Fan Fic: The Tangled Princess Bride
The Tangled Princess Bride
is a Crossover fanfic by Wolfram-and-Hart-Sauron crossing Tangled
with The Princess Bride
in a fun story full of cameos, in-jokes and the same adventure/romance that we loved of the original tales.
The framing device is The King of Corona is reading to his grandchildren from a book called "The Nineteen 80's"
, with classic tales such as Gremlins
, The Secret Of NIMH
and more. The one he chooses is The Princess Bride
, a story that "has sword fights, pirates, giants, barbarians, intrigue, conspiracy, torture, monsters, true love, magic, revenge, miracles and death."
The story proper is about Rapunzel, daughter of Lady Gothel who was born with magic blonde hair, and her true love Eugene, a stable boy. When they realize their feelings, fate conspires against them, as Eugene becomes lost at sea when going to seek his fortune to earn Rapunzel's hand.
Years later, Rapunzel becomes engaged to Prince Walter (the guard captain from Tangled
), son of King Edward and Queen Nancy of Andalasia
. However, not long after the engagement, she is kidnapped while out riding her horse Maximus. The kidnappers were Yzma
), Hook Hand Garret (the world's greatest fencer
, traveling to avenge his parents
), Vladimir (the above-mentioned giant
), and Ulf the mime. They are followed and hampered by a mysterious man in black who seems determined to stop them at all costs. The following adventures are madcap, iconic, and brilliant.
The Tangled Princess Bride provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of The Princess Bride, with added Disney whimsy and fun.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: The Pachyderms Of Unusual Hue (P.O.U.H) in the Fire Swamp.
- April Fools' Plot: At the end of Chapter 14, The King drops the book and loses his place. When he starts reading again, he's in a totally different story, Tangled Die Hard. Quickly realizing his mistake, he closes the book and flips back to the right story. The kids beg for that to be the next story read to them, but Grandpa refuses as to avoid the wrath of the kids' Mom and Grandma.
- Arranged Marriage: Rapunzel and Walter
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: At the climax, Gothel is declared under arrest for assault, kidnapping, attempted murder, high treason, and tampering with the mail.
- Battle of Wits: Between Yzma and the Man in Black.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In universe example: When the kids interrupt the "I See The Light" scene, Rapunzel and Flynn yell at them for ruining the moment, and leaving them, Pascal and their grandfather stunned that a book yelled at them.
- The Cameo: At least one in almost every chapter. Most notably Edward and Nancy from Enchanted, Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove, and Dr. Facilier and Mama Odie from Disney/The Princess and the Frog.
- Representatives from almost every Disney animated film ever turn up for the wedding and the final battle.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Between Flynn and Vladimir as well as Flynn and Hook Hand. Also during the fight at the dam.
- Also Naveen and Eugene, Edward and Phillip and several others during the final battle.
- Composite Character: Yzma plays the part of both Vizzini and the Albino from The Princess Bride.
- Curse Cut Short: At the end of Chapter 15, when the King realizes he's reading the wrong story.
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Prince Walter to Rapunzel, especially since it's implied that this King Edward was the one from Enchanted and takes place after the film's events.
- Imagine Spot: Zach has one where he describes his own ending to the story, involving an over the top battle with things exploding for no reason.
- Interesting Situation Duel: Flynn fights Hook Hand in Wyvern Castle. Later, he fights Maximus at the dam with a frying pan, and then, Yzma as a little kitten fights Maximus with a sword.
Flynn: And that's the strangest thing I've ever seen.
- Out-Gambitted: Yes, go against an evil alchemist with magic potions if you knew they would switch the apples, think you were poisoned and drink from the wine bottle you just put essence of kitten in.
- Romantic False Lead: Rosie thinks this of Eugene after the Man In Black defeats Hook Hand. According to the author, this was the exact reaction of their friend's little sister when she first saw the original movie.
- Shout-Out: Man in Black's battle with Ulf is a blatant one for Indy shooting the swordsmen in Raiders of the Last Ark.
Hook Hand: We're taking him to a doctor.
Hook Hand: Nah, he's probably off fighting Daleks in the future.
- During the final battle, Mary Poppins confirms the fan theory that she is a Time Lady.
- Just before the final battle, Rapunzel says "Let's do a headcount, shall we?" before listing off her and Eugene's allies.
- The Storyteller: The King serves this role reading to his grandkids.
- True Love's Kiss: Inverted. The love spell on Prince Walter is broken because the kiss he and Rapunzel share is completely devoid of True Love.
- Whole Plot Reference: To The Princess Bride.
- Who's on First?: The Pub Thugs go through one in Chapter 16.
- Wow! A Flying Elephant!: Yzma pulls this on the Man in Black to distract him so she can switch goblets. And then Dumbo happens to fly over head.