Fan Fic: The Vinyl And Octavia Series
An ongoing fanfiction series by DoctorSpectrum
, published sporadically on Fimfiction.Net
. Each one revolves around Vinyl Scratch and Octavia of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fame, as the title suggests
. Although each can be read on their own, there are explicit and implicit references to the other stories in the series, and a few subplots which carry throughout the series.
In both publishing and continuity order, the stories are:
- Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle: Vinyl and Octavia meet for the first time whilst on holiday to the Amarezon Jungle. After a less than brilliant meeting the two find themselves separated from their tour group and lost in the jungle. Before they know it, they're racing an evil baron and his bumbling assistant to find an ancient treasure and escape from the jungle.
- Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk: Set a few months after Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle, Vinyl and Octavia are now living together. After Vinyl comes home drunk one night too many and Octavia complains, Vinyl convinces her to go out drinking with her. Intoxication Ensues.
- Vinyl and Octavia Are Forcibly Shipped: Around a year or so after they first met, Vinyl and Octavia are on another holiday when they find themselves kidnapped and being forcibly shipped by an unknown pony. It'll take all of their strength to get out of this one alive.
- Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas: A quiet evening at home for Octavia is spoiled when she's unexpectedly attacked by ninjas. She and Vinyl are then forced to work together to fight them off and discover who's behind the attack.
- Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates: Vinyl and Octavia have agreed to go on two dates, with each pony hosting a date for the other.
- Vinyl and Octavia Engage in Roleplay: After Octavia finds an old copy of the Pony Tales handbook, she convinces Vinyl to get into roleplaying.
- The Alcoholic: Vinyl Scratch is one, although it's not really that important to the series.
- The Amarezon: The setting of Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Although Vinyl and Octavia do argue and bicker a lot, there's usually at least one scene per story in which one will do something nice for the other.
- Battle Couple: Not that they go around fighting a lot, but it certainly applies.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Mostly used for jokes and comedy, particularly in Vinyl and Octavia Are Forcibly Shipped and Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas.
- Big Bad: Each fic has at least one antagonist.
- Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle: Baron von Darkhoof and Stumblefeather
- Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk: The bartender, although he's a minor example.
- Vinyl and Octavia Are Forcibly Shipped: Baron von Darkhoof and Stumblefeather, again.
- Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas: Octavius and Bass Drop.
- Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates: Neon Lights.
- Black Spot: Parodied. Octavia panics when she thinks that Vinyl has the Spot, only for it to be revealed to be some grease.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Octavia gets much more drunk than Vinyl when she drinks, although to be fair when she does get drunk it's the result of her drinking a lot of alcohol in a short time.
Octavia merely stood on the same spot, and stared off into the distance. “I just vomited a lot of stuff, Vinyl…” she said weakly.
- Character Development: Throughout the course of the first story, Vinyl and Octavia learn to put up with each other and become friends. Perhaps best exemplified by Vinyl calling Octavia by her full name for the first time. Aside from a few moments far and few between, that's stuck.
- Chased by Angry Natives: Once the natives of Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle realise that Vinyl is seeking out their treasure, all bets of friendliness are off.
- Continuity Nod: Occur quite frequently. For example, in Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates, Octavia mentions that she's fought ninjas before, without any other context being given.
- Denser and Wackier: From Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk onwards, the series is much more comedic and has more handwavings used. Lampshaded.
Octavia: Remember the days when we did normal things like getting lost in the jungle and going treasure hunting? I miss them.
- Deus ex Machina: Lampshaded to the point of parody. Vinyl is saved from a sword stab by a subwoofer she apparently had strapped to her chest. The model of the subwoofer? The Deus Ex Machina 9000.
- Double Meaning Title: Aside from the obvious, Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates can also refer to the fact that the story opens on Vinyl and Octavia eating a lot of dates (the fruit).
- Early-Installment Weirdness: The first story in the series is more or less a straight adventure story. Although there is comedy, the story itself is not one, unlike the rest of the series. There's no sexual tension between Vinyl and Octavia, and aside from a few mentionings of shipping, there is no hint that the two have feelings for one another. Finally, this story is around forty-thousand words long and spread out over multiple chapters, unlike the rest of the series, which are all one-shots (with the exception of Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates, but that's still only two chapters and is in fact shorter than some of the other stories).
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The title of each story usually also serves as a synopsis.
- First Name Basis: See Character Development.
- Foil: Neon Lights has a very similar personality to Vinyl, but unlike her he seems much more selfish and doesn't care about ponies other than himself. Admittedly, Vinyl can often seem selfish, but it's made clear several times that she cares about Octavia.
- Friendly Enemy: Stumblefeather is quite friendly to Vinyl and Octavia. During the climax of Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle, he stops fighting Vinyl to sit down and friendlily explain to her why he works with Baron von Darkhoof.
- Giant Spider: One captures Vinyl and Octavia in its web in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle.
- The Glomp
“You finally called me Octavia!” Octavia squealed, leaping at Vinyl in some sort of hug attack.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: In scenes and stories which are less action-oriented, Vinyl Scratch is often drinking or mentioned to be hungover.
- Hidden Depths: Although Vinyl Scratch has a personality similar to hers in most My Little Pony fanfiction, it's strongly implied that she's very intelligent. Probably the best example would be in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle, in which she arranges to separate Octavia and herself from the tourist group after subtly testing Octavia to see whether she'd be a good help in the jungle, all the while making it look like a genuine accident.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: Lampshaded. After stealthily breaking into Vinyl and Octavia's house, a ninja smashes a window on purpose, saying that leaping through windows is the sort of cool entrance ninjas should be doing.
- Hollywood Natives: In Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle.
- Hungry Jungle: The setting of Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Every title of every story in the series is "Vinyl and Octavia..." followed by a general synopsis of the plot. To a lesser extent, as there's only two chapters, Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates has the chapters named Octavia's Date with Vinyl and Vinyl's Date with Octavia respectively.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: The fourth story in a nutshell. In the author notes, the author flat-out says that he wrote the story because he wanted to write a story with ninjas in it.
- Intoxication Ensues: Sums up Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk quite nicely.
- Lampshade Hanging: Occurs a lot. Possibly the best is a flashback which recaps the series - Vinyl and Octavia talk to a pony named Exposition, who asks them some questions which sum up what's happened so far.
“Ah yes, I do recall speaking to Exposition,” Octavia said, as Vinyl finished explaining. “She certainly lived up to her name.”
- Like an Old Married Couple: Half of the fun of the series is reading the bickering and bantering between Vinyl and Octavia.
- MacGuffin: The treasure in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle.
- The Natives Are Restless: At least, until it turns out that they're quite friendly.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: For a brief scene in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle, the two ponies find themselves wading through a river filled with crocodiles.
- Overly Long Name: Pretty much every title in the series, although Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle probably takes the cake.
- Pocket Protector: Parodied; Vinyl survives a stabbing from a sword thanks to a miniature subwoofer she has strapped to her chest.
- Punny Name: It's My Little Pony, so naturally the name of the jungle setting of the first story is the Amarezon.
- Quicksand Sucks: Vinyl briefly gets trapped in some in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle.
- Red Herring: Vinyl and Octavia both have several items with them in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle which are never used.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Vinyl is red, Octavia is blue. Both show shades of the other at times, however.
- The Reveal: The climax of Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas has the identities of the leaders of the ninja clan, who sent the ninjas to capture Vinyl and Octavia, revealed: Bass Drop and Octavius, their male counterparts from another dimension.
- Relationship Upgrade: At the end of Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates.
- Rule 63: In Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas, the leaders of the ninja clan turn out to be Rule 63 versions of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch from another universe.
- Running Gag: In Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas, ponies repeatedly question whether the plural of ninja is ninjas or ninja.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest
“Can you believe this mare, Octavia?” Vinyl laughed. “Just because you’d totally do me, she thinks that we’re in a relationship!”
- Sleep Cute: At the end of Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk, in a contrast to the opening of the story.
- Shout-Out: In Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas, each ninja name is an anagram of a character from Naruto.
- In the same fic, a DJ named the Hypno Hustler is briefly mentioned. Hypno Hustler is the name of a (very) minor Spider-Man villain.
- One of the chapters of Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle is called Temple of Doom.
- Smoke Out: Several variants, both comedic and played straight, occur in Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas.
- Show Within a Show: Vinyl and Octavia get a story written about their jungle adventure. It's implied to be fairly badly written.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: The bartender. He was just doing his job.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Vinyl and Octavia spend a lot of time arguing with each other, but they clearly get along with and like each other.
- Volleying Insults: Octavia and Neon Lights get into one of these in Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates. For bonus points, each insult they make is a pun of some sort.
- Ungrateful Bastard: After Octavia saves Baron von Darkhoof from the natives in Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through the Jungle, not only does he not thank her, he calls the guards on her and then flies off.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After the first story, Vinyl's father is more or less never mentioned, nor is his fate.
- Who Would Want to Watch Us?: Vinyl and Octavia are told that their adventures sound quite interesting, and that a book would sell quite well. They reply with this trope nearly word-for-word.
- Will They or Won't They?: Teased quite a bit from Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk to Vinyl and Octavia Fight Ten Thousand Ninjas.
- Wine Is Classy: When Vinyl convinces Octavia to go out drinking with her in Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk, Octavia tricks Vinyl into coming with her to a wine-tasting festival, the implication being that wine is one of the few types of alcohol that Octavia enjoys.
- You Fight Like a Cow: In Vinyl and Octavia Have Multiple Dates, Octavia ends up getting into a pun battle with Neon Lights. Also includes a Shout-Out to the Trope Namer.
Neon Lights: Yeah well, you… you… You- fight like a cow!
Octavia: How appropriate. You fight like a dairy farmer.