The God Squad
is a fanfiction on FIMfiction.net written by defender2222 and is the spiritual sequel/spinoff of The Many Secret Origins Of Scootaloo
. The story focuses on Luna, who decides that she wants to hunt down the changelings for their attack on Canterlot. She convinces her brother (Oceanic Creature
/sea god Tydal) to come along for the ride, only for Celestia to decide to make the trip a family adventure. Shining Armor and Cadence also tag along for the insanity.
The story reads like a road trip movie, with the gods traveling Equestria and getting sucked into crazy side adventures.
Every chapter begins with a cold open that reveals what is happening elsewhere while the gods are traveling, including Blueblood taking control and Angel Bunny hunting down Templars.
A sequel/second season, The God Squad: Equestria's Most Wanted
has been announced, with Chrysalis joining the main cast.
- A Boy and His X: Subverted. Tydal thinks King Sombra is a dog and decides to adopt him as a pet.
- Adrenaline Time: It is revealed that this is how Tydal fights: in a split second he figures out how his opponents will react and comes up with a counterattack.
- Asshole Victim: Flasher, a prisoner in APPLELOOSA! who apparently does something so vile sexually (in front of children) that Cadence, a Sex God, throws up. Tydal proceeds to spend the entire chapter brutally murdering him. His family even uses the sounds of Tydal's assault to convince others to help them out.
- Badass Adorable: Derpy Hooves. Loves muffins and muffins, hates socks... and can snap a pony's neck without losing her smile.
- Dinky Hooves takes after her mama and is a bit too happy about getting a shovel to bury River Song's body
- Beware the Nice Ones: Cadence looks like a girly girl and the weakest of the group. However, it has been shown that Cadence is one of the most dangerous fighters and can create horrors that leave even Celestia and Luna trembling
- Big "NO!": When Braeburn thinks Luna has killed herself, he does this. When she reveals that all she did was hit herself with a pie, Braeburn assumes she is a witch and does another big no.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: This exchange, which hilariously subverts the usual "Wait, what?" response:
Luna But now that I've been to Ponyville, I decided that I need to see all of Equestria! I want to see the mountains and the plains and the Changeling hive so I can beat their Queen up and the great cities and the tiny hamlets-
Shining Armor: Wait... what was that last part?
Luna: Changeling hive?
Shining Armor: No, the... (blinks, surprised that Luna didn't play dumb)
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Wall Breaker the 4th, one of Celestia's guards, is clearly the Abed of story, as he continually points out the tropes the story is using.
- Brick Joke: The entire first season basically leads to this. The entire main plot is that Tydal and Luna are going to find Queen Chrysalis and 'hoof punch her in the flank'. Turns out Tydal meant that quite literally; he smacks her several times then gives Chrysalis a hug, revealing she is his baby sister (and thus Celestia, Luna and Cadence's as well) and the whole trip was just to tell her she was bad for invading.
- The Caligula: Prince Blueblood, when he acts as Celestia's replacement.
- Derpy, when she replaces him, being of royal blood herself.
- The Cameo: The Bandit and Butane T. Justice
- Many readers believe Tydal's wife (a fiery red head who was once human and was a princess) is Merida from Brave.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The finale of Season 1 had: Tydal retreat to his keep, Luna move out, Celestia all alone, and Shining and Cadence get a divorce.
- The season premiere mocks it: Because of the dark ending, Luna is now a drunk, Celestia is clingy/creepy, Tydal is a pacifist, Shining is a beatnik, and Cadence has gained 200 pounds and talks like Jabba the Hutt. Chrysalis asks if they have Cerebus Syndrome.
- The Chessmaster: Celestia, naturally though the last few chapters of Season One make it clear why it's not a good thing to take it too far.
- Commonality Connection: Shining Armor and Tydal bond over being married, putting aside their dislike of each other.
- Continuity Nod: Twilight shows up in chapter 15, along with Rollypolly (a baby Dalek).
- Cold Open: Every chapter opens with this. Some reader say they stick with the story more to find out about the cold open stories (which are becoming arcs by themselves).
- Cute Is Evil: When Shining Armor finally snaps (due to Cadence going on her meds and no longer acting likes like the loveable nympho we have all come to know), his negative feels manifest... into a small muffin with goggly eyes and bat wings. The muffin happily tells Shining to murder his wife and even Shining admits it would be cute if it weren't evil.
- Downer Cliffhanger: The God Squad ends on one of these, to set up the sequel. Lampshaded by Discord at the end of it.
- Enfante Terrible: Tydal loved killing and butchering from a very early age, as his elder siblings found out the hard way.
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: Apparently most of the immortal beings in the story are related; Discord, Tydal, Celestia, Luna and Cadence are all brothers and sisters.
- Zecora has been established as Celestia and Luna's niece.
- Cadence, as per The Many Secret Origins of Scootaloo, is really Celestia and Luna's baby sister.
- And now, to add to the list, Queen Chrysalis and Mary Sue (the red mane, black coat alicorn) are also Tydal and Co's sisters.
- Happily Adopted: Tydal raised Celestia and Luna since they were fillies and it has been stated that he is the only father they ever knew. The reason the sisters are so goofy in the story is that, with Tydal's return, they can act like children again (as his 'death' forced them to grow up).
- Hidden Depths: Tydal and Luna reveal they went to college.
- Subverted by Celestia, who spent all her time partying.
- Hybrid Monster: Tydal is a capricorn, which is already half goat/half fish. Turns out the fishy part of him is actually a shark; that means Tydal is a Great White that can walk on land, use magic, and is as big as Princess Celestia. Oh, and he has a violent temper. Pleasant Dreams.
- Killer Rabbit: Angelo Bunnitorie de Ponyville
- Also, Rolly-Polly, a baby Dalek whom Twilight and Doctor Hooves kidnapped/adopted. He rolls around in a miniature tank, complete with a cannon.
- Lampshade Hanging: Wall Breaker does this often, natually.
- Les Yay: The Cold Open for chapter 39 confirms that Fluttershy has a crush on Twilight, which was hinted at back in The Many Secret Origins Of Scootaloo.
- Myth Arc: The titular squad's misadventures will eventually lead to Queen Chrysalis's changeling hive.
- Mood Whiplash: Chapter 39. Starts just like all the other chapters, with Fluttershy trying to sleep with Twilight and Tydal getting a pet lobster. But when Celestia decides to free Discord, Tydal and her have a huge fight which ends with her snapping that Tydal isn't her father. The OC responds by kicking Celestia and Luna (who is unfairly grouped with Celestia) out of his Keep and sinking it below the waves. Luna then flies off, angry at her sister.
- No Dead Body Poops: Subverted. When King Sombra dies, Tydal is sure that the King is still alive, even though all that is left of him is his horn, due to the fact that Sombra didn't crap himself. Cue the horn taking a dump right then and there.
- Only Sane Pony: Shining Armor, who repeatedly questions the insanity of the situation and asks why the group does what it does.
- The gods themselves when dealing with anyone outside their group... apparently everyone in Equestria is insane.
- Original Character: Lord Tydal is an OC (Oceanic Creature) who is an OC (Original Character), first appearing in defender2222's Castle crossover How Do You Shoot a Gun With Hooves?''.
- Mary Sue, the red maned, black coated alicorn from her own series of stories, appears in the cold opens now.
- And now with the second season, Mary Sue is now one of the Doctor's companions. Not bad for a character who tends to be the Woobie her in main stories (Word Of God has stated that he made Mary Sue Tydal, Celestia, Luna and Cadence's sister because her main stories are so sad he wanted to give her a win).
- Our Griffins Are Different: Almost every MLP story has griffins portrayed as barbarian warriors who love battle. The griffins here were like that...900 years ago. Now they are all wimpy and high brow creatures that have fly by disagreements. Needless to say, Tydal and Luna are not thrilled.
- Our Capricorns Are Different: Unlike most depictions of capricorns, the God Squad capricorns have four legs (with the back set being like a goat's but with green scales), slit-eyes, and their tails end in fan blades that they use as their main attack weapon.
- Papa Wolf: Tydal. He raised Celestia and Luna and does not take kindly to threats. The story starts because Chrysalis attacked Celestia.
- In a flashback, Commander Hurricane comes to claim baby Celestia and Luna. Tydal responds by parting the ocean to reveal hundreds of dead ponies from two other armies that came for the alicorn sisters. He then lays out, in cold detail, how he will bring about the end of days and make the pony race extinct if another pony tries to take his little sisters. For good measure he sends his royal guard to chase after the retreating forces with commands to murder any that don't stop. 1,800 years later Tydal is STILL upset that Hurricane made Luna and Celestia cry and the sisters have to comfort him.
- Second season gives us a wonderful example of this: Tydal, because of a falling out between him and Celestia, has become a pacifist. He is just about to reach spiritual enlightenment when Celestia, who is being mauled by Rick Astley, cries out for help... and for the first time ever calls him 'daddy'. Tydal instantly snaps out of it, brutally murders Rick, and tells the mob that had gathered that he will kill them all if they come near his girls.
- Rhymes on a Dime: Subverted. It is revealed that Zecora does not have to rhyme but only does so because it is tradition for royalty in her country to rhyme.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Tydal tends to do this when his family/foals are in danger. He has:
- Brutally murdered two armies that made Foal Luna and Filly Celestia cry
- Torn apart a child predator so viciously that the entire town could hear it
- Gave up spiritual enlightenment to save Celestia
- Beat up a gang that threatened Sweetie Belle so badly they... turned into Steve Magnet
- Royally Screwed Up: Being completely deranged is apparently a requirement for royalty.
- Running Gag: Tydal will ask permission from Shining Armor to brutally murder a pony. Shining has only once said yes.
- twice now, the second victim was a Gryphon named "Violent Child-hitter"
- Noodle Incident: What the victim did. Whatever it was squicked Cadance, the nymphomaniac goddess of sex and love.
- Sex God: Princess Cadence. In a fit of rage she made two STALLIONS impregnate each other.
- Shout Out: To the various properties that the squad comes across in its travels.
- Self-Deprecation: The opening narration of chapter 1. 'Oh, and if any pony tries to tell you that some jerk with metal wings named Doubt was involved... they're lying.'
- It happens again when the Evil Muffin shows up and seeing that Shining isn't impressed, asks if he'd prefer the muffin to be a black alicorn with mirror wings. Shining states that is the dumbest thing he's ever heard.
- The Song Before The Storm: Parodied in the Prance Arc where the entire cast sings an alternate version of 'One Day More'.
- Take That: The Cult of the Moon arc is one giant one to fan conventions.
- Take That, Audience!: Stickin Damud, who complains about Tydal's existence and the way the three princesses are acting. He gets horribly killed, along with the rest of the cult, when he says Shining Armor still sucks.
- One could argue that Stickin Damud is also Self-Deprecation as some of his complains such as saying Shining sucks seem to be a Take That at the author and his own opinion on the character.
- Temporary Bulk Change: Cadence in the opening of Season 2. Because she is off her meds and divorced from Shining, she begins to binge eat and after a few weeks has gained 200 pounds.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Tydal delivers one to Celestia in chapter 39 when she decides to free Discord. Since Discord was the reason Tydal was encased in stone for 1,500 years and threatened to kill Tydal, his people, and the alicorn sisters, he is rightfully justified and wondering who bringing the chaos god back would be a good idea.