A The Legend of Spyro
fanfic created by SerBlack
. The story takes place following the ending of Dawn of the Dragon
. After returning to Warfang following defeating Malefor and saving the world, Spyro and Cynder try to get use to normal life in the city alongside their new friends. However, a race of creatures from Cynder's past seek revenge for her dark deeds against them, forcing the dragons to once again go to war. Meanwhile, a dragon who also has a grudge against Cynder for her past discovers a Dark Secret
that could cause more damage than the war. The story can be found here
This story provides examples of:
- Attending Your Own Funeral: Spyro mentioned that it would be pretty awkward for him and Cynder to show up at Warfang in the middle of a funeral for them after they defeated Malefor.
- Call Back: Just before Spyro and Cynder have a demo battle, Cynder says "Just like old times, eh Spyro?". She used the same line twice back in Eternal Night. Fortunately, since the situation isn't dire this time, Spyro can smirk at the nostalgia.
- Chekhov's Gun: During the climatic battle with Fayne Spyro recalled one of Cynder's moves and used it to win the fight.
- Drama Bomb: Perhaps the biggest shock imaginable in the entire TLOS franchise is that Cynder killed Spyro's biological parents when she was evil.
- Eyepatch of Power: After the war, Ember loses one of her eyes and must wear one of these.
- Foreshadowing: Terrador thought to himself about a Dark Secret he and the other guardians were keeping from Spyro and Cynder. That secret was revealed in the tenth chapter.
- It's foreshadowed further in the seventh chapter when Galiron found something in the death records.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Upon first meeting Ember, Cynder gets aggravated when she starts flirting with Spyro.
- Heartbroken Badass: Spyro, when he thought Fayne had killed Cynder.
- Heroic BSOD: Of all characters, Terrador goes into one over the fact that there's another war coming. It takes a Get a Hold of Yourself, Man! to snap him out of it.
- If I Wanted You Dead...: When Fayne warns Cynder not to try anything, she says "If I had wanted to kill you, you'd have been dead twenty times over by now".
- Ignore The Disability: One of Spyro and Cynder's new friends, Caden, had gimpy wings and everyone was advised not to mention them as they're connected to a Dark and Troubled Past. Of course, Sparx brings the subject up.
- Killed Off for Real: Chief Prowlus.
- Made Out to Be a Jerkass: While Galiron is shown to be a cruel dragon to Cynder, his anger is understandable given what Dark Cynder did to his family.
- Moment Killer: Spyro and Cynder's First Kiss is interrupted by Volteer and Cyril.
- My God, What Have I Done?: This is what Cynder feels each time she has memory flashes of her time as Dark Cynder.
- Spyro also felt this way when he realized that his snapping at Cynder over what happened to his parents led her to turn herself over to the humans.
- Dearg felt this way after everything the humans had done to the dragons. Eventually, every human except Fayne felt the same way.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Flame sees Spyro leaves Cynder's room and hears her thank him for the previous night, he immediately thinks they had mated, not knowing that Spyro actually spent the night to comfort Cynder from her dark memories.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: On three occasions. Firstly when Pravus kills Chief Prowlus during the battle between the humans and cheetahs. Paid back in full when Spyro makes Pravus explode on the plains outside Warfang, ending the second battle, and finally when Spyro kills Fayne after believing Fayne killed Cynder.
Fayne: She took everything from me!
Spyro: She WAS everything TO me!
- Squee: Surprisingly, Sparx lets one when he learns that Spyro and Cynder have finally gotten together.
Sparx:(Clears throat) I mean, about time.
- Wham Chapter: Chapter Ten.
- Wham Line: From the first chapter:
"Mankind will have its revenge".
- You Are Too Late: When the guardians and Spyro's friends arrive just after Spyro kills Fayne, only to find that Cynder had been stabbed, Cyril remarks they didn't arrive in time. Subverted in that Cynder is still alive.