Fan Fic: The Somewhat Cracked Mindof Uchiha Itachi
"Itachi didn't kill the clan, instead he and his friends are teaching the next generation to drive them (and maybe the rest of Konoha) crazy. Won't that be fun?"
Itachi chooses a different path and arranges for several academy children to receive extra training via "ninja summer camp" leading to some interesting For Want of a Nail
effects. Can be found here.
- Action Girl: Most female ninja in Konoha. Often happily commented on by Kisame, who thinks it's awesome.
- Almighty Mom: Mikoto has her moments.
- Yoshino Nara, Shikamaru's mom, at one point killed a guy with her sandal.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Hiashi's making up for lost time.
- Animal Companion: Sakura tames a park squirrel she names Cappy (Sasuke resuced it from choking on a plastic cap with surgery) and Naruto comes up with seals to let her summon him. He's very useful and even helps her beat Hinata in the finals since his limbs are too tiny to easily disable.
- Archnemesis Dad: How Gaara sees the Fourth Kazekage. The warning that he gives to the Konoha ninja makes this very explicit.
Attention: Suna and Oto are about to invade you. My siblings and I side with the Leaf. Please show Baki-sensei leniency if possible. Go to hell, Dad.
- Arranged Marriage: Tsume arranges one between Sakura and Kiba when she sees Sakura's taijutsu skills. They just sort of go with it, since they can decide to dissolve it once they're both fifteen or chunin, whichever is first.
- Badass: Prety much everyone.
- Big Brother Instinct: Iruka and Mizuki to Naruto. Mizuki even threatens a nurse with giant shuriken for ignoring him when Naruto is clearly sick.
- Itachi to Sasuke. Therefore he is very upset about Orochimaru's apparent obsession with his brother.
- Blood Knight: Kisame calls himself such in the first chapter. Mizuki has shades as well, since his usual response to a situation is giant shuriken.
- Hidan. It blows his attempt to recruit Deidara.
- Cargo Ship: Mizuki and Giant Shuriken and Kisame and Samehada are both joked about in-universe. Neither man is amused.
- Cassandra Truth: Chapter 9 his Mizuki do this totally on accident when trying to distract Kabuto, where he blabs about the Uchiha's current status in the village, their and others' problems with Danzou, and something surprisingly similar to the original coup plan (shocking the older Uchiha nearby). He actually doesn't know that much about any of the three due to his low security clearance as a chunin, thus making it this trope to himself, too. When Sasuke and Naruto find out way later how close to right he was about the coup, they're both shocked.
- Cat Fight: In chapter six, between the four main girls of the Konoha 12 plus one against nearly every other girl in the academy.
And thus the Future Kunoichi of Konoha Showdown became the Legendary Academy Girls Catfight of Doom.
- Cats Are Mean: There is an entire chapter dedicated to Team 7's Tora-catching efforts. Since they finished infinitely sooner than most teams, they end up getting stuck being the primary recipients of the mission. They eventually dub him more horrible than the Kyuubi could ever hope to be.
- The Chessmaster: Shikamaru and Mikoto both in the same chapter, with him knowing she's using him but not really caring since he likes her plan too. Mikoto later helps Itachi out after all three of his students make the finals.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: By the time the Wave mission rolls around, most, if not all of the Konoha 12, have it. Kisame blames Itachi.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Itachi, as noted by the title, is a bit off. During the invasion the kids wonder if he's finally fully cracked after he starts laughing when he sees a bunch of genin kill two members of Akatsuki. He's okay, though.
- Combat Medic: Sasuke. He's actually better at using medical techniques to harm than he intends to be.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Itachi's been raising cain and causing well-intentioned havoc thanks to his summer camp, leaving several teams of very-tough graduates. His punishment? He's now the sensei of Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.
- Cool Sword: Samehada, natch. Kubikiribocho as well, which is now in Tenten's possession. Kusanagi.
- Since Lee gets Samehada and Tenten has Kubikiribocho, Kisame petitioned the Hokage to either allow him to go hunt down an ex-swordsman from Mist to get their sword for Neji, or to let Neji have Kusanagi and round out the team. Whichever he can get away with.
- Creepy Child: Kisame was one, according to himself.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Kisame vs. Zabuza in Wave, where it's even lampshaded that he already knows all of Zabuza's best moves and how to handle them. Zabuza then tries to make it about the genin, to which Kisame notes that through watching him over the summers they've pretty much learned to handle Zabuza's more likely techniques like the Water Prison. It makes Haku's fake hunter-ninja stint even more of a save than in canon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Quite a few. Itachi has quite a few moments. Actually, everyone seems to have their moment at some point.
- Demoted to Extra: Kakashi, since he's not Team 7's sensei. At least not until after the Kage summit.
- The Kyuubi. Even after Naruto becomes a ninja it's only slightly involved in Wave and only starts chatting during the chunin exams when it senses Shukaku.
- Embarrassing Nickname: The Kyuubi is rechristened "K-kun" by Naruto and his teammates as they agree Tora is a far greater monster. This later extends to the whole Konoha 12, leading to Lee then referring to Shukaku with the same affectionate suffix.
- Enemy Mine: Iwa and Konoha in order to interrogate Hidan's head by mind-reading. Lampshaded since Deidara thought he was Stating the Simple Solution by asking why they didn't just hire a Yamanaka in the first place.
“…You do know Konoha has been our enemy for generations, right?” one interrogator asked.
- Orochimaru proposes one with Itachi when Akatsuki's trying to kill them both. Itachi refuses since Orochimaru wants his brother.
- Establishing Character Moment: Nearly everyone who shows up in the prologue, excluding Mikoto whose came in the third chapter. Iruka is the Only Sane Man, Itachi has Cloud Cuckoolander tendencies, Kisame is on the side of good but still a Blood Knight, Anko's a flirt, Kakashi is chill and loves his orange books...
- Even Evil Has Standards: Orochimaru agrees with Iruka that Jiraiya's smut is a terrible excuse for literature, and is also horrified when he finds out people think he wants Sasuke's body in a non-platonic way.
- Evil Plan: Orochimaru had his canon one of wanting Sasuke's body but he also wanted to force both Sasuke and Itachi to get the Mangekyo so he could get the Eternal Mangekyo to get the Rinnegan to unlock the secrets of ninjutsu itself. The plan has issues when it seems Sasuke is having trouble getting the Sharingan in the first place, and Orochimaru is overjoyed when he finds out the kid finally did it.
- Fan Girls: Samehada hates them.
- Notably subverted for Sakura and Ino — thanks to the summer camp, both Sakura and Ino came to know Sasuke as a person rather than idealizing him, resulting in neither of the two having romantic feelings for him when they got older and retaining their close friendship, along with befriending Sasuke himself at a relatively young age. Unfortunately for Sasuke, that didn't go for the rest of the girls in his class.
- Five-Man Band: Formed by the summer camp counselors:
- Face Fault: Done by Obito when he overhears Sasuke asking him to teach him strong fire jutsu's to burn Kakashi's porn as he sneaked in.
- For Want of a Nail: The main one is the delay of the Uchiha coup by the Sandaime using Itachi's recruitment of Kisame to hint that he considers Itachi a good successor (despite Itachi personally having no interest). This causes the coup to eventually turn into an inter-clan civil war years later when Naruto is noted as the preferred successor. Apparently, they weren't willing to accept second-best, with an Uchiha teaching a future Hokage rather than an Uchiha being Hokage, as Fugaku lampshades.
- Mizuki is stopped from turning evil, which leads to him reading some files when he was helping Iruka out and deciding to look into an old classmate, leading to them accidentally making said classmate, Kabuto, paranoid in thinking his cover was blown, leading to Naruto finding out about the Kyuubi at age nine while Kabuto flees the leaf.
- The presence of the Uchiha clan means Orochimaru was unwilling to kill the Fourth Kazekage since it would deprive the invasion of a powerful force. The Kazekage tries to tip things in their favor by hiring an Akatsuki team, accidentally complicating things for both sides. Which leads to Sasori and Kakuzu dying while Orochimaru is too tired to use Edo Tensei against the Hokage.
- A rivalry with Itachi formed over many years of border patrol clashes kept Deidara in Iwa longer, since he and Onoki bonded over how much they dislike Uchiha.
- Thanks to Mizuki staying good and eventually adopting Naruto with Iruka, Naruto gains another sibling-figure in the form of Mizuki's crush/girlfriend Tsubaki, a medic-nin. Then, during the Academy, Tsubaki becomes the demonstrator for the medic-nin profession. Since the Uchiha Clan Massacre never happened and Sasuke isn't obsessed with gaining more power to kill Itachi, he becomes incredibly impressed with Tsubaki's demonstration; so impressed that he ended up becoming Team 7's medic instead of Sakura.
- Friend to All Children: Itachi is a surprisingly good teacher and good with children despite his utter lack of social skills.
- The Gadfly: Shisui seems to be this. At one point he claims he is Itachi's fiancé.
- Itachi himself is perfectly fine with causing chaos if it's for a good cause.
- The Gambler: The entire police force during the chunin preliminaries, due to budget cuts. Thanks to knowing about the Konoha kids, they make a killing.
- Tsunade, as canon. They even catch up to her in a casino.
- Heel-Face Turn: Mizuki, more accurately he's prevented from making a Face-Heel Turn in the first place.
- Kisame, due to being recruited by Itachi right when he was considering leaving Kiri.
- Deidara stays in Iwa due to first bonding with his teacher Onoki over how much they hate dealing with Uchiha and later when he finds out Onoki's Dust Release blows things up amazingly. This means when Akatsuki tries to recruit him forcibly, Onoki declares war.
- The Sand Siblings make one slightly earlier than canon. Very slightly.
- Orochimaru of all people. It's still rather vague, but it seems he'd rather stay with Konoha then go back to Oto.
- Highly Visible Ninja: It's noted that genin are more concerned with looking non-threatening to the civilians who hire them, thus excusing their slightly more wild senses of style than chunin and jonin.
- Kisame admits to being one on purpose: he knows how to use Silent Killing as well as Zabuza if not better, but he finds it boring compared to what he can do with his flashier stuff.
- I Know You Know I Know: Danzou was not sure if this was going on or not during his conversation with Iruka and Mizuki, and tried very hard not to reveal anything they might not actually know. It didn't help.
- In Spite of a Nail: Outside of Itachi being forced to teach Team 7, all the team are exactly the same.
- Jerkass: The Fourth Kazekage. Instead of in canon, where he was a well-meaning but terrible leader, this guy has barely any redeeming qualities, if any, all of his terrible actions being in the pursuit of more power.
- Loophole Abuse: How Itachi managed to pull off the extra training program. Clan kids are allowed to be taught extra things by family members while still in the academy. Nothing says those kids can't bring along a friend or dozen to that training, nor that the family members can't ask their friends for assistance.
- Love Triangle: Sakura with Lee and Kiba. Slight one with Tenten, Neji, and Kankuro.
- The Medic: Sasuke is the first Uchiha medic, a fact that often surprises everyone he meets who knows anything about the Uchiha Clan. It irritates him a little, but is ultimately something he finds to be proud of.
- Mêlée à Trois: Itachi vs. Orochimaru vs. Sasori and Kakuzu during the invasion. Several of the Konoha 12 and Gaara arrive to back up Itachi, though he lasts for a long time on his own.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Orochimaru is horrified when Jiriaya explains what people think he wants to do with Sasuke.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Due to living in apartments all his life, Naruto is impressed that Tazuna's family home has two floors all to itself. Tenten then ups the ante by revealing her house actually has three floors.
- Mythology Gag: When Sasuke asks Itachi what would happen to Shisui if he revealed to Ino, Sakura and Shino the identity of his girlfriend, he states:
Itachi: “Then, little brother, I may just have to plot against him, and maybe kill him and make it look like suicide if things go too far.”
Kiba: "…That was weirdly specific."
- After Mizuki starts what could be a Start of Darkness, Kisame notes that his condition would be referred to in Mist as "The Emo" which leads to "Rage, resentment, crazy plots against your pals, possibly joining up with insane plotters" referencing both Sasuke and Mizuki's canon paths involving Orochimaru and the fandom tendency to call Sasuke emo.
- Never Live It Down: In-universe, Sasuke accidentally blowing up an opponent's heart. He was trying to rupture a tendon.
- Never Mess with Granny: Uchiha Elder Mira and her friend villager Elder Koharu.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Orochimaru might have had a chance against Itachi if the Fourth Kazekage hadn't hired Akatsuki as invaison backup. Sasori and Kakuzu both want him dead too much to let him be, leading to a Mêlée à Trois.
- Also to Orochimaru for not killing him, though he wanted another high-class ninja due to Itachi, Shisui, and the other Uchiha still being around.
- No Social Skills: Itachi's are rather poor, often leading to him deferring to Iruka in social situations. It's so bad Noriko gives him two years advance notice for their first real date, just to make sure he's had time to think it over. He's good with kids, though.
- OC Stand-in: Noriko Uchiha for Itachi's canon girlfriend. She's his fiance, a chunin, and an archer. Her main role in the story is as a Cool Big Sis to the Konoha 12 and Sasuke and The Rival to Shisui. She and Itachi mostly spend their date money on ninja tools and hide out under a genjutsu until their parents think the date's probably over.
- Odd Friendship: Itachi and pretty much anyone he's friends with, especially Kisame. Ino and Shino form one as well.
- Lee, Gaara, and Shukaku of all people, mostly 'cause no one feels like explaining to Lee what Gaara and Shukaku were like before.
- Once Killed a Man with a Noodle Implement: Ninja. Bound to come up.
Shikamaru: "Whoa…I think my mom just killed a guy with her sandal…"
- Pass the Popcorn: Itachi at one point states his in this sort of mood.
- Post-invasion the Sand Siblings have the pastime of doing this during Suna's council meetings. Temari is horrified when Kankuro's comments on it inspire Elder Chiyo to actually eat popcorn during an important meeting.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Noriko is entirely capable of handling Itachi's odder tendencies and is willing to do things like give him two years heads' up for he first official date since she knows he has No Social Skills. He seems to simply be happy she's not a brainless fangirl and instead someone he can call a friend and rely on in a fight.
- The Rival: Deidara and Itachi keep running into each other on missions, though they don't know each other's exact names (Itachi knows him as "the crazy Iwa nin" and Deidara as "that insufferable Uchiha). When they finally meet outside of combat, it's funny.
- Noriko and Shisui are somehwere between this and Sitcom Arch-Nemesis.
- Lee and Kiba over Sakura. If they go overboard, though, she'll beat them both up.
- Rule of Funny: Word of God is that the fic will run on this more than anything else, as a reaction to how dark and sad canon was getting when the fic was started.
- Rule of Three: Invoked in the Chuunin exams preliminaries as Itachi wonders why his team is going against Sound Genin's.
Naruto: Weird luck?
Neji: Rigged Machine?
Asuma: Kami Mocking you?
- Running Gag: Mizuki's love of giant shuriken being commented on.
- For a long time, Sasuke's inability to activate his Sharingan even when in actual danger.
- The police force's bureaucratic and budget woes.
- Itachi calling ROOT Danzou's hobby and pestering him with craft supplies to try and make him get a new one.
- For a long time, whether or not Iruka actually did have a crush on someone and was very good at hiding it or was just yanking the Official Couple's chains. He did, on Kakashi.
- Neji and fate. He's gotten past it enough to attempt to make jokes on it. Not that he's any good at it...
- Any time anyone mentions Hinata's very obvious crush on Naruto, she freezes up and someone (usually another Hyuga (mainly Neji)) has to remind her to breathe.
- Sentient Weapon: Samehada. She's a girl and likes Lee, meaning he gets her if Kisame dies. She also argues with Kisame a lot.
- Serious Business: The gossip that Uchiha Itachi is dating someone was so talked-about in Konoha that spies reported on it and it almost reached the Raikage's desk. Itachi was mortified.
- Art, to Deidara. He's horrified to find out that the piece he bought at auction for his sensei was made by an Uchiha.
- Shout-Out: Two of the former ROOT kids with noted Belligerent Sexual Tension are named Eru and Raito.
- Sick Episode: Chapter 7: Sick, Dazed and Just Plain Crazy, where a good chunk of Konoha gets sick with the flu.
- Sneeze Cut: It happens to Deidara when Itachi talks about him to the children.
- Spared By Adaptation: Considering the Rule of Fun, there are many cases of this. To note a few:
- Rasa, the Yondaime Kazekage and The Sandaime Hokage didn't die during the Suna-Oto invasion.
- Due to the delay of the coup, many of the Uchiha's are spared, at least until the in-clan civil war. Even then, Fugaku, Mikoto, Shisui, Mira and Noriko are spared off.
- Shin and many of the other unidentified children of ROOT are spared of Danzo's plans on desensitizing them or be killed for the other members to succeed.
- Stations Of The Canon: Through the chunin exams, excluding how Naruto learns Kage Bushin since he doesn't fail. Afterwards Tsunade is only retrieved after Team Seven kidnaps Orochimaru (with no Sasuke retrieval needed) and then it really goes Off the Rails since the author has declined to include a timeskip at all and the Kage Council gets called three years early, by Onoki of all people.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted, and Itachi is determined to try and get Neji to see one; however once Gai is Neji's sensei the therapists assume Gai wants the therapy and all run away.
- Iruka and Mizuki are later made into therapists for the liberated ROOT kids and even later Orochimaru though Mizuki doesn't take it all that seriously.
- Too Dumb to Live: What everyone, even the people of Suna and especially the Sand Siblings, eventually thought of the Fourth Kazekage's plan to invade Konoha with Orochimaru. It resulted in him getting ousted from power.
- Took a Level in Kindness: The Kyuubi. Granted, as the latter parts of the manga showed, he was never really that bad of an entity, but here his relationship with Naruto is much better than it was at this point in canon, to the point that Naruto is giving him therapy for his issues whenever he isn't ranting.
- Fugaku, and the Uchiha Clan in general (or at least, most of them). It's a good thing too, as Itachi has admitted several times that patricide was on his mind for a while, at least until his father finally got that stick out of his ass.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Iruka and Kakashi. Funnily enough, it took the liberated ROOT kids to point it out to everyone.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 9, where Kabuto ends up exposed as a spy and Naruto (along with Sasuke) learns about the Kyuubi years earlier than canon. Fittingly it's less zany than other chapters.
- Worf Had the Flu: Itachi is weaker than canon due to not having the Mangekyo Sharingan. Still a top-class ninja, though.
- Danzou only has Shisui's eye and not a store of extra Shraingan due to the massacre not occurring. His over-reliance on the former allows Mizuki and Iruka to beat him once they figure out a way around it.