Fan Fic: The Strange Destiny Of Prince Blueblood
"The Strange Destiny of Prince Blueblood"
is a fanfic written by Kavonde as a sequel to a previous story, "A Teacher With No Class."
After a visit to Cheerilee's classroom in Ponyville gives Prince Blueblood a slight mental breakdown, he decides to wander into the Everfree Forest in hopes of making sure nopony ever has to deal with him again. An encounter with Zecora puts him on a Vision Quest
to discover his place in the world... which shortly leads to him sacrificing a loved one to unleash an army of the undead on Equestria.
Despite some rather dark subject matter, the story tries to keep a sense of humor, with cameos from the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Cloud Kicker and Blossomforth (as characterized by "My Little Denarians"
author Chengar Qordath), and no shortage of self-deprecating snark from the prince himself.
This fanfic provides examples of...
- Authority in Name Only: Blueblood's lack of actual authority is part of what drives him to seek his destiny.
- Barrier Warrior: Shining Armor uses a smaller-scale version of his protection spell several times.
- Big Damn Heroes: Big Mac, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Zecora, Cheerilee, and a very disgruntled Cadance.
- Black Magic: Tyranny uses an arcane ritual to steal Cadance's power and animate his army.
- Child Soldiers: Played for laughs with the arrival of the Cutie Mark Crusader Royal Liberation Squad.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Blueblood is torn between his love for Cadance and his supposed destiny to restore his people.
- Continuity Cameo: Blossomforth and Cloud Kicker show up about halfway through and stick around to provide comic relief. Their characterization is openly based on their appearances in Chengar Qordath's "The Incredibly Dense Mind of Rainbow Dash" and "The Life and Times of a Winning Pony".
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Tyranny vs. Celestia.
- Deadpan Snarker: Blueblood, Blossomforth, and Tyranny all try their hooves at this.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Blueblood distracts an undead dragon... by punning at it.
- Cloud Kicker does this when Tyranny tries to intimidate her.
- Dropped A Bridge On Her: Luna. Well, a train.
- Drop the Hammer: When Cheerilee arrives to help save the day, she tries to smash Tyranny with a warhammer.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Celestia's fight with Tyranny results in a few of these.
- Eccentric Mentor: Zecora, to Blueblood.
- Evil Gloating: As if any true draconequus could resist.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Fully in effect.
- Evil Is Hammy: Undead!Cadance basically gains this as a power. Tyranny is fond of it, too.
- Evil Makeover: Cadance.
- Evil Mentor: Tyranny, to Blueblood.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Tyranny, in his undead form.
- Fix Fic: Part of the author's intention is to make Blueblood a genuinely sympathetic character.
- Flaying Alive: Tyranny threatens Cloud Kicker with this.
- Forced Into Evil: Blueblood, more or less.
- Freudian Excuse: You try being raised by a beautiful, immortal goddess of love and kindness and not developing an inferiority complex.
- Game Face: Tyranny puts his on to fight Celestia.
- Glowing Eyes: A universal feature among the skeletal dead.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Blueblood, towards Shining Armor.
- Guile Hero: Blueblood.
- Hannibal Lecture: Tyranny gives one to Celestia.
- Hope Spot: Blueblood has managed to reunite the Elements of Harmony! ... And then Tyranny teleports them to the moon.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "I've a bone to pick with you!"
- I Shall Taunt You: Blueblood's go-to plan.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Blueblood... arguably.
- Kick the Dog: Tyranny tricks Blueblood into sacrificing Cadance to build his army.
- Lawful Evil: Tyranny, in contrast to his brother's Chaotic Neutral.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Blueblood.
- Loser Protagonist: Poor, lonely Blueblood.
- Losing Your Head: Happens to undead!Cadance.
- Love Makes You Evil: Part of the reason for Blueblood's betrayal of Cadance.
- Lovable Coward: Blueblood has his moments.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Cloud Kicker.
- Malicious Slander: Tyranny lays out a rather compelling Alternate History. Blueblood buys it, for awhile.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Between Tyranny's treachery and undead!Cadance's abuse, it doesn't take long for Blueblood to switch sides again.
- Most Definitely Not a Villain: Sort of. Azure Throne quickly demonstrates that he's not a nice pony, but it's not until much later that he reveals himself as the draconequus Tyranny.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Blueblood.
- Oh, Crap: Luna, moments before being run over by a train.
- Painful Rhyme: Zecora, a few times. Blueblood calls her on it.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Tyranny proves himself pretty adept at this, right up until the end.
- Pulling Themselves Together: Seeing undead!Cadance have to do this is what tips Blueblood off on how to defeat her.
- The Rival: Shining Armor, to Blueblood.
- Secret Underground Passage: Blueblood and his companions use one to sneak into Canterlot.
- Slouch of Villainy: Tyranny indulges in one of these after defeating Celestia and the Mane Six.
- The So-Called Coward: Blueblood doesn't hesitate to cower and beg for his own life, but shows surprising courage when others are in danger.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: How Tyranny deals with the Mane Six.
- There Is Another: Tyranny, in a villainous example.
- Took a Level in Badass: Cadance.
- Trash Talk: Tyranny is a big fan.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Blueblood, to Cadance.
- Villainous Breakdown: Blueblood manages to drive Tyranny into one of these.
- Vision Quest: Blueblood embarks on one to find his destiny. It... doesn't turn out well.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Shining Armor to Blueblood, when he finds out what happened to Cadance.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Sort of. Blueblood manages to unleash an army of skeletons on Equestria.