous density (brick-sized piece weight LIKE A REAL BRICK), and being saturated with fiber, somewhat hard to chew. Subverted that it was available in 25 flavors!
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Rito admit himself as this, he's an elite. Too bad every single New Meat worship him, and Rito DOES know that his propaganda boosts their morale.
- The Captain: Rito and Yuu Kotegawa, among other captain, only these two that didn't have any kind of actual military experience, at first.
- Catchphrase: FOR THE EMPHRAA!!
- Child Soldier: And most of them are Super Soldier
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Dealing with orks' latent-but-subconscious Psychic Power. When they going WAAAGH! their weapon increased in effectiveness (sometimes exponentially). Inversely, a very religious place where people gathered and PRAYING decrease Ork's power.
- Cloning Blues: It's complicated and can be described as: There are three Rito(s). PRESENT Rito (of the SPARTAN, very Bad Ass), PAST Rito (just after confession), and RIKO. Past Rito owns nothing about things after the armageddon (and still a very Original Flavor Butt Monkey), and Riko has painful Fake Memory and identity crisis. The Warp did it
- Colony Drop: not a destructive example.
- Combat Uninterruptus: SPARTAN vs Pretty Marines simulation combat, it's get so fierce that when Daemonspawn shown up they STEAMROLLED in the middle!
- Command And Conquer Economy: The Reason Tenjouin brigade exist and survive is because of shitload of Colony Drop, lead to Easy Logistics below.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: lampshaded, depending on situation, but usually played straight.
- Crazy-Prepared: Tenjouin Family bought entire HOKKAIDO few weeks before invasion, and to a lesser extent:
- Principal secretly build area 72 under Sainan High.
- And Chise bought Area 51 by her new-year allowance.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Rito vs Takumi, a rare Kick the Dog moment for the redhead. Takumi recklessly head out to seek for Nozomi, and Rito tried to stop him. When Takumi lose control and attack him for getting in the way, Rito ended it with three stroke from his rifle butt, despite Takumi wearing heavy kevlar armor at the time. They making up afterwards and found Nozomi...
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: SLAYER bullet, in terms of material they are just a standard tungsten-cored lead rounds. However said core are imprinted with microscopic anti-daemon seal, and whether you are puny heretics or daemon prince, sufficient number of bullets from mundane Pistol/ Revolver (which are better), Shotgun (even better), or AntimaterialRifle, you're as good as dead.
- Destructo-Nookie: One time it was Played for Drama, but later they're exclusively humor.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Yui, of all people, implied to be one, leading to an Ironic Nickname
- Earth Is a Battlefield: It's not, it's hell.
- Easy Logistics: Partially averted. Technology, material and chemical compounds for weapon, armor, and Vehicle construction and operation are sent from space on a regular basis (via Colony Drop). Food, on the other hand.
- Enemy Mine: Straight example is Space Marine and Eldar, they assumed a truce until all the ORKS and CHAOS eradicated completely.
- Finger Poke of Doom: Almost an Eye Scream if it's not a simulation battle, few member of Sororitas and female SPARTAN breaking through NARM optical suite with just two finger and tell them it's their weakest point.
- Five Rounds Rapid: Subverted. Infantry weapon CONSTANTLY upgraded from a standard Bolt Pistol up to Disposable Rocket Launcher and personal Autocannon.
- Forceful Kiss
- Friendly Sniper: Peke, Shape Shifter Superpowered Robot Meter Maid. And Motemitsu, Vindicare goddamn Assassin.
- Geeky Turn-On: Saruyama more....impressed about Nozomi's ability to repair his Dreadnought than her being skirtless at the time.
- Genre Savvy: Saruyama knows whats happened and what CAN and WILL happens. He's an Ascended Fanboy after all
- Get a Hold of Yourself Man: Several moment for heroes, notably:
- The Glasses Gotta Go: As Bio-Augmentation process also repaired eye flaws, this trope is expected. Played straight with Aya (according to Saruyama) and inverted with Mio, the latter claims (and acknowledged by others) that her glasses were one hell of a charm point.
- Good People Have Good Sex: This trope is used very often mostly involving Intimate Psychotherapy.
- Grim Dark: 
- Heroic Sacrifice: unnamed Navigator.He reformed the Earth using godlike powers of the protagonist, effectivelly hit Reset Button loosed his Super Mode and closed The Warp Rift by erasing them from existance.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Lampshaded via Rule of Funny. Mikado-style Bio-Augmentation won't change the appearance of the test subject besides few inch height gain (ridiculously higher with those recently hits puberty) and at the worst, slightly formed muscle.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Sousuke's Fusion Dance power only uber-effective against Ids (and Daemons, and CHAOS SPACE MARINE), so does Oshizu's Ki Attacks. They still powerful enough in a mundane fight (like against Orks), but far from Game Breaker.
- Honor Before Reason: Averted to an extreme measure with SPARTAN Company, they're NOT encouraged to attack using melee method, and should retreat if overwhelmed, then attack again when they're far enough. Defensive Feint Trap is their BREAKFAST.
- Huge Schoolgirl: When undergo Bio-Augmentation, the subject will gain height by few inches (up to 8 inches actually). Notably, this is more of a problem with girls, Saki ESPECIALLY has a problem being 166 cm now (actually just slightly taller than Lala, but Lala is special). Yui is 171 cm and Rin is taller at 173 cm, they has no qualms about that. Note that these are just beyond normal height of Japanese girls and rather ordinary when they meet Eagle Land counterparts.
- Identical Stranger: First time Sousuke met the heroes during Tokyo Tower shownoff, Rito, mistaken him for Yui Kotegawa (albeit they quickly realize he isn't). Later, everyone but two of them mistaken him for Yui's Sister.
- Implacable Man: Generally, NAMED Space Marine are this. But Rito(s) took it to "HOLY SHIT!" level.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Oshizu, Aya, and Nozomi.
- Ironic Nickname: MISS TUNDRA, THE TORMENTOR
- From Bad to Worse: Chapter 3
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Saruyama and Run
- Lady of War: Saki went hammy inside battlefield]] but VERY graceful outside it. Aya is shy on all aspects, but still kick some ass. Haruna is always calm and gentle, even while being a Person of Mass Destruction. Oshizu is clumsy and a somewhat dummy which oddly known kenjutsu. Rin is polished by The Stoic Defrosting Ninja Maid tropes.
- Large Ham: Space Marine's breakfast, To Love-Ru cast are rather calm...except when they step on the battlefield anyway.
- Lensman Arms Race: Chapter 1 shown the Action Survivor using conventional firearm (which is useless) and high-explosive grenades. Chapter 3 depict a War of small-sized TITANS.
- Loud of War: during 'Tokyo Siege', the Orks are so numerous that WAAAAGH!! can be heard echoing allover the city. Rito's solution? Battle Cry with 130 dB Loudspeaker!
- Meaningful Name: Also Awesome Mc Cool Name for all teams, like SPARTAN, Canis Titanicus, Ritter Schild...
- Me Love You Long Time: Played straight as soon as NARM ass-handed by female members of Brigades, NARM develop MASSIVE respect for them (and some of them also hit Love at First Punch), Saruyama notes mostof them WORKS, albeit in Belligerent Sexual Tension variant.
- Mega Neko: Stray Cats' KITTEN CAVALRY!
- La Résistance: Full of em, and always expys of something else.
- Mildly Military: Justified, as the Commissar, highest authority in Tenjouin Brigade is a former Businessman. Lower officers are those who had a taste with real military and they did the job. After modified, these Brigade members is taught by Space Marine with the most basic yet effective military skill, Company Captain is those with much better leadership skill, and below them are Elites (equal Lieutenant) and Squad Leaders (equal Sergeant).
- Modern Major General: Commissar (Ryuga) Tenjouin, as he explained in chapter 3 that all the Junior Officer deciding the strategy and tactics and not him, but he handles everything regarding the wargear production, supply network, and deployment. Then again, he's a businessman.
- Inverted with Saibai, whose very competent when given a Squad (~10) or a Company (~100), and dangerously bad when it comes to ENTIRE DIVISION (>1000).
- Morality Pet: To a lesser extent, Riko is this to Ren, stop him from being a full fledged Jerk Ass. While it's always going back and forth, Motemistu is the ONLY living person Rin ever shown emotions
- Negative Space Wedgie: The Warp
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: During the war between Space Marine & Eldar Cruisers versus Orks battleship, a stray Cyclotron Torpedo explode above Eurasia, nice job making half of the Earth totally undefended.
- Noodle Incident: When Gunship convoy ambushed by ork's Fighta-Bommer, Haruna launch a Slasher Smile, mentioned by captain Yuu.
- No Romantic Resolution: Funny thing that Takumi and his Unwanted Harem problem is UNRESOLVED in any sense, Motemitsu and Saruyama making fun of him mercilessly, only Rito cheers him up.
- One Head Taller: except that one Crack Pairing, invariably the male will be taller, almost everyone got their Love Triangle, and chances one of them is this (lampshaded, thanks to Saruyama). Rito, Ren, Saruyama, Motemitsu and Zastin as comparison.
- Those who aren't completely OHT is Lala and Yui (For Rito), Aya (For Saruyama), Riko and Run (For Ren), and Saki (for Motemitsu).
- And those who certainly OHT is Haruna (For Rito), Mio (For Saruyama), and Saki (For Zastin).
- Platonic Life Partners: Rito and Saki
- Played for Drama: Everything that in the original story always Played for Laughs. From Rito's Made of Iron & Super Speed tendency despite being a Badass Normal, Lala's unnatural Super Strength. And let's not forget about Berserker energy drink from first chapter, which treated as real Combat Drugs by Rito...
- The Power of Love: Mostly they win, sometimes not...
- Power Perversion Potential: SPARTAN, and to the lesser extent, fellow brigades taking this to Refuge in Audacity territory.
- Psychic Power: All Orks (See Clap Your Hands If You Believe above) and all Eldar, Oshizu got one (and peak level one at that) from hundred of years experience as a ghost, Motemitsu's unlucky streak to girl is because he's a complete Blank (Rin is a Blank too, resulting a Cracktastic Battle Couple).
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Rito and Ren, color and Personality. Both are Hot-Blooded, both of them are aspiring leader, but one is a Nice Guy and one is a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Replicant Snatching: Ids, once completed and corrupted, will kill the original and replaced them in society.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Aya went BALLISTIC when Risa humilated her in an almost-lethal live combat, and keep conscious in an EXTENDED crazy-ass 13G maneuver
- Rule of Cool: and Bigger Is Better, for some reason mixing ork fungus in pet food multiplies said pet's size and physical ability. Turns out that 'mutated' orkoid Fungus contain Hormones that increase pet's growth and metabolism until certain level. Cats and Dog + said Fungi = Pet Cavalry.
- Satellite Character: In canon its Aya and Rin, whose their only EXISTENCE is around Saki, also Mio who revolves herself around Haruna. To a lesser extent Saki and Risa, both have distinctly different personality and Character Development among extras, and the first has a patented backstory herself. And don't even start on Ren & Run, actually this is expected from Motemitsu-Senpai.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: While Saki grown out of it, Chise isn't, until Saki Bright Slap her and led to:
- Situational Sexuality: See Battle Couple above, sometimes, Power of Love averted just that hard.
- Squee: Sisters' reaction when Rito sing...this.
- Stay in the Kitchen: oddly this applies to UNDERAGE and half of the ADULTS regardless of gender (Competence Zone played too much?), Underages largely founded themselves well protected in the colony by a local defense forces composed half of the adults, while the latter half provides logistic support and such. Modified teens, boy or girl, going into the front line and treated as equal (Positive Discrimination really hit both gender).
- Super Soldier: Generally all young members of the Brigades, while Space Marine is just that... Extreme, all the members has been modified to the peak of their body while remains a normal human.
- Tank Goodness: like this one that sum its up:
: HEY YA ORKS, GOOD MORNING AND SAY HELLO TO MAH DEMOLISHER CANNON!!
- The Heartless: Ids, no matter if they're good or evil, are always chaotic.
- The Lancer: Yui to Rito and Saki to Lala
- Techno Babble: Ascended Fanboy prone to this
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else: Tenjouin brigade specifically LIMIT the Bio-Augmentation potential so that beyond increased height and theoretically overweight yet ideally lean body, it's rather hard to tell the difference between normal and Enhanced Teenagers.
- Tokyo Fireball: EXTERMINATUS!
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe: In an inversion, Tokyo is so symbolic that some factions marked Tokyo as 'Final battlegrounds'.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: EVERYONE.
- Took Several Level In Badass: No choice
- Training from Hell: Implied during first Time Skip
- Specifically, first Seven day of the Bio-Augmentation are total Nightmare Fuel/ Nausea Fuel. After that things are getting lighter, with the recruits are taught to handle the weapons and vehicles properly with few hours field training session a day. The actual training begin on the second week is the hellish one....
- Tsundere: Several. There are Yui, Amane, and Fumino.
- Unkempt Beauty: Yui, Rin, Haruna and Aya. The first and second is like 'Have no time for that', the third and fourth not discard make-up, they just very modest about that.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Rito
- The War Sequence: Often. But... Chapter 3
- Weak, but Skilled: Haruna and Aya.
- We Have Reserves: Attack Drone, plenty of them!
- Wham Episode: Several times.
- The Worf Effect: Played Straight and Subverted with orks.If humans fight them properly they can win with ease. Otherwise they are very strong.
- World Half Empty: When (Possessed) Prototype Marines said that the Earth is dead, cue Saruyama doing Dynamic Entry:
- Zerg Rush: Orks, and the worst one is Cult of Emperor. Subverted by Guardsmen that they relies on number, but without decent strategy they'll steamrolled by Orks.