Fanfic: The Return Of Chaos
"Isn't it beautiful? We could all indulge in some delicious chaos."
The Return of Chaos is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfiction featuring an Original Character
, Darkheart, a black unicorn who has been living in the Canterlot Gardens for years and idolizes Discord to the point of utter insanity.
What makes this fanfiction unique is the fact that the two parts are written almost as if they truly were an episode of the show. They are each meant to amount to a full twenty-two minutes when read aloud, in order to comply to time restraints placed on canonical Friendship is Magic
episodes. In addition, the two "fan-episodes" stray far away from the grimdark or sexual territory other Frienship is Magic
fanworks may head into.
It also includes a musical number in each episode!
Unfortunately, the fic itself can no longer be found online, likewise with any reposts of it.The Return of Chaos: Part 1
places most of its focus either on the mane 6
or on Darkheart in their efforts to prevent each other from carrying out their plans, the six's goal being to protect the Elements of Harmony, and Darkheart's to free her master, Discord, from stone. It begins with Twilight Sparkle panicking in preparation for her Midterm Exam before being called to Canterlot for the test itself. Princess Celestia then alerts her that there is a spy in their midst and orders her to bring her friends over as quickly as she can. They then discover that the Elements of Harmony are missing and upon racing out to the Canterlot Gardens, they theorize that Darkheart is behind this. The unicorn, under the effects of a truth serum
, then reveals her evil plan to our heroes and the princess before making a hasty escape. Now, the mane 6 must work together and stop her before it is too late - if she really is the threat she claims she is.
If it wasn't obvious enough, Darkheart is revealed to be truly evil and then becomes Discord's loyal servant
in the time between Part 1
and Part 2.
This script is centered around Discord and his newest creations, the Elements of Disharmony and the ponies that represent those elements, as well as the mane 6 once again, rather than Darkheart. She has been greatly demoted from her role as the major antagonist
in the previous script in order to fill a more appropriate role and make way for the real Big Bad of the story arc.
This aforementioned Big Bad then proceeds to cause havoc offscreen
, and we meet up with the characters once again in The Return of Chaos: Part 2
after a montage of scenes from the previous "episode," just as it would appear as if it were official. Rainbow Dash, who seems to hate Darkheart the most, is trying to formulate ideas with the group that they could use to dethrone Discord. Celestia soon shows up, which brings Discord's attention to Ponyville. We are then treated to much more chaos, with this "episode" ending in an all-out battle
between the Discord/Darkheart team and the mane 6, their pets, the princesses, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and Big Macintosh.
- Admiring the Abomination
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Elements of Disharmony, due to being mindless mooks created by "false" magic (i.e. Not friendship), literally are the elements they represent. Not to mention Discord, who was already established as the canon embodiment of discord itself.
- Breaking Out the Boss: Darkheart's main goal in The Return of Harmony: Part 1.
- Subverted: Clones Are People Too
- Dark and Troubled Past: Darkheart is said to have one of these.
- Dark Is Evil: Darkheart, a black unicorn with a dark purple mane. 'Nuff said.
- Divided We Fall: The reason the mane 6 lost their control over the Elements of Harmony.
- Evil Laugh
- Evil Twin: The Elements of Disharmony.
- Fallen Princess
- False Friend
- Flaw Exploitation
- Friend to All Living Things: Fluttershy recovers the Elements because of this trait.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Darkheart in one scene before she is interrupted by Discord.
Darkheart: Then, after the ceremony and all the festivities are overů.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Princess Celestia and Darkheart.
- Idiot Ball: Princess Celestia carries the Idiot Ball for a brief, yet inconvenient, period of time.
- Mad Love: Darkheart's feelings for Discord.
- Nervous Wreck: Twilight Sparkle when preparing for Midterms.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: This is the only explanation for Darkheart being able to steal the Elements of Harmony...unless she had some help.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Discord, naturally.
- Obviously Evil: Guess who.
- Plot-Sensitive Items: The Elements of Harmony in the final battle.
- Previously On
- Psycho Supporter: Darkheart.
- Rage Breaking Point: Discord finally has enough of Darkheart and loses his temper, revealing to her in the process that she never meant a single thing to him.
- Script Fic
- Ship Sinking: The author absolutely refuses to ship Darkheart and Discord, despite the slight ship teasing and Darkheart's unrequited love.
- Small Annoying Creature: Darkheart comes off as this to Discord.
- Stroke the Beard: Discord, while admiring himself in a mirror.
- Took a Level in Badass: Scootaloo, during the final battle when she flies and begins releasing the ponies held captive by Discord.
- Truth Serums
- Visual Pun: Discord "cracking himself up," which may also count as Body Horror.
- Unholy Matrimony: Darkheart desperately wants this.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity
- World-Healing Wave: Presumably offscreen after the final battle, if the ending of The Return of Harmony: Part 2 is anything to go by.