Fan Fic / The Captain of the Virtual Console
The Captain of the Virtual Console
is a Massively Multiplayer Crossover Fan Fic
written by Gancena
, loosely based off of the premise to Captain N: The Game Master
and similar works.
The story begins with a presence of light realizing a hero is needed to fight back against the ever-growing darkness pervading the world. She summons one, and gets Gancena
, a video game fangirl who was playing her Nintendo Wii
. Luckily, Gancena is interested in what's happened, and listens to the presence—named Selene—and her story.
The gaming worlds are under attack from creatures known as the Thoughtless, mindless monsters that represent Moral Guardians
and the worst aspects of the Fan Dumb
. If the attacks continue, Selene will be unable to stop them and their influence will spread into the real world, destroying everything. The gaming worlds need a hero to travel to the worlds and gather a Runestone, a representation of players' love for games, from each of them. Doing this would save all worlds from annihilation.
Eager and somewhat hesitant at first, Gancena accepts, taking on the mantle of the Captain of the Virtual Console (or Virtual Console Captain). With a SNES Super Scope in hand, the Captain travels to the worlds to collect the Runestones and save the gaming worlds and her own.
It can be found on Fanfiction.net
. The author's Twitter can be found here
, and her tumblr here
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Thoughtless are this to Moral Guardians and ignorant gamers, and Selene is this to gamers' hopes and dreams, acting as the bond between players and games. In Chapter 2, Gancena briefly sees a Thoughtless take the form of Giygas.
- Ascended Fangirl: Gancena.
- Author Appeal: Classic games are just as cool as new ones, and deserve respect.
- Author Avatar: Gancena.
- Call to Adventure: Gancena gets this while playing her Nintendo Wii.
- Captain Superhero: Lampshaded in reference to Captain N: The Game Master.
- The Chosen One: Gancena.
- Cliffhanger: Chapter 5 ends with the Thoughtless descending on Blaine's mansion.
- Composite Character: Blaine, being from Pokemon Yellow, has traits of his game and anime selves.
- Continuity Cameo: Yellow from Pokémon Special appears.
- Demonic Possession: The Thoughtless possess some Rocket Grunts and their Pokemon, as well as Haunter.
- Dramatic Irony: Applies regarding Giovanni, as the other Gym Leaders have no idea he's evil.
- Due to the Dead: In chapter 10, Gancena and Haunter hold a funeral service for Marowak and Blue's Raticate.
- Expy: According to Word of God, Selene is one to both Princess Lana from Captain N: The Game Master and Princess Celestia from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Gateway Series: In-universe. Pokemon was this for Gancena; it's the one she chooses to enter first.
- Gender-Blender Name: Gancena names a female Pikachu "Ash," after the male Ash Ketchum.
- Heal Thyself: Green apples, via Hyperactive Metabolism.
- Heartwarming Orphan: Ash the Pikachu.
- Hub Level: Selene's domain, with portals to the other worlds.
- Inspiration Nod: Gancena briefly mentions Captain N: The Game Master and how it at least had a good premise.
- Just a Kid: The Rockets see Red as this. He proves them wrong.
- Light Gun: Gancena's weapon of choice is a SNES Super Scope.
- Living Lie Detector: Sabrina's Alakazam.
- MacGuffin: The Runestones, representations of the love players have for games.
- Massively Multiplayer Crossover
- The Mentor: Mew.
- Mythology Gag: The Pokemon arc, despite being an adaptation of Pokemon Yellow, has some post-Gen 1 elements, like Berries and Johto Pokemon.
- Naďve Newcomer: Ash the Pikachu. She's never seen an ocean before.
- Named by the Adaptation: Red's parents, Rose and Glehn Spruce.
- Original Generation: Gancena, Selene, and the Thoughtless.
- Pokémon: Gancena's first destination is Pallet Town, specifically as seen in Pokemon Yellow.
- Poor Communication Kills: Gancena forgets to tell Erika that Giovanni is the boss of Team Rocket after narrowly seeing him get away.
- Retro Gaming
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Plenty of Pokemon, but most notably Red's Pikachu, the Kanto Starter Pokemon, Blaine's twin Ponyta foals, and Gancena's Pikachu, Ash.
- Save Both Worlds: The gaming world(s) and the real one are in danger.
- Self-Insert Fic: Gancena is the author, though timeshifted to about 2011 or so.
- Shout-Out: The forest full of Pikachu is one to the Pokemon anime episode "Pikachu's Goodbye," which also had an entire forest full of Pikachu.
- Starter Villain: Offshoots of the Thoughtless are fought in Chapter 2, and a fully-grown one in chapter 4.
- Talking Pokemon: A talking Haunter appears in Chapter 9.
- Third-Option Adaptation: Gancena enters the world of Pokemon Yellow, where Red has a Pikachu, Blue has an Eevee, and Giovanni has a Persian.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Gancena likes Granny Smith apples.
- The Unreveal: Despite catching a Dugtrio, Red and Gancena never find out what its body looks like.
- Video Game Lives
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Mew, via Transform.
- Wham Line: Chapter 9 has one concerning Blue's Raticate.