Fan Fic / The Three Legacies
A Detective Conan Fan Fic
by Magic Conan 14
that can be read here
. First published in 2012, this fic has a bit of a mystery at the start and eventually becomes a fantasy fighting story. Its real name is Legacy
, but due to its name being quite common in the fanfiction search engine, the alternate title is used here.
Toichi Kuroba, as most Detective Conan
and Magic Kaito
fans will know, is dead already. However, what if
he was still alive? That's what this fic attempts to answer.
Through Toichi's 'will', Kaito receives a clue as to where his father is, and ends up dragging Conan and Heiji into the mess because of a special...trait...the three of them share: magic. Not enough to be up to scratch with The Mysterious School's characters
, but still enough to pull off a decent fight. (Note that the word 'legacy' is used in-universe for said magic.)
Legacy/The Three Legacies contains examples of:
- Calling Your Attacks: Zigzagged. The moves' names aren't used in battle at all, but it's revealed after the first battle that the moves do have names. Other than the author using the names in the description of battles, they have no use.
- Clothing Damage: The author has some relish in pointing out this for Kaito:
"...the katana that had made its way through [Kaito's] iconic suit had ignited and burnt not only the costume, but the person inside it as well."
- Chrome Champion: Conan - he can turn himself (and anything he touches) into steel.
- Death Dealer: Of course, this is the Kaito Kid we're dealing with in this fic. But there's a catch: the ammo is fueled by magic, allowing the results to be more damaging than usual.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Sera.
- Faking the Dead: If Toichi didn't die from the 'magic accident' in Magic Kaito canon, then he would have faked it. Simple as that.
- Flaming Sword: Heiji can do this with Sword Dance, although the sword doesn't actually have flames surrounding it all the time.
- Flight: Conan's legacy gives him the ability to do this.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Conan struggles a little bit with his second legacy.
- Making a Splash: Subaru.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Kaito has a legacy called 'Immunity'. Like it says, it demonstrates this trope by allowing him to not get hurt too badly in any fight.
- No-Sell: Water against Conan's Iron Defence.
- Phantom Thief: The Kaito Kid. Both of them.
- Playing with Fire: Heiji's legacy consists of two powers that have this trope. See Flaming Sword for the first. The second is making shields out of fire.
- Shout-Out: To I Am Number Four, by using the word 'legacy' as an alternate name for superpowers/magic.
- Signature Move: Kinda unavoidable since there's a limit on moves.
- Stealth Pun: Room 1412 from chapter 3. You don't really need to know the specifics to get that one if you know the origin of Kaito Kid.
- The moves' names are Pokemon moves which do roughly the same thing as their in-story counterparts.
- Wind from Beneath My Wings: Conan stops a speeding bullet by using this trope. However, said bullet was made to be harmless, so if he got hit, it wouldn't be too bad.
- Winged Humanoid: Conan's legacy allows him to become this.