Fan Fic / Utopia Unmade
is a Pretty Cure Fan Fic
by teawithmugi. It’s a fantasy AU featuring the cast of Fresh Pretty Cure!
, HeartCatch Pretty Cure!
, Suite Pretty Cure ♪
, and Smile Pretty Cure!
. The Precure Kingdom is ruled and protected by the Precure, and the kingdom has risen to power after the recent war. The kingdom enjoys good relations with Majorland and Märchenland. Queen Beauty rules over the kingdom in this new age of peace. On the surface it appears to be a paradise.
Yet all is not well. Cure Moonlight, the greatest of the Precure, has recently disappeared in the north, where the Desert Apostles are attacking again. Labyrinth is rising up from underground to reclaim their lands. The kingdom’s own allies have their own issues with it. And many of the Precure themselves have become wary of the state of the kingdom after the war.
Tsubomi, who only recently became Cure Blossom, is sent to be Moonlight’s replacement along with Erika, who recently became Cure Marine herself. Cure Peach investigates the attacks that seem to be plaguing the countryside, but Love herself has grown cynical about the Precure Kingdom. Meanwhile, Hibiki leaves Majorland to perform at the Palace of Smiles, despite Kanade telling her not to go, and finds herself embroiled in the center of the kingdom’s political problems. And Eas is leading the search for Infinity so that Labyrinth can reclaim what it once had.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Action Girl: All of the Precure are supposed to be strong combatants. Cure Peach and Cure Marine have shown off their skills the most so far.
- Alternate Universe: The fic takes place in a fantasy world unconnected to the canon Pretty Cure series.
- An Axe to Grind: Cure Sunshine seems to use an axe in battle, but she doesn't get the chance to use it when the Sunflower Aegis falls.
- Enemy Mine: The Fresh and Heartcatch Cures reluctantly join with Sabaaku and his Desert Apostles in order to fight Beauty when she goes mad.
- False Utopia: A major theme is that the Precure Kingdom is not as perfect as some of its residents make it out to be.
- Founder of the Kingdom: Cure Black and Cure White were the Cures that established the Precure Kingdom in the distant past, and White became the kingdom's first queen.
- Great Offscreen War: The Bad End War that took place in the past, where Pierrot took control of Märchenland and attacked Majorland. The Precure Kingdom aided Majorland and eventually exterminated all the residents of the Bad End Kingdom. This was when Love realized the Precure Kingdom was heading towards something bad.
- Heel–Face Mole: Eas pretends to defect from Labyrinth in order to find Infinity inside the Precure Kingdom. Love trusts her, though Tarte is more suspicious.
- Heroic Lineage: Tsubomi is the granddaughter of the famous Cure Flower, who beat Dune in the past. She feels that she was only able to become a Precure because of that.
- The High Queen: Queen Beauty gives most people the impression that she is a wise and fair ruler. Underneath that however is someone who is not afraid to be ruthless to get what she wants.
- Kangaroo Court: When Miki is accused of being the assassin, Love assumes she has no chance of getting an innocent verdict due to Reika's rivalry with her. Since Precure are judged by other Cures, she manages to convince all the other Cures in the Palace of Smiles except those closest to Reika to vote innocent. It ends up being in vain, as Miki is condemned to death due to Reika exploiting a law that states absent Precure automatically vote the defendant guilty.
- Making a Splash: Cure Marine has mild control over water, being able to sense it underground. She's also able to directly control it and drown people in it, as Kumojacky found out the hard way.
- The Mole:
- Nisser, one of the soldiers defending Sandstorm is actually Cobraja, and he sabotages Sandstorm’s defenses in order to let the Desert Apostles in.
- Ellen fed information to Cure Happy about Hibiki and Kanade's strained relationship after being promised she could become the songstress of Majorland again. She regrets it by the time she is found out.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After feeling betrayed by everyone and denied the chance to sing the Melody of Happiness, Ellen sings the Melody of Sorrow at the request of Eas. This helps start the Labyrinth attack on the Palace of Smiles, and she is horrified at the destruction caused.
- Parental Abandonment:
- Magnolia was sent away from her parents when she was young because her they couldn't take her to the Mirage Tower for work. She hasn't seen them since.
- Tsubomi's parents live as diplomats in the Kingdom of Sweets while she lived with her grandmother in the Garden of Hope. She doesn't see them much.
- Politically Active Princess: Princess Ako/Cure Muse of Majorland helped bring peace between her nation and the Precure Kingdom.
- The Resenter: Ellen resents Hummy after she was chosen to become the songstress of Majorland instead of Ellen, and she felt betrayed when Hibiki and Kanade showered Hummy with praise.
- Restored My Faith in Humanity: Ever since the Bad End War, where Love saw how bad self-righteous people can act, Love thought everyone was bad. Meeting Setsuna, who seems to have a kind heart despite a hard life, rekindles her belief that people are good.
- The Siege: Sandstorm is a strong city with high walls, so when the Desert Apostles attack, Cure Marine is hopeful that they'll be able to hold out until Cure Sunshine arrives with reinforcements. Thanks to the Apostles' numbers, Cobraja's sabotage and Dark Precure's strength, the city falls in less then a day.
- Switching P.O.V.: Each chapter is focses on one of Tsubomi, Erika, Hibiki, Kanade, Love, or Eas, switching every chapter.
- The Usurper: Miki Aono was supposed to be queen, as her house had been chosen to rule. However, Reika Aoki, whose family had broken off from House Aono, just sat on the throne and declared House Aoki had the rights to the throne.
- Winter Royal Lady: Reika is queen, and her family's lands are under a spell of eternal winter. As Cure Beauty she has ice powers.
- Wonder Twin Powers: Cures Melody and Rhythm are notable for being the only two Precures that need each other to transform. All others transform solo.
- Young and in Charge: Reika is only 16, yet she’s already queen of the Precure Kingdom.