"The child of Fujimi. She, who had the great poet as her father... With her ability to invoke death in any human being, and the mystery of her fated connection with the Saigyou Ayakashi... It is no wonder that soon after her birth, she was sentenced to a lifetime of seclusion."Touhou Tonari (full name: Touhou Tonari Atte Futari, Mukai Atte Sannin, Two By This Side, Three By The Other Side) is a Touhou fan manga released in 2008 written and illustrated by "Personal Color" focusing on Yuyuko's backstory and her relation to Yukari based on known facts and fan speculations from Perfect Cherry Blossom. As one might expect, it's a Tear Jerker.
— Yukari about Yuyuko.
This fan manga provides examples of:
- The Aloner: Just in case the quote at the top of the page didn't hammer the point home.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Deconstructed, hard.
- Bittersweet Ending: Yukari fells into an Heroic B.S.O.D. after touching the diary and seeing Yuyuko's last moments alive. Yuyuko, believing the girl in the diary to be someone else, tells Yukari to come to terms with the girl's death and Yuyuko is happy that Yukari loves her for who she is and not being a Replacement Goldfish. Yes, Yuyuko might never know the truth about the dead girl buried in the Saigyou Ayakashi, but this is the happy ending they could get.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: This was how Yuyuko's power manifested when she was alive.
- Cooldown Hug: Yuyuko gives Yukari one after she had touched the diary and seen Yuyuko's last moments alive, sending Yukari into an Heroic B.S.O.D.. This is the only thing that prevents this work from having a Downer Ending.
- Cute Ghost Girl
- Despair Event Horizon
- Despair Speech: soon follows.
- Doomed by Canon: Yuyuko.
- Dramatic Drop: Yuyuko drops her paper fan after Yukari touched one of her butterflies and survived, directly followed by her shedding tears.
- Driven to Suicide
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Yuyuko delivers this to Yukari in one scene.
- Heavy Sleeper: Yukari, with a rather dark twist. The events of Yuyuko's death caused her to be severly traumatized and she gets a Heroic B.S.O.D. every winter if she doesn't.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Yuyuko has this when she noticed that her butterflies started to cause pain even for Yukari after the latter had spent several years by her side removing said butterflies. Yuyuko's suicide soon followed.
- Said suicide caused one for Yukari as well.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Yuyuko, a young girl with the ability to invoke death and Yukari, an ancient Reality Warper.
- Original Flavour: This being a fanfic set in Yuyuko's past it attempts to stick close to Touhou canon.
- Power Incontinence: This was a severe problem for Yuyuko when she was alive, her power sometimes leaked if she didn't use it regularly.
- Replacement Goldfish: Yuyuko considers herself to be a substitute of sorts for the girl buried in the Saigyou Ayakashi, notocing that Yukari was very fond of her, not knowing that the girl is herself. Half of the plot is Yuyuko attempting to show Yukari that she is her own person and to get in terms with the girl's death.
- Super-Power Meltdown: Ran asked Yukari to why she didn't just seal Yuyuko's power. Yukari replied with that this would be the inevitable end result.
- Tender Tears: When Yukari appeared unaffected by the butterflies of death, Yuyuko shed these.
- What The Hell Yukari: Yuyuko confronts Yukari about her decision to revive Yuyuko claiming that she was just running away rather than face the sadness of losing someone.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The fic has Yuyuko Saigyouji not able to control her powers over death while she was alive, which caused her to commit suicide.