Fan Fic: Touhou M-1 Grand Prix
The Touhou M-1 Grand Prix
『東方M-1ぐらんぷり』 is a series of manzai
comedy fan vids
characters, it has been released at various Reitaisai & Comiket conventions by R-note
(formerly Yellow Zebra
). The first two competitions had fan-made videos
for the original audio plays
, while the third and later competitions were animated by the artist tondex
『沌x』, and later two remakes of the first two competitions.In-Universe
the event was founded by Eiki Shiki
, and is run by Rinnosuke Morichika
plus different special guests
. Four to six pairs of challengers compete, whose skits are then judged by a guest panel
, with two finalists who face off to determine the winner. Being a comedy
series, this doesn't always happen.
A complete list of English subtitled videos is available is here and here
This series provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of the Autobacs M-1 Grand Prix.
- Art Evolution: The first two contests were fan-animated. From the third contest on, the art was done by 『沌x』, starting with traditional then moving to flash animation.
- Boke & Tsukkomi Routine: with Touhou characters.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: many of those playing the boke
- Corpsing: Happens quite frequently during skits.
- Limited Animation: The third and fourth competitions feature traditionally animated characters with little to no movement, while from the fifth and onwards the animation is made using motion tweens.
- Only Six Faces: Starting from the seventh competition, all the female characters have identical facial features and expressions.
- Competition Freak: More than one competitor.
- Gratuitous English: "Judgey" every time judging starts. Plus at various times in the skits.
- Lost in Translation: Many of the puns have an accompanying Wall of Text from requiring a thorough explanation.
- Marshmallow Hell: Ran gives one to Chen during the 6th Grand Prix and Utsuho gives one to Rin also during the 6th.
- Musical Episode: A constantly interrupted example from Binary Drop in the 6th contest, though there is an edited version.
- Obasan: A skit between Kanako and her partner-goddess Suwako Moriya plays this up, with Suwako calling Kanako "baa-baa" ("grandma" or "old hag") several times during the routine. Kanako initially requests to be called onee-san, but eventually resorts to pointing out that she's younger than Suwako is.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Used often for comedic effect.
- Punch Clock Villain: Tewi does a meta-version of this in one skit
- The Remake: For Comiket 84 (August 2013), R-note released a remake of the first contest, done by the same artist who had drawn everything from the third one on. Comiket 86 (August 2014) saw a remake of the second contest, by the same artist as well.
- Rule of Funny: The entire purpose of the series.
- Spooky Photographs: Parodied in the Were Phoenix skit of the 4th M-1 Grand Prix, where Keine teaches Mokou how to act in a funeral parlor. Mokou suddenly decides to take a picture of the recently deceased, but when she looks at the photo she took, she sees a picture of the Cute Ghost Girl of the PC-98 Touhou series, Mima!