Fan Fic / The Legend of Zelda: Twisted Fates
is a The Legend of Zelda Fan Fic
written by MiniJen
, the same author behind the Bound Destinies Trilogy
. The fic serves as an interquel between Phantom Hourglass
and Spirit Tracks
, with some AU
The fic begins by retelling the opening of Phantom Hourglass
up until Tetra's crew comes across the Ghost Ship, when Link boards the Ghost Ship alone after being pressured by Tetra, only for the ship to descend beneath the waves, with Link presumed dead.Five years later
, Link finally finds his way back to the Great Sea, just as a new evil is rising...
Not to be confused with another fic of the same name
Twisted Fates provides examples of the following tropes:
- Alternate Continuity: The fic provides an alternate version of the events of Phantom Hourglass, in which Link ended up in the World of the Ocean King alone and was stranded there for five years.
- Artificial Limbs: During the Time Skip, Tetra lost her left foot and had it replaced with a peg leg.
- Ascended Extra: MiniJen has confirmed that Aryll and Medli will play a large role in the story.
- Big Damn Heroes: In chapter 3, Link shows up just in time to save Medli from drowning after she was attacked by a pack of Seahats.
- Doomed Hometown: At some point during the Time Skip between the prologue and the first chapter, Outset Island was completely leveled by a hurricane, though the residents had gotten wind of the storm and departed beforehand, deciding to simply take up residence in other parts of the Great Sea; many of them took up residence on Windfall Island.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Tetra ends up a broken mess after Link is taken by the Ghost Ship in the prologue.
- It's All My Fault: Tetra blames herself for Link's apparent demise at the hands of the Ghost Ship, because she was the one who pressured him into boarding the cursed craft.
- Super Drowning Skills: Link saves Medli from drowning in the sea in chapter 3. As she explains, the Rito are meant to be in the air, not the sea, and thus none of them can swim. Ironic considering their Zora ancestry.
- Time Skip: Five years pass in-between the prologue and the first chapter.
- Trapped in Another World: Link ended up trapped in the World of the Ocean King for five years after defeating Bellum because the Ocean King was still too weak to hold up his end of their deal and send him back.