Fanfic: The Death Of Princess Luna
The Death of Princess Luna
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic by Giga Bowser NS
. In the story, after a fight between the royal sisters
Luna and Celestia, Luna is unexpectedly and tragically killed, leaving a brokenhearted Celestia in tears. When the Mane Six receive the news of Luna's passing, they too are devastated, given that they had just saved her from Nightmare Moon after a thousand years.
A month after her "death" and subsequent funeral, Twilight discovers that her death was a hoax covered up, evidenced by an incident at Luna's graveyard and looking upon Luna's tomb to discover that her body wasn't present, and is actually another dead pony. Upon realizing this, the Mane Six realize that she is still alive, but her whereabouts are unknown. Fearing for her life, the Mane Six and Spike go out to find her in the Everfree Forest.
Meanwhile, an imprisoned Luna, suffering from hunger, fright, and hopelessness, discovers a terrifying secret about one of her captors.
- Big Bad: Navy Shield.
- Chekhov's Gun: Chapter One has a few namely the fact that it takes a lot to kill an Alicorn.
- Twilight staring at Luna's coffin during the funeral for later discovery that it wasn't her.
- Chekhov's Scroll: While crying in her cell, Luna discovers a scroll hidden under her cell bed. This scroll was sent by Spike, and would lead to Twilight and her friends finding the house Luna is held in.
- A Day in the Limelight: Luna becomes the main focus of the story.
- Despair Event Horizon: Almost everypony suffers this, especially Celestia, until Luna is rescued.
- Disney Death: Averted, but quite possible. Also, see Near Death Experience below.
- Due to the Dead
- Expressive Hair: Celestia's mane and tail turn grayscale and go limping and sweeping like fabric. It's pretty disturbing.
- Pinkie Pie's mane and tail deflating again upon hearing Luna's "death".
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- GASP!: Celestia after Navy Shield attempts to assassinate Luna by shooting her.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The characters occasionally swear in some chapters, but for a reason beyond explanation, it was still given a K+ rating on FanFiction.net as well as a classification of "Everyone" on FIMFiction.net.
- Gray Rain of Depression : The first three chapters.
- Insane Troll Logic: Sums up the motivation of the kidnappers. According to an ancient tome, that no one had ever heard of and which was written after the duel between Celestia and Nightmare Moon, Luna is long dead and her body is controlled by Nightmare Moon. To prevent her from body surfing she needed to be knifed during a new moon.
- Heroic BSOD: Celestia's reaction and breakdown after hearing of Luna's death.
- Things only get worse when the news spreads to Twilight and her friends. Fluttershy's reaction is similar to Celestia's. Such a sad scene.
- The Mole: Navy Shield, Comet Tail, Sunny Ray, and High Noon. They only think they're doing right when it comes to killing Luna.
- Near Death Experience: After a heartwarming, tearful reunion with her sister, Navy Shield quickly gets up, gallops directly at Luna, pulls out a pistol and fires at her, almost killing her. Could also count as a Disney Death.
- Overused Running Gag: The rest of the Mane 6 ask Fluttershy if she's doing okay; she gets rather annoyed.
- Prophecies Are Always Right: Subverted.
- So Proud of You: Princess Celestia expresses this about the Mane 6 and Spike to Luna when they are in the hospital after her rescue and attempted assassination.
- The Needs of the Many: Somewhat deconstructed. Celestia pulls everyone's else needs far ahead of her need to properly mourn, resulting in said Despair Event Horizon getting worse.