Fan Fic / The Neverending Road
The Neverending Road
"The world of the pros was like a road that never seemed to end, a race that each player ran at their own pace...
...Soon, Akira knew, he would find Hikaru running side by side with him, even on the never-ending road
, and in that moment the two would turn their heads and see one another, eyes meeting."
is a Hikaru no Go Continuation Fic
written by Leitbur
that follows much of the primary cast following the events of Hokuto Cup at the end of the manga series. On FF.net it's indexed under "Angst", but seems to mostly follow the same level of "Action" the main series does, with a "Romance" B-plot.
The story mostly focuses on the continued rivalry between Hikaru Shindo
and Akira Toya
, as well as many of the many pros both above them and the ones following them from their insei days.
Indexing in progress, help out!
This fic contains examples of the following:
- Anguished Declaration of Love - Nase accidentally does this on Akari's behalf right after making her own feelings known. It really messes them both up for awhile, and they take a bit to make up as Akari is understandably pissed, but eventually they work through it.
- Author Avatar - Ch70 has the author cameo-insert himself as a Type 2 Eaglelander
- Ascended Extra - Akari and Nase in particular.
- Betty and Veronica - Hikaru's Unlucky Childhood Friend Akari giving the option for a more traditional relationship and future versus the older and professional Nase who is a talented Go player in her own right.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome
- Shindou Hikaru the Judan Slayer
- Anytime Hikaru finds a "Sai-like" move to turn a match around
- Crowning Moment of Funny
- Ch36's and Chp42's resolutions of the Oh, Crap! moment for Akari and Nase respectively
- "Really," Komiya remarked to Sato, "it was hard to believe seeing this guy, just up from the B League, talking about beating Akira Toya, doing all these great things, then he'd say something like, "What's an Oza?"
- Disney Acid Sequence - Chapter 46 dream and musical number. It doesn't qualify as a Big Lipped Alligator Moment as it is referenced later, and the dream match between Sai and Ogata snaps Ogata out of his slump.
- Fiery Redhead - The insei OC Sakamoto is one.
- Heroic B.S.O.D. - After Hikaru's grandfather dies. He bounces back much faster than in the main series.
- Nase also has a short one after the events of Chapter 32, afraid that Akari and Hikaru will never forgive her.
- Identical Stranger- Waya and Le Ping, just like in the main series, but they actually get to meet in a side-story when Waya and Isumi go on a trip to China. Amusingly, after a moment sizing each other up, the two of them end up caring less about the resemblance than everyone else.
- Love Triangle - Akari vs Nase for Hikaru
- If the author's notes are anything to go by, also cause for something of a Broken Base with the fans who ship a different pair
- Oh, Crap! - Ch32
- Overshadowed by Awesome - Sometimes Ochi comes across as this. He's an exceptional player and wins all of his shown matches against normal pros, but has the misfortune of having to compete with geniuses like Hikaru and Akira, and to a lesser extent Waya. He never wins a game against another important character. Both he and Waya are well aware of their status as this compared to the two "princes of Go" and feel some insecurity about it.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend - So many times...
- Shout-Out - The Disney Acid Sequence dream of Hikaru's after his grandfather's death has two: an extended parody of Modern Major General sung by all of the New Wave to Hikaru, and then another one later when Sasuke and Sakura are recording Ogata and Sai's game.
- A bit earlier Hikaru unsuccessfully tries to explain the concept of Super Saiyans to Isumi.
- Shown Their Work - While not a pro himself, the author is at least a mid-level amateur and writes the matches using existing kifu from pro games around the world.
- Tactful Translation - The translator Yokotachi attempts to do this when dealing with the obnoxious Author Avatar's conversation with Hikaru, but eventually it's subverted when Hikaru loses patience and just tells him to give him a full translation
- Tiger Versus Dragon - Technically it's Lion Versus Dragon, but the symbolism is functionally the same. Hikaru and Akira are destined to be eternal rivals, pushing each other to levels they couldn't have reached on their own.
- Unknown Rival- Subverted. It turns out that Toya's study group is actually aware of how Morishita feels about them, and Koyo encourages his students to take part in the rivalry as well to keep their skills sharp.