Fan Fic: The Bitterness Trilogy
The Bitterness Trilogy
a collection of Phineas and Ferb
fics. As the title suggests, they are very dark, but not quite serious enough to be considered DarkFics
, since they are scattered with many a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
. The stories follow a plot revolving around pre-release interpretations of the alternate dimensional
versions of the characters from Phineas and Ferb Across the Second Dimenion
The first story, entitled The Bitterness of Phineas Flynn
, opens with a usual day on the job, the boys go on a mission to stop Doof, his minion Platyborg show up, etc., etc. Unfortunately, Doofenshmirtz had plans on revenge that day and was prepared for them. After being knocked of a high platform, Ferb dies in Phineas's arms,
and Phineas swears to avenge him.
The story sometimes has cheesy writing and contains a lot of homage from Star Wars
, but as a whole, is a wonderful story and should tug at your heartstrings and/or tear ducts at least
once. And it has an Aesop
that may actually be useful to you
The second story, The Bitterness of Candace Flynn
, though significantly shorter, is just as good, if not better than the first. It opens with a Flash Back
to a the day tho boy's parents and sister get captured by Doofenshmirtz's minions. We get no indication as to where the parents are, but we do
know that Candace joins the dark side. Back in present day, on another usual day on the job
, the boys discover Candace has become fully evil. And everything just gets cooler from there
The third and final story, The Bitterness of the Empire
, concludes the series with a bang. A new character, Phineas's long-lost uncle
, Phineas Phoebus Flynn
, is introduced, battles are fought, tears are shed, lives are lost (Though, thankfully, none of them are characters we know
), and Phineas tries to commit suicide
. Yeah, you heard me right. We won't tell you why, though.
Read the first story here
, the second one here
, and the final one here
Tropes for The Bitterness Trilogy:
open/close all folders
Tropes relevant to the series as a whole
Tropes specific to the first story
- An Aesop: In the words of the author, "Two wrongs don't make a right, so forgive and forget. It is hard, but you will feel better if you try. Trust me."
- Back from the Dead
- Break the Cutie: Poor, poor Phineas...
- Ferb too. He died from internal bleeding!
- Brotherly Love Makes You Evil
- Berserker Tears: "I will avenge you."
- Big "NO!": Three. Two by Phineas, one by Jessie.
- Dead Person Conversation
- Dead Sidekick
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: After Ferb suffers a fatal fall, he whispers out his last words while being supported in Phineas's lap. He then dies a paragraph later in the emergency aid.
- Famous Last Words: "Goodbye, brother."
- I Will Only Slow You Down:
"Y-you will [make it]," Phineas stammered. "Y-you have to."
Ferb gave Phineas a sad look. "Just go. Leave me
- Intangible Man: Actually averted by Ferb's ghost, who can sit down on solid objects and is somehow capable of hugging Phineas, who mentally lampshades it but doesn't really care.
- Jacob Marley Warning: Subverted. Ferb's ghost pays Phineas a visit and shows him what will become of him if he continues, but he does not represent this fate himself.
- Kill the Cutie: Ferb suffers from this trope, causing Phineas to go insane.
- Love Confession: Phineas to Isabella in Chapter 6
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Ferb's ghost pays Phineas a visit to ask him to turn back on his dark decision.
- Say My Name: "FERB!"
- Tears of Joy: When Ferb is resurrected and he reunites with his family.
- The Dark Side
- Title Drop: Eh, sort of:
[Phineas] had given up hiding his bitterness.
- Troubled Child: To the point that you almost forget that Phineas is only a little older than ten years old.
Tropes specific to the second story
Tropes specific to the third story