Fan Fic: The Worlds Greatest Chunin Exam Team
The World's Greatest Chunin Exam Team is a Naruto Fan Fic by Dane Namor.Summary on FanFiction.net: Set a year after the war. Naruto, frustrated at being told he's going to have to miss out on another Chunin exam due to no available teams, seeks to solve the problem himself. The story of an S-Class Ninja forming an equally ridiculous team to compete against Genin. [Some NaruHina] (Complete)As the summary says, Naruto has to miss out on another Chunin Exam due to the lack available spots on the Konoha Genin Teams. Initially, he isn't that mad — at least until he finds out Konohamaru is going to be in the exams, and intends to become Chunin. Horrified at the thought of taking orders from a kid who is four years younger than him, Naruto gathers a overpowered team from the other villages in order to enter the exams and finally get that promotion.A Crack Fic that deconstructs the standard "Naruto retakes the Chunin Exam" fic.
This fic contains examples of:
- All Is Well That Ends Well: To prevent a debacle like this from ever happening again, several political figures and diplomats have requested that all three members of Team Terumi are to be promoted straight to jonin.
- Almighty Janitor: Naruto, B, and Gaara are all S-class shinobi and jinchuriki (former in Gaara's case). Naruto and B are essentially the heroes of the war, while Gaara is a Kage and was the General of the Allied Shinobi Forces. They're all also genin who are about to take the Chunin Exam.
- Anti-Climax: The "super-powerful" genin team from Kiri that Team Terumi has to face during the first round of the finals, later lampshaded by Naruto. They proclaim that they have been hiding their strength from everyone they know, rant about how they want revenge on Naruto (Minato killed their parents in a border skirmish a few years before Naruto was born), and boast about their super-rare and powerful bloodlines. B beats them fifteen seconds later.
- Bad Bad Acting: B is incredibly hammy and over the top, Naruto reads from cue cards, and Gaara has a deadpan monotone. Thankfully, their skills and strength make up for it.
- Bullying a Dragon: The Kiri team honestly thought they could take on Naruto, let alone all of Team Terumi. Even if they had the skills to compare to S-rank ninja, they lacked the experience to utilize those skills effectively.
- Comically Missing the Point: Naruto is more concerned about how the Kiri team is ruining their performance than them wanting to kill him.Naruto (thinking): These idiots are ruining our performance! People might realize me and Gaara were just faking it!
- The Comically Serious: Gaara.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Team Terumi vs. anyone.
- Deconstruction: The situation from Anti-Climax. As Gaara points out, their attempt to retain a weak appearance backfired on them, as they were never given tough missions or training. Self-training can only get you so far, and experience is far more valuable than relying on a powerful bloodline.
- The fic in general. Word of God explicitly states that the purpose of this fic is to lampoon the Fandom-Specific Plot of Naruto retaking the Chunin Exams and struggling to pass and compete against genin despite being one of, if not THE most powerful shinobi in the world. This phenomenon was a result of the belief that the Chunin Exams were incredibly difficult even for higher-level shinobi thanks to the original Chunin Exam arc. As Dane Namor points out, those particular exams were completely out of the norm because several high-class shinobi like Orochimaru and Kabuto had infiltrated the exams and were obviously not suppose to be there. The idea that an older Naruto having any trouble at all in the Chunin Exams is downright laughable for anything short of another S-class shinobi being in the exams — the fact that it happened in his first one was a million to one chance that would be unlikely to happen again, even with Naruto's luck.
- Everybody Knew Already: The Kiri team makes a big deal about how they found out Naruto is the Fourth Hokage's son...only for Naruto to deadpan at them and ask if they've been living under a rock for the past year so. He even explicitly points out how he basically announced he was Minato's son in front of the entire army during the war, coupled with the fact that Edo Tensei Minato arrived on the battlefield not long after and called him his son. While it was a big secret before (more so than Naruto being Kurama's jinchuriki), it certainly isn't much of a secret now. To be fair though, the Kiri team was faking being weak at the time and so they weren't part of the war.
- Large Ham: B, especially during the finals.
- Loophole Abuse: Everywhere. Tsunade said that if Naruto could find a team, she would allow him to enter. Conveniently, nowhere does it say in the rules that the members of the team all have to be from the same village.
- Technically, a Kage still retains the rank they had before they were given their title. Since Gaara was immediately groomed to be Kazekage after the invasion, he never retook the exams and is still technically a genin, making him eligible to participate as a member of Team Terumi. This is also the same technicality that allows Mei to be the team's jounin-sensei, even though she's the Mizukage.
- Mêlée à Trois: After the final match of the Finals, Team Terumi decides to have a free-for-all between the three of them because they thought the last match was too boring.
- Oh, Crap: Everyone in the exam once they realize that Team Terumi is participating in the Chunin Exam where there are only genin competing against them.
- Person of Mass Destruction: This fic is basically an imagining if you stuck three of these on the same team to enter the Chunin Exam... with everyone knowing who they are.
- Stunned Silence: The audience is dumbfounded by Team Terumi's antics during the finals.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Team Terumi consists of Naruto, B, and Gaara, who are all S-class ninja (and in Gaara's case, a Kage), with Mei Terumi, the Mizukage, as their jonin-sensei. And said team is entering the Chunin Exam. You can guess what'll happen.
- Token Minority: Naruto based his entire team around that concept. There's Naruto (Konoha), B (Kumo), Gaara (Suna), and Mei (Kiri). If Mei hadn't accepted Naruto's offer to be their jonin-sensei, Naruto would've convinced Kurotsuchi (Iwa) instead.
- Too Dumb to Live: The Kiri team. They honestly thought that with their abilities they could take out two jinchuriki and a Kage, all of whom are S-Class ninja. Not even Tobi would take such a force so lightly.
- Troll: Hinata's father, Hiashi. Yes, really. He makes a grand speech about how grateful he is to Naruto for his actions changing his daughters and his Clan as a whole for the better and then offers him Hanabi's hand in marriage. Then a few seconds later he starts laughing at everyone's faces, and reveals that he had someone take a picture of their reaction, which he plans to frame in honor of his first prank.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Deliberate. As the story was published before the end of the manga and Sasuke's fate was still uncertain at the time, Dane Namor consciously did not address Sasuke or his fate in anyway to avoid stirring up the hornet's nest.
- Worth It: Naruto certainly thinks so.