Fan Fic: The Cries Of Haruhi Suzumiya
I'm pretty sure I don't like this place. We've ran into two girls with weapons, nobody seems trustworthy, and to top it off, Haruhi's acting like a psychopath. Although, compared to what she'd be acting like in a few days, it's practically the pinnacle of sanity. You think this stuff is bad?
Wait until people start dying. Then the story really picks up.The Cries of Haruhi Suzumiya note
is a Haruhi Suzumiya
/ Higurashi: When They Cry Crossover Fan Fic
written by Thnikkafan
. It features nearly everything present in both shows: comedy, horror, Mind Screw
, a unique style of narration (or not
), and death. Lots of death.
As of August 2010, the first arc, Kamigoroshi-hen
, is complete. There's humorous moments, but mostly, it's thoroughly a Higurashi
question arc. The second arc, Tsukuribanashi-hen
, is completed as of December 2011. Like its previous chapter, it follows protocol of the Higurashi question arc.
A basic summary: In the small sleepy town of Hinamizawa, there have been a string of murders connected to the Watanagashi festival. This has piqued the interest of one Haruhi Suzumiya, who has decided to investigate it and bring the SOS Brigade with it. But things, naturally, are more than they seem...
It can be found here
There's also a story inspired by this one
which Thnikkafan has deemed to be in continuity with The Cries of Haruhi Suzumiya
. You can find it here.
In addition to the character tropes present in the original work, this story provides examples of:
- A God Am I: Haruhi doesn't quite think she's a god, but rather, the "Hammer of Oyashiro-sama". It's still a Very Bad Thing.
- Alas, Poor Yorick: Done with Yuki's head.
- Anyone Can Die
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Haruhi is an atheist.
- Attempted Rape: Mion implies that she is going to do this to Kyon in Kamigoroshi-hen after he and Haruhi are knocked out and chained in the torture chamber, however, Haruhi breaks free before she can do anything.
- Ax-Crazy: Haruhi and Mion and possibly Yuki as well.
- Back for the Finale: Satoko reappears in the fourth chapter as Haruhi is about to kill Rika.
- Battle in the Rain: For a certain definition of "battle", but Yuki trying to murder Kyon happens in a large rainstorm.
- Barehanded Blade Block: Yes, it's a parallel to the one in Haruhi Suzumiya. Except it doesn't end as well for Rika.
- Big Damn Heroes: Nagato, as usual. ...except for the last time.
- Rika, desperately protecting Kyon from Homicidal!Nagato.
- Bloody Murder
- Boom, Headshot
- Break the Cutie: Ok, Itsuki isn't exactly one, but seeing him breaking down is... rather unsettling.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall; In Tsukuribanashi-hen:
Kyon: Now, I know perfectly well how to make curry, but our author lacks knowledge that me, Tanigawa-sama, and probably most Japanese people have about the curry-making process, so it'll have to be glossed over.
- He also makes many references to how the story would be better in another medium, e.g. with images or with sound.
- Cavalry Betrayal: Nagato.
- Cell Phones Are Useless: There's no cell phone service at all in Hinimizawa. In fact, the SOS Brigade can't contact anyone in Hinamizawa. In fact, when they do receive a fake call, it surprises everyone.
- Character Tags: Dark!Psycho!Über!Haruhi, Canon!Everyone else.
- Chekhov's Gun: More like Chekhov's Crossbow.
- Yuki: I would advise refreshing that list. Nobody is to be trusted. Errant behavior is present in... all individuals here.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Mion.
- What about Nagato? She freaking claws her out to the point of decapitating herself.
- Darker and Edgier: It's a given for the Haruhi cast, but it's Darker and Edgier than most Higurashi arcs as well when you take into account the supernatural murders that Haruhi gets up to, not to mention the fact that Kamigoroshi-hen has a higher non-gas related body count than any of the official Higurashi arcs.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Several scenes are intentionally reminiscent of scenes from the source material. In fact, a few scenes have lines directly copied from the scripts as to provide a meta-Ironic Echo.
- These dominate the sequel, although Given how similar the plot is to Onikakushi-hen, this isn't that surprising.
- Deus Angst Machina: Haruhi considers Satoko's plight as this. By name.
- Diabolus Ex Machina: So, although in a most messed up way possible, things wrapped themeselves up and Kyon survives. Hello, Ryoko!
- Actually, there was no Ryoko. Figure that one out.
- Simple. Ryoko was not there like Mion was not there with the hammer killing Keiichi in Watanagashi-hen. Both of them hallucinated in their respective arcs and died because of the same thing, a heart attack.
- Did You Actually Believe?: Said by Takano, to Haruhi, about the Hammer of Oyashiro-sama. Considering that Haruhi had just used "divine" powers to kill three people...
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: It's heavily implied that Rena molested — or worse — Kyon after he passed out. She didn't, though.
- Due to the Dead: Rena gets what can only be barely called a funeral, consisting of being buried in a pit by three people and no rites. However, neither Kyon, Nagato, or Koizumi know any last rites, and Kyon sincerely wishes that she could be given a better burial then the one given.
- Eye Scream: Keiichi gets his eye sliced open with a razorblade arrow. Kyon himself calls it "an impromptu ranged recreation of Un Chien Andalou".
- Famous Last Words: Quite a few (will be updated as the fanfic updates).
- "I... I'm very... sorry..." Rena
- "Who... what are you?!" "Mion"
- This is notable because it's forced to be her last words.
- "No, please, that wasn't—" Shion
- "Wait... I'm right, aren't I?" Haruhi
- "It's good to have met you, Kyon. I'm glad that I met someone so... so interesting." Rika
- "That would be... you." Yuki
- Fingore: Nearly used when Haruhi drives a nail through Kyon's hand.
- More properly used when Yuki slices off all of Rika's fingers.
- Flat "What."
- For Want of a Nail: Kyon refers to this one by name. And a link to the article in the TV Tropes version.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Haruhi wants Keiichi to "...just die!". Naturally, he does.
- I Always Wanted to Say That: Kyon can't resist saying "Round 1: Fight!" as Haruhi and Mion square off.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Kyon doesn't describe Mion's body "for the sake of [our] stomachs".
- Gratuitous Japanese; Averted: Only honorifics are retained.
- Groin Attack: Delivered by Haruhi to Shion.
- Helpful Hallucination: Ryoko in the sequel.
"Yay! You've finally managed to figure out the difference between reality and mental images!"
- Kill 'em All: With only one or two (possible) exceptions.
- Knight Templar: Nagato becomes one, going as far as trying to kill Kyon to improve the situation.
- Lampshade Hanging: Quite a bit of this creeps into the story, as we see Kyon's take on the craziness of Higurashi: When They Cry.
- Made of Iron: Yuki gets wailed on by Keiichi with a golf club, and doesn't take a scratch. Subverted when Haruhi arrives on the scene, forcing the masquerade and Yuki goes down.
- Haruhi, too. She manages to survive a slit throat.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: Made complicated by what is definite magic from one work and what is definite mundanity (to an extent) from another.
- Mythology Gag: More or less an in-continuity Historical In-Joke, and it's not directly stated, but it turns out that the reason that one of Hanyuu's horns is broken is because Nagato broke it off.note
- Newspaper Dating: Only used as a last-second conformation that the SOS Brigade is in 1983: The real notification is that the date on Kyon's cash is off.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Satoko, again, this time by Haruhi.
- Non Sequitur Thud: Haruhi gets one (with a Call Back to boot!) after being poisoned by Mion's soup.
- Noodle Implements: Mion wants to do unpleasant things to Kyon with a katana and some leather straps.
- No Periods, Period: Averted in the worst way possible... with a side order of maggots.
- No Sense of Direction: Haruhi.
- Off with His Head!: The decapitated corpse. It's Mikuru.
- Oracular Urchin: Rika, as usual.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Haruhi doesn't care.
- Painting the Medium: In the TV Tropes version at least, text size sometimes changes, as does the color. It even "fades out" as Nagato is dying. Occasionally, there are even links to TV Tropes articles and background music too.
- Also, in first chapter of the second arc, everything Hanyuu says is inserted as really faded font in the line breaks, making it possible to actually miss some of what she says. Good thing Kyon interacts with her, as it prevents the reader from missing it altogether.
- Potty Failure: Poor Satoko...
- Power Creep, Power Seep; Averted: Yuki and Haruhi are depowered for some reason.
- It turns out that that's either not true or irrelevant by the end, though. What's more, it shows exactly how dangerous and scary two of the most powerful characters ever can be if they go crazy.
- Precision F-Strike: Right at the end of Chapter 3-5.
- Also in 4-1, by Itsuki out of all people.
- Pretty Little Headshots
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Haruhi does this to Mion.
- Right Behind Me: Our narrator got hit with it, by Mion.
- Sarcasm Failure
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog
- Shout-Out: Not on the levels of the original, but they're there.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Used by Kyon, quite a bit. Haruhi references it by name, as well.
- Wham Episode: All the chapters, even the first one.
- Especially 4-5. Haruhi dies.
- Understatement: A lot of it on Haruhi and Koizumi's parts.
- Up to Eleven: The story tends to take aspects of Higurashi and take them past the logical conclusion. Bleeding maggots? Haruhi has her period while sick with Hinamizawa Syndrome. Tearing your throat out? Nagato doesn't stop.
- Voice of the Legion: Haruhi starts talking with the voices of the people she killed after she gets her throat slit.
- Your Head Asplode: Finishes off both Keiichi and Chapter Three.
Please post your thoughts and your discussions of it in the thread in the fora.
Constructive criticism and brainstorming is welcome!