TV Tropes is 149% Funded
View Kickstarter Project
Our Kickstarter campaign has received $74,000 from over 2,000 backers! TV Tropes 2.0 is coming. There is no stopping it now. We have 4 days left. At $75K we can also develop an API and at $100K the tropes web series will be produced. View the project here
and discuss here
Fan Fic: The Demon And The Dead Man
The Demon and The Dead Man
is an Alternate Universe
fanfic, where Madara Uchiha accidentally stumbles on the clone of his brother, Izuna, in Orochimaru's labs. Madara finds the baby, carries his brother's soul and Izuna basically been reincarnated. On a whim, Madara decides to raise his brother in hopes of raising him by his side.
In the end, Madara assumes that the reincarnation was imperfect and couldn't hold his brother's memories, so he abandons Izuna. Izuna gets taken to Konoha, where he is discovered and placed in the same orphanage as Naruto.
- Adaptational Villainy: Inverted with Mizuki, who doesn't do his canon Face-Heel Turn due to meeting Naruto earlier.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Izuna and Naruto are rejected throughout the village for being resurrected and the Jinchuriki, respectively. Although unlike Naruto, Izuna hates the village but can't do anything about it.
- Big Brother Mentor: Izuna is one to Naruto, teaching him and watching out for him.
- Black Sheep: Izuna to the rest of the Uchiha clan.
- Came Back Wrong: What most of Konoha assume Izuna is. They think only a monster would resurrect someone and the result must be evil.
- Child Soldiers: Defied by Hiruzen, who puts Izuna, Hideaki and Naruto on D-Rank missions to not damage their career but not put them in danger.
- Cool Old Guy: Yashiro Uchiha.
- Corrupt the Cutie: What people assume Izuna's and Naruto's relationship is like. Not that they would they would think Naruto is The Cutie.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The five-year old Izuna vs. Hiashi. Hiashi was rather shocked how easy it was, considering who Izuna is.
- Deconstruction Fic: Kakashi's quirks and his neglect of Naruto is deconstructed as he stalks Naruto as soon as he finds out that Naruto was promoted and someone else became his sensei, believing himself to deserve the position by default. This later backfires in that Naruto doesn't trust Kakashi and when Shusui dies, Naruto suspects he killed Shusui.
- The concept of "looking underneath the underneath": as Izuna puts it, sometimes something is what it appears and you shouldn't drive yourself crazy looking for the "underneath".
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: In Izuna's time, there was no concept of a D-Rank mission. Nor does Izuna agree with the Will of Fire.
- Doomed by Canon: Any of the Uchiha characters that's not the following: Izuna, Sasuke, Tobi and Itachi.
- Dramatic Irony: Fugaku assumes the original Izuna would agree with the teachings of the Senju. He doesn't.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Naruto tried to do the most evil thing he could think of to the Uchiha police, who were picking on him and Izuna: switch their coffee to decaff.
- First Episode Resurrection: The story begins with Madara discovering Izuna's resurrection.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Izuna, being from before the establishment of Konoha, does not trust electricity nor electronics. Izuna also despise the Senju way of life that is the Will of Fire and how much say civilians have in the village.
- For Want of a Nail: Due to Naruto meeting Izuna they:
- 1) Graduate early and become Genin six years earlier than canon.
- 2) Know other Uchiha before the Massacre.
- 3) Stop Mizuki's Face-Heel Turn by Naruto giving him a sympathetic ear.
- Freak Out: Naruto freaks out and goes Kyuubi on Kakashi for attacking Izuna. Kakashi makes Izuna and Naruto hide in the woods as a result of said freak out.
- Geometric Magic: Izuna was resurrected and placed in a body of a clone through the use of seals.
- Gone Horribly Right: Izuna was put with Naruto so he would get attached to him and won't exploit the Kyuubi. It works too well, as Izuna is possessive of Naruto, would do literally anything to keep him and teaches him to look past Konoha's propaganda.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kakashi was extremely jealous of Shusui when Shusui becomes Naruto's sensei.
- Historical Hero Upgrade: Izuna to Uchiha history. Uchiha history portrays Izuna as The Heart of the Uchiha clan who wanted peace, whose eyes where tragically stolen by Madara. History forgot that Izuna was, while pleasant otherwise, capable of being just as ruthless as his brother and was Madara's right hand man.
- According to Izuna, both Hashirama and Tobirama were jerks.
- In Spite of a Nail: The Uchiha still die at hands of Tobi and Itachi and Kakashi still becomes Naruto's sensei. This is noted as being because trouble has been brewing beneath the surface for years - all the Uchiha are aware that something will give, which it eventually does.
- Incest Is Relative: Izuna pokes fun at the Hyuuga's expense for their history of Brother-Sister Incest to strengthen their bloodline. The Uchiha also did this, but drew the line at first cousins.
- Jerkass: Fugaku threatened to kill Izuna if he ever gets the Sharingan.
- Jerkass Realization: Hiashi, Mizuki, and later Iruka realize that Naruto is just a normal kid and that they were being jerks.
- Kicked Upstairs: Naruto and Izuna gradated the Academy and promoted to Genin after a week of starting school because their instructors wanted to get rid of them as soon as possible. Hideaki Uchiha was also a victim of this, because they needed a complete Genin and to punish him for getting into a fight with Naruto.
- Kid with the Leash: The reason why no one actually seperates Izuna and Naruto: they assume as a disowned and unaffiliated Uchiha, Izuna can control the Kyuubi if something goes wrong. In actuality it's the other way around as Naruto functions as Izuna's Morality Chain.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Hideaki notes this when he gets in trouble for bullying clanless and civilian children after picking a fight with Naruto.
- Lonely Together: The basis of Izuna and Naruto's friendship, they were put together because no one wanted them associating with other children.
- Meaningful Funeral: The Uchiha mass funeral.
- Mistaken for Murderer: Naruto believes that Kakashi killed Shusui
- Mistaken for Pedophile: Since people think Izuna is a grown man, they mistake Izuna's friendship with Naruto as this and are disgusted by their relationship.
- Mugging the Monster: Hideaki tries to beat up Naruto, who received training from Izuna.
- Must Have Caffeine: Naruto tried to invoked this trope when he tried to switch the Uchiha's coffee to decaff.
- Name's the Same: Izuna is a very popular name in the Uchiha clan.
- Older Than They Look: Played with, as most of Konoha assume Izuna is a grown man in a child's body, but he is actually just a mature child with memories slightly older than himself.
- Only Friend: While Naruto has friends, Izuna only has Naruto.
- Original Character: Hideaki Uchiha.
- Parental Substitute: Izuna (when he gets his teenage memories back) and Mizuki to Naruto.
- Past-Life Memories: Izuna gradually gets his memories of his old life back as he gets older.
- Promotion to Parent: When Izuna and Naruto were made to live on their own, Izuna essentially became Naruto's parental figure.
- Sacrificial Lamb/Sacrificial Lion: Hideaki, Yashiro and Shusui
- Stalker Without A Crush: Kakashi stalks Izuna and Naruto when they had a team with Hideaki and Shusui
- Sticky Fingers: Izuna follows unwritten ninja rule number 1: Anything that's not nailed down is yours as long as you don't get caught. They get caught
- Through His Stomach: Hideaki finally warms up to Izuna and Naruto when they share lunch with him. Unfortunately it's the day before Shusui's death and a week before the Uchiha massacre.
- True Companions: Discussed and defied by Yashiro, Mizuki, Izuna and Naruto. Izuna says in a manga they would be a Nakama but besides Izuna and Naruto, none of them are that close nor do they give a damn about Izuna.
- Vacation Episode: Izuna and Naruto escape the orphanage to go camping.
- Verbal Tic: Izuna's "dattebane" which Kakashi to the conclusion that Izuna is Kushina
- Wistful Amnesia: Izuna has fond memories of "Madara-nii", as he doesn't remember what Madara did to him.
- Written by the Winners: Izuna complains about this when he finds out Konoha history.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Kakashi believes Izuna is Kushina. Although to fair to Kakashi, Kushina was a master seals and its shown through Izuna one can be resurrected that way. Resurrection requires the body of a blood relative to house the soul and Izuna is a blood relation of Kushina through her mother's side. Kakashi drew the wrong conclusion from all the evidence he found and due Wish Fulfillment. As Izuna call it: "Looking underneath the underneath when there is no underneath. It is what it appears". Apparently, this drives many ninjas crazy.
- Yandere: Izuna and Kakashi in a platonic way to Naruto. Izuna is possessive while Kakashi is unstable.
- You Will Be Spared: Tobi spares Izuna from the Uchiha massacre on Madara's orders.