Fan Fic / The Pleasantville Series
The Pleasantville Series
is a series of Alternate Universe Fic
for Axis Powers Hetalia
written by Black.Rose.Authoress
on Fanfiction.net and includes twelve fanfictions: Compiling
, The Rest was History
, Her Reputation Precedes Her
, Round and Round
, Insane First Impressions
, Wasn't Me
, No Accounting for Taste
, And It's Supposed to be the Day of Love
, Awesome Night
, The French and Spanish Inquisition
, Just a Little Push
and Old, New, Borrowed, Blue
. At present, only Compiling
and Old, New, Borrowed, Blue
are still being updated regularly; all the others have been finished.
This series follows the adventures of the Bad Touch Trio
(France, Spain, and a female
Prussia) from preschool through their senior year of high school. It also features other Hetalia characters: Germany, North and South Italy (both female), Rome, Germania, Britain, female America, female Canada, and others.
The Pleasantville Series provides example of the following tropes:
- 0% Approval Rating: Lovina's mother. Her own family doesn't like her, including her grandparents (as revealed in Compiling), her husband, or her own children. That's one of the reasons why the girls live with their grandfather now.
- Absent-Minded Professor: Feliciana and Lovina's grandfather. He's the principal of the high school, but that doesn't make him any more responsible and less Feli-like than he is in Hetalia...
- Abusive Parents: Lovina and Feliciana's mother would regularly neglect Lovina, letting her do whatever she wanted even though she was only four years old. She didn't even care when Lovina broke her leg, and said that it was her own fault. The girls' father is more clueless than anything else; he seems to love and care for both girls, but can't do anything about his wife.
- Accent Adaptation: Even on the series' Formspring account (now a Tumblr account), each character types the way they would speak (for example, Francis sprinkles his answers with French, and Feliks uses Valley Girl typing.)
- Accidental Kiss
- Accidental Pervert: There are apparently pictures of Ludwig and Feli in a "compromising position". These are used for blackmail purposes by Gill.
- Action Girl: Arguably both Ally and Gill are this, because they both play a lot of sports and are very active.
- A-Cup Angst: Lovina has this, apparently. She is never stated as actually being small-chested, just that her bra size is smaller than her sister's.
- Adorkable: Leon. And Antonio. And Ludwig. And probably Mattie, too.
- Aerith and Bob: Justified in that this is a fanfic and she can only use the characters' real names, but ... in how many schools can there be a Sadiq, a Lovina, and a Feliciana alongside an Arthur, a Francis, and an Ally?
- All Love Is Unrequited: Or rather, no one realizes that their crush is also in love with them...
- All There in the Manual: All of the characters' ages and sexualities can be found on the author's LiveJournal.
- Aloof Big Brother: Arthur's stepbrothers, except for Maxen.
- Anachronic Order: Compiling
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Ludwig and Feliciana are this to Gill and Lovina, respectively.
- Anything That Moves: Francis.
- Armoured Closet Gay: Possibly Mattie. Her own twin sister didn't even know until about halfway through Just a Little Push.
- Ascended Extra: Kiku and Yong Soo are both this - they have both narrated a chapter in Just a Little Push.
- Asexuality: Grandpa Beillschmidt, according to the journal.
- Asian and Nerdy: Kiku appears to be this, in his few appearances.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Mattie, Ally, Gill, Feli, and Lovina are all male characters in Hetalia: Axis Powers.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: This is most obvious in the pairing of Antonio and Lovina, particularly when Lovina accepts Antonio's proposal, blushing cutely all the while.
- Badass Adorable: Antonio, at the age of six, destroys an entire treehouse all by himself with an ax because someone made fun of "his" Lovi.
- Badass Grandpa: Lovina and Feliciana's grandfather threw Ludwig out of the car when he thought that Ludwig was trying to hurt Feliciana while teaching her how to drive.
- Beautiful All Along: Played with, with Ally in Just a Little Push.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Ally and Arthur.
- Beneath the Mask: Lovina's reaction to Antonio - she really does love him, but she refuses to show it. She also tries to pretend the other girls' bullying doesn't bother her, but it obviously does.
- Berserk Button: Making fun of Feliciana in front of just about anyone, especially Lovina and Ludwig. Making fun of Lovina anywhere near Antonio or anyone who might tell Antonio. Bringing up Francis's parents in front of him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: See Badass Adorable. Leon is, too, as of Chapter 43 of "Round and Round".
- Bi the Way: Arthur is revealed to be bisexual in Round and Round.
- Big Brother Instinct: Pretty much all the characters feel this (in varying degrees) towards Feliciana.
- Big Brother Mentor: Francis believes he is this towards Arthur when he teaches Arthur about sex by having it with him.
- Big Little Brother: Ludwig to Gillian.
- Big Eater: Feli when it comes to pasta, Lovina and Antonio when it comes to tomatoes, and Ally when it comes to ... most things, but especially burgers.
- Big Fancy House: Francis lives in one of these.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: Arthur
- Bilingual Bonus: Antonio breaks into Spanish sometimes. Feli and Lovi speak Italian sometimes. The biggest offender is Francis, who frequently breaks out into French.
- Bishōnen: Is the only way to truly describe most of the males in the series.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The girls who teased Lovina when Antonio wouldn't talk to her in Round and Round.
- Boisterous Bruiser: See Badass Adorable.
- Book Dumb: Feli is not completely dumb, but she seems to not be as smart as the others. Could be possibly because she is younger than they are.
- Brainless Beauty: Feliciana is very, very cute, but very, very stupid at the same time.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Lovina was this.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Some people consider Lovina this now, in the later series.
- Break the Cutie: Chapters 3-6 of Compiling reveal that Francis was raped as a child by a caretaker who he trusted
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Arthur was this in Round and Round.
- Broken Bird: Lovina, Gill, and later Antonio in Round and Round.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Ludwig and Feli.
- But Not Too Foreign: All the kids (except for Antonio, Ally, and Mattie) appear to have been born in the same town. Antonio moved there when he was about four. Ally and Mattie were born elsewhere in the United States. Sort of subverted in that pretty much each set of siblings is a different nationality.
- Butt-Monkey: Leon, Arthur, and Ludwig all have moments when they are this. Particularly Leon, as he often points out.
- Camp Gay: Feliks in Just a Little Push.
- Catch-Phrase: Gill's is "awesome".
- Catholic Schoolgirls Rule: While it doesn't appear to be a Catholic school, everyone is required to wear a uniform, and the chances are fairly high that at least one of them wears their skirt shorter than they are supposed to.
- Cheerful Child: Gill, Antonio, Francis, Ally, and Feliciana were all this when they were little.
- Child Prodigy: Gill was able to draw an extremely accurate bird on the wall when she was in kindergarten.
- Children Are Innocent
- Sharply averted with Francis' childhood. He was raped by a family servant, and this appears to be the reason he is the way he is now.
- But then played straight with Antonio, who didn't understand what was going on.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Arthur and, on occasion, Francis. Francis will do pretty much anything that moves (in one of the one-shots, he flirts with a boy on one side and a girl on the other), but he was still one of the first to help when Lovina was pushed into the lake.
- Class Trip: In Just a Little Push.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Lovina wouldn't even let Gill talk to Antonio when they were little kids.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Feliciana is this. To the extreme, to the point where she should be Too Dumb to Live. Black.Rose.Authoress has even mentioned that she has a hard time writing from Feliciana's point-of-view.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Antonio.
- Cool Big Sis: Gill tries to be this for Feliciana and Lovina, but only Feliciana appreciates it.
- Cool Old Lady: Big Mike.
- Corrupt the Cutie: See Big Brother Mentor.
- Corruption by a Minor: See Big Brother Mentor.
- Corruption of a Minor: See Children Are Innocent or Break the Cutie.
- Cute Bookworm: Mattie, according to Gill when they first met in First Impressions.
- Cute Bruiser: See Badass Adorable.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Feli.
- Cute Mute: Lovina is this for a short period in Tomatita after breaking her leg in the woods.
- Daddy's Girl: Ally was this until her father left to fight in the war and never came back.
- Dating What Daddy Hates: This is the whole reason why Arthur sleeps with Francis.
- A Day in the Limelight: Kiku and Yong Soo both have chapters told from their perspective in Just a Little Push.
- Depraved Bisexual: Francis
- Disney Death: It never is mentioned in any of the stories that Ally's father is dead, but it's assumed to be true anyway.
- Ditz: Feliciana is this to the extreme.
- Doting Parent: Gill and Ludwig's parents, and Antonio's mother, are this. So is Lovina and Feliciana's grandfather.
- Dress Code: The kids apparently go to a private school, as they are mentioned to have had uniforms. According to Insane First Impressions, they've had uniforms since kindergarten. There are even rules about acceptable shoewear.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ally, Mattie, and their parents appear in one of the omakes for Tomatita, despite their not even moving into the same town as the others for a good 6+ years more.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Lovina hates it when you call her "Lovi". Unless you are either Feli or Antonio, you will be hurt if you try to call her this.
- Emotionless Girl: Natalia has no emotion, except for occasionally showing affection for her brother, Ivan.
- Ethical Slut: Francis.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Francis and Arthur.
- Evil Albino: Ally considers Gill to be this.
- Evil Matriarch: Feli and Lovi's mother.
- Evil Mentor: See Big Brother Mentor.
- Expy: Leon.
- Fair Cop: Leon, at least according to Francis.
- First Girl Wins: Antonio and Lovina.
- Foreign Cuss Word: Antonio's mother of all people uses one in one of the stories after Antonio's father calls.
- Free-Range Children: In Tomatita.
- French Jerk: Francis actually manages to mostly avert this. Appears to be played straight with his parents, though, who can't even be bothered to remember how old their only son even is (for example, buying him a car for his 15th birthday).
- Freudian Excuse: Francis has an excuse for his sexual behavior. See Break the Cutie for more.
- Friend to All Children: Big Mike. And apparently Leon as well. Must run in the family...
- Friends with Benefits: Er, rather, Enemies with Benefits, I guess? Arthur and Francis in Round and Round
- Gender Flip: Gill, Feliciana, Lovina, Ally, and Mattie are all gender-flipped versions of Gilbert, Feliciano, Lovino, Alfred, and Matthew.
- Genki Girl: Feli
- Good Parents: Ludwig and Gill's parents. Feli and Lovi's grandfather. Antonio's mother.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: Several of the characters sneak in a few phrases of their native language for no apparent reason. It's cute, though, so most readers don't mind.
- Handsome Lech: Francis.
- Happily Married: Just about every married couple in this series. The only notable exception to this rule is Lovina and Feli's parents, who divorce sometime after "Tomatita."
- Henpecked Husband: Lovina and Feli's father.
- High School A.U.: Pretty much all the fics except Tomatita and Her Reputation Precedes Her have this.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Francis
- Hopeless Suitor: Sadiq is this towards Lovina. Francis is this towards Leon. And Arthur. And really pretty much everyone.
- Huge Girl, Tiny Guy: Ally and Arthur.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Ludwig and Feli.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Lovina says this to Ludwig frequently, and Ludwig, Francis, and Antonio are all like this towards any of Gill's many possible boyfriends.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Feliciana is this in canon. She frequently takes her clothes off, to the embarrassment of Ludwig. She also sleeps in his bed. Frequently while naked.
- Gill as well. In "Just a Little Push", she doesn't seem to realize that (a) her shirt's falling open and (b) those two jerks are staring at her chest. She also walks around the girl's locker room in just her bra and panties... Good thing for her brother and her two best friends, willing to protect her innocence as much as possible.
- Innocent Innuendo: "But I like sleeping with you, Ludwig."
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Francis toward Antonio.
- Jerkass: The boys who pushed Lovina into the lake during Just a Little Push.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Arthur can be this sometimes.
- Kick the Dog: Sadiq and his "friends" leave a small child alone in the woods as a joke. Antonio is less than amused.
- Kids Are Cruel: See Kick the Dog.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Both Kiku and Heracles are this.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Including all the minor characters, there are over 100 characters total.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Francis was this in The Rest Was History.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Francis is the only boy with long hair, and he is also the most feminine. Coincidence? Also, all of the girls (except for Gill in Tomatita) are described as having long hair.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Francis is this.
- The Mafia: It's been hinted that Lovina and Feliciana's uncle is in the mafia.
- Mama Bear: Ludwig and Gill's mother was this in Tomatita when Lovina's mother refused to take her to the hospital when she broke her leg.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Ally is VERY overprotective of Mattea. Lovina and Ludwig are also this, regarding Feliciana and Gill, respectively.
- Naked First Impression: The first time Leon meets Arthur and Francis, they are having sex...
- National Stereotypes: This is sort of the point of the series.
- Neat Freak: Ludwig is this.
- No Periods, Period: Not one of the many teenaged girls in this series has even mentioned as having one...
- The Not-So-Harmless Punishment: See Kids Are Cruel.
- Obligatory Swearing: Some chapters of Tomatita have Lovina swearing just as badly as she does in later fics. Keep in mind, she's supposed to be 4.
- Odd Friendship: Between Lovina and Ivan.
- One of Us: Black.Rose.Authoress is a fellow troper.
- Only One Name: Johnson. Only made stranger when Leon goes to his family reunion and finds out that all males in the Johnson family only use their last name.
- Original Character: There are many of these, particularly in Round and Round.
- Outnumbered Sibling: Antonio is currently the only male in his house, having a wife, a mother, a female dog, and a daughter and at least one sister on the way.
- Papa Wolf: Ludwig, Francis, and Antonio are all this regarding Gill, and towards Feliciana, too.
- Antonio can also be one towards Lovina.
- Leon's friend Chris is this towards Leon, being convinced that Leon's roommate and later boyfriend, Francis is an incubus.
- Parental Favoritism: When Feliciana and Lovina lived with their parents, it was obvious that Feliciana was favored over Lovina.
- Parental Neglect: While Feliciana was put on a pedestal, Lovina was largely ignored to the point of neglect. Also, Francis' parents are this to the extreme.
- Perpetual Smiler: Antonio and Feliciana are both this.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: See Badass Adorable.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: This is Ludwig's reaction whenever Feliciana sneaks into his bed naked.
- Plucky Girl: Lovina. And Gill, too.
- The Quiet One: Berwald, as per canon. Also, Johnson.
- Raised by Grandparents: Lovina and Feliciana were raised by their grandfather after the events in "Tomatita."
- Really Gets Around: Francis. And Arthur in Round and Round.
- Rich Bitch: Francis is a male version of this, but he does use the money to help his friends sometimes.
- Rotating Protagonist: Used in all of the multi-chaptered stories, most noticeably in Just a Little Push.
- Sarcasm-Blind: Feliciana
- Silent Bob: Johnson is this, although so far Leon seems to be the only person who's any good at reading his nonverbal cues.
- Single-Target Sexuality: The author has confirmed this is Antonio's sexuality—he's completely Lovi-sexual.
- Stalker with a Crush: Sadiq is this towards Lovina.
- Straight Gay: No one would ever expect Mattie and Gill to be lesbian.
- Switching P.O.V.: Especially in Just a Little Push.
- Teen Pregnancy: Antonio's mother gave birth to him while she was still high-school age. Later on in the canon, Lovina is pregnant as a teenager (presumably around 18 or 19), and Gabriela is still able to become pregnant, with twins, at around the same time.
- Title Drop: One in Tomatita, as pointed out in the author note
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Lovina and Feliciana (when they were little), Mattie and Gill, Mattie and Ally
- Tsundere: Just like in canon, Lovina is a type A. Arthur also seems to be a type A.
- Tyke Bomb: Once again, I point you towards Badass Adorable.
- The Un Favourite: Poor Lovina. But she is this only to her parents - their grandfather seems to love them equally enough.
- Unlucky Childhood Friends: Sadiq and Lovina, so long as you stretch the meaning of "friends".
- Vague Age: The authoress herself, when asked about it, has said that she hadn't really decided on exact ages for any of the characters (she has since made up her mind, but the discrepancies are still there, particularly in the earlier stories).
- Valley Girl: Feliks talks with a Valley Girl accent.
- Victorious Childhood Friends: Antonio and Lovina. They get married in ON 2 B.
- Violently Protective Boyfriend: Antonio (see Badass Adorable for why) and Ludwig.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Lizzie is one of these to the extreme.
- Yuri Fan: And her twin, Eli, is one of these. Kiku has been hinted to be both.