Fan Fic: The German Risk AAR
The German RISK AAR is a particularly famous After Action Report of Hearts of Iron, set before and during World War II, written by Rustican.Following the Nazi high command and its successful quest for global domination, it turns a terrifying premise into a nonstop laugh fest. The keys to its success were simple: Refuge in Audacity and Rule of Funny. This AAR became so famous that, nearly 8 years after its release, it has drawn many people into the Hearts of Iron series and Paradox Interactive as a whole.It can be found here.
This work contains examples of:
- The Ace: Rommel and Guderian.
- Anachronism Stew
- Artifact of Doom: The One Disk, AKA Hearts of Iron.
- Big Bad: Hitler.
- Butt Monkey: Everyone gets a turn at this, but especially Raeder.
- Even Evil Has Standards: What causes Rommel and the rest to turn on Hitler is the potential nuking of Haiti.
- Evil Is Petty
- Fantastic Nuke: Dice.
- Femme Fatale: The Swedish Bikini Team.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: In-universe. A Hasselhoff CD even helps save the day.
- Heel-Face Turn: Rommel, Ribbentrop, Von Kluge, and Guderian.
- Historical-Domain Character
- Just One More Level: In-universe. Hitler falls victim to this; Hearts of Iron is just that addicting.
- Legacy Character: The many, many James Bonds.
- Let's Get Dangerous: To the author's surprise, one of the first major resistances to world domination was Sweden.
- MacGuffin: Dice, and the Hearts of Iron disk.
- Never Found the Body: von Manstein.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: As long as he has the One Disk, Hitler is invincible.
- Not So Different: One of the very few serious moments has FDR pointing out that the United States' democracy can be just as bad as fascism.
- Sacrificial Lion: von Manstein.
- Script Fic
- Shout-Out: Too many to mention.
- Take That: Also liberally dispersed, with shots at Risk, Axis And Allies, and then-current political events.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Emphasis on wacky.
- Villain Protagonist: Pretty much everyone.
- Villainous Glutton: Goering.