Fan Fic: Things Better Left Untouched
An author-admitted Self-Insert Fic
pertaining to Resident Evil
. It can be found here
. The basic premise is the same as most other Self Insert Fics
, where the character, Anita Reyes, knows about what's going to happen, because of being a fan of the series. The twist comes in the form that it's also an author-stated Deconstruction
of the basic concept. It has since been deleted by the author.
Tropes in this work
- Agent Scully: Nobody in their right mind would believe they were in a fictional work off the bat.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The Stinger and Centurion, offscreen.
- Beige Prose: At first.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Anita sometimes slips into Spanish. It's translated just afterward.
- Body Horror: Rebecca gets covered in acid burns because of a Leech Zombie. Think about that for a second.
- Cassandra Truth: The idea that Anita is from a dimension/universe where what's currently happening is a video game series. The writing goes out of the way to point out that it's more reasonable to think she's an Umbrella employee, since she knows the layout of the buildings, where the BOWs are, how to kill them, and the solutions to the puzzles.
- Cryptic Conversation
- Eye Scream: Anita gets clawed in the face by the Prototype Tyrant of Resident Evil 0.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Rebecca and Billy.
- For Want of a Nail: So far, because of Anita's involvement, Enrico got killed by James Marcus instead of Wesker and Rebecca gets covered in acid burns. Rebecca doesn't get involved in the Mansion Incident and Billy ends up sticking around instead of ditching town.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Anita and, strangely, George Hamilton
- I Never Told You My Name: Not specifically names, but information only a few people would know in the first place.
- Mary Sue: The author is trying to avoid it, asking people to inform her if she starts getting close to it.
- Plot Armor: Anita mentions it by name when referring to how Billy and Rebecca didn't get injured in the train crash.
- Reality Ensues
- Running Gag: "Psychic powers"
- "How do you know that?" (Or some variation.)
- Schedule Slip
- Self-Insert Fic: Deconstruction
- Shown Their Work: It's entirely possible to get a concussion on top of a concussion and it's very, very bad.
- Take That: The Resident Evil movies, particularly Alice
- Tap on the Head: Averted
- Unreliable Narrator
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Acrophobia