The German RISK AAR
is a particularly famous After Action Report
of Hearts of Iron
, set before and during World War II
, written by Rustican.
Following the Nazi high command and its successful
quest for global domination, it turns a terrifying premise into a nonstop laugh fest. The keys to its success were simple: Refuge in Audacity
and Rule of Funny
. This AAR became so famous that, nearly 8 years after its release, it has drawn many people into the Hearts of Iron
series and Paradox Interactive
as a whole.
It can be found here
This work contains examples of:
- The Ace: Rommel and Guderian.
- Anachronism Stew
- Artifact of Doom: The One Disk, AKA Hearts of Iron.
- Big Bad: Hitler.
- Butt Monkey: Everyone gets a turn at this, but especially Raeder.
- Even Evil Has Standards: What causes Rommel and the rest to turn on Hitler is the potential nuking of Haiti.
- Evil Is Petty
- Fantastic Nuke: Dice.
- Femme Fatale: The Swedish Bikini Team.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: In-universe. A Hasselhoff CD even helps save the day.
- Heel-Face Turn: Rommel, Ribbentrop, Von Kluge, and Guderian.
- Historical-Domain Character
- Just One More Level: In-universe. Hitler falls victim to this; Hearts of Iron is just that addicting.
- Legacy Character: The many, many James Bonds.
- Let's Get Dangerous: To the author's surprise, one of the first major resistances to world domination was Sweden.
- MacGuffin: Dice, and the Hearts of Iron disk.
- Never Found the Body: von Manstein.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: As long as he has the One Disk, Hitler is invincible.
- Not So Different: One of the very few serious moments has FDR pointing out that the United States' democracy can be just as bad as fascism.
- Sacrificial Lion: von Manstein.
- Script Fic
- Shout-Out: Too many to mention.
- Take That: Also liberally dispersed, with shots at Risk, Axis And Allies, and then-current political events.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Emphasis on wacky.
- Villain Protagonist: Pretty much everyone.
- Villainous Glutton: Goering.