The Spellbook is a Family Guy
fanfic written by Ander Arias. It's currently the longest Family Guy fanfic on Fanfiction.net, as well as the second most reviewed.
It follows Meg's adventures after Peter bought her a real spellbook for her 18th birthday. Even if Peter thought it was just and old, dusty book, it soon became apparent that the book had real spells. she tries to use her newly acquired magic powers mostly for good, such as helping Brian to win back Jillian, although she also uses it for other less noble uses such pulling pranks on Connie.
Over the course of the story, Meg meets a boy named Matt, they become a couple and married due to Meg becoming pregnant. Meg would later give birth to a baby girl named Rosie who would be born with magic powers, due to the spellbook's influence. Not much later, Jillian would become pregnant and give births to twin children.
However, Meg also releases the spirit of Miriam, a french witch who was burned by the inquisition, and the original owner of the spellbook, who wants it back for its own evil purposes.
The fanfiction can be read here
It contains examples of the following tropes:
- A Day in the Limelight: Chris in "Too much Crazy in Love".
- Adrenaline Makeover: Starting in chapter 39 Meg has a witch outfit for whenever she's in a fight.
- Arch-Enemy: Meg and Miriam.
- Ascended Extra: Jillian is the most prominent example, to the point that she has more focus than Brian.
- The entire fanfic is this for Meg.
- Author Appeal: it's not hard to guess that the author really likes WWE...
- And what the author doesn't like, especially concerning Family Guy...
- Berserk Button: Never say "abortion" in front of Life...
- Beta Couple: Brian and Jillian.
- Bi the Way: Nathalie according to "Trading Roles".
- Blond Brunette Redhead: Maya, Sophie and Rosie, respectively.
- Blow You Away: Meg infused Matt with wind based powers so he could help her to defeat The Doom Knight.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Many gags, the most prominent being Stewie trying to win the audience and drag the attention to him.
- Butt Monkey: It seems that Peter picked Meg's bad luck. Stewie may also become this when he futilely tries to draw everybody's attention.
- Other characters seem to enjoy reminding Brian how much a big loser he is. Let's say that the author isn't kind to the main MacFarlane voiced characters.
- Card-Carrying Villain: Miriam and her sisters.
- Continuity Nod: Events of earlier chapters usually get referenced in later ones.
- Child Mage: Rosie could be considered this.
- Convenience Store Gift Shopping: How Meg got the spellbook. Peter blew up most of the money Lois gave him to buy Meg a present, and the spellbook was the only thing he could buy with the remaining money.
- Crossover: Chapter 22, with Meg's Family
- Deconstructed Trope: the Camp Gay trope is deconstructed in chapter 45 via Cutaway Gag.
- Dumb Blonde: poor Maya takes after her mom Jillian.
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Miriam and her sisters.
- Evil Twin: Miriam, Lorraine and Jeanne serve as this for Meg, Lois and Jillian, respectively.
- Familiar: Flare, Rosie's pet phoenix, given to her by Santa Claus.
- Fiery Redhead: Rosie, all the fiery a one year old baby can be.
- Floating Timeline
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: Meg and Lois switch bodies in "Trading Roles".
- Follow the Leader: the author openly admitted that this story is very similar to Meg's Family because he likes it.
- Gratuitous French: Miriam and her sisters use some french words when they speak.
- Green Thumb: Daphne, a witch who has power over plants and nature.
- Killed Off for Real: Herbert
- Lampshade Hanging: quite a lot. One prominent example is Rosie pointing out that everybody can understand her but nobody understands Stewie.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Hot Witch: Daphne.
- Interspecies Romance: Brian and Jillian.
- Magical Girl: Meg and Rosie.
- The Mentor: Daphne, who oversees Meg's training as a witch.
- McGuffin: the titular Spellbook
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: Usually played for laughs. There are a couple of cutaways to the future where Rosie is a teenager but Stewie is still 1. Subverted in "Road to the Future".
- The Obi-Wan: Daphne is this to both Meg and Rosie.
- Theme Twin Naming: Subverted with Kyle and Maya. Their is a cutaway scene were the two are chased down by several groups of twins with themed names because they don't play this trope straight.
- Official Couple: Meg and Matt.
- Original Character: Many, the most prominent being Matt, Meg's boyfriend, and later husband; Sophie, Matt's little sister who has a crush on Stewie; Rosie, Meg and Matt's daughter born with magic powers; Kyle and Maya, Brian and Jillian's twin children; Flare, Rosie's pet phoenix; Daphne, a good witch with nature powers that trains Meg and Rosie (and later Lois and Jillian) to become witches, and finally Miriam, Lorraine and Jeanne, a trio of French evil witches who died in the Middle Ages but managed to return by attaching their spirits to the Spellbook.
- Out of Focus: Chris. Not that he was too prominent to begin with...
- Perky Goth: Rosie when she's 15.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Kyle and Maya. However, personality aside, the biggest difference would be that Kyle is a dog while Maya is human.
- Spared by the Fanfic: Dianne Simmons.
- Status Quo Is God: subverted quite often: Meg and Matt got married, and had a kid, Meg, Matt and Lois didn't lose their powers after the chapter they gained them was over and Brian and Jillian got two children.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Sophie develops one after being infused with a spell to make her eviler in order to attract Stewie.
- Take That: to Family Guy itself
- A recent chapter mocks Family Guy's portrayal of gay characters.
- Not to mention in the fanmails portions Brian and Lois have pointed that they've done so to their canon counterparts.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Tne entire point of this fanfic is this for Meg. Also, Brian wins Jillian's heart back, and they have two children.
- Took a Level in Badass: Sophie in "be a Bad Girl, Sophie", with Superpowered Evil Side.
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Jeanne suffers from this after taking over Jillian's body.
- The Unfavorite: Maya, to Brian.
- Later this is inverted when Brian learns that Kyle has conservative views.
- Unto Usa Sonand Daughter Are Born: Brian and Jillian's twin children, Kyle and Maya.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Brian disowning his son after learning that he's a conservative.