Fan Fic: The Bitterness Trilogy
The Bitterness Trilogy a collection of Phineas and Ferb fics. As the title suggests, they are very dark, but not quite serious enough to be considered DarkFics, since they are scattered with many a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. The stories follow a plot revolving around pre-release interpretations of the alternate dimensional versions of the characters from Phineas and Ferb Across the Second Dimenion.The first story, entitled The Bitterness of Phineas Flynn, opens with a usual day on the job, the boys go on a mission to stop Doof, his minion Platyborg show up, etc., etc. Unfortunately, Doofenshmirtz had plans on revenge that day and was prepared for them. After being knocked of a high platform, Ferb dies in Phineas's arms, and Phineas swears to avenge him.The story sometimes has cheesy writing and contains a lot of homage from Star Wars, but as a whole, is a wonderful story and should tug at your heartstrings and/or tear ducts at least once. And it has an Aesop that may actually be useful to you.The second story, The Bitterness of Candace Flynn, though significantly shorter, is just as good, if not better than the first. It opens with a Flash Back to a the day tho boy's parents and sister get captured by Doofenshmirtz's minions. We get no indication as to where the parents are, but we do know that Candace joins the dark side. Back in present day, on another usual day on the job, the boys discover Candace has become fully evil. And everything just gets cooler from there.The third and final story, The Bitterness of the Empire, concludes the series with a bang. A new character, Phineas's long-lost uncle, Phineas Phoebus Flynn, is introduced, battles are fought, tears are shed, lives are lost (Though, thankfully, none of them are characters we know), and Phineas tries to commit suicide . Yeah, you heard me right. We won't tell you why, though.Read the first story here, the second one here, and the final one here.
Tropes for The Bitterness Trilogy:
open/close all folders
Tropes relevant to the series as a whole
- Darker and Edgier: Ferb dies in the first chapter of the first story, let's start from there.
- Manly Tears: This is probably the author's favorite trope.
- Out of Character: Well, this ''is'' an alternate universe after all.
- Physical Scars, Psychological Scars: Phineas gets a scar on his cheek as a reminder of his very-near descent into evil.
- Shout-Out: The series contains several references to other media:
- The first story was slightly inspired by Revenge of the Sith.
- The first chapter in the first story mentions that Ferb fell for three seconds, referencing the "three seconds deep" gag from its source material in a bit of black comedy.
- "THIS. IS. DANVILLE!"
- The scene with Ferb's ghost is based on a scene in Lion King.
- Chapter 1's title in the second story is named after a lyric in "Fight Inside" by [[Music/Red Red]].
- "I'll give you two reasons!" Heinz said angrily. "1...2..." he added, holding up two fingers.
- Candace's Heel-Face Turn was based on a scene in yet another Star Wars film.
- One of the lines in the last story ("Judge me now for who I am—or am I to be blamed for crimes I didn't commit?") is a slightly altered line from Lion King 2.
- Another line ("Minions, assemble!") is from Despicable Me.
- The Wiki Rule: It has its own wiki.
- Would Hurt a Child: Doofenshmirtz would be delighted to hurt and/or kill either of the boys, who are both 10-ish. And he succeeds, triggering the story.
- Not to mention he'd willingly kill anybody in the resistance, who range in age from teenagers to very young children.
Tropes specific to the first story
- An Aesop: In the words of the author, "Two wrongs don't make a right, so forgive and forget. It is hard, but you will feel better if you try. Trust me."
- Back from the Dead
- Break the Cutie: Poor, poor Phineas...
- Ferb too. He died from internal bleeding!
- Brotherly Love Makes You Evil
- Berserker Tears: "I will avenge you."
- Big "NO!": Three. Two by Phineas, one by Jessie.
- Dead Person Conversation
- Dead Sidekick
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: After Ferb suffers a fatal fall, he whispers out his last words while being supported in Phineas's lap. He then dies a paragraph later in the emergency aid.
- Famous Last Words: "Goodbye, brother."
- I Will Only Slow You Down:"Y-you will [make it]," Phineas stammered. "Y-you have to."Ferb gave Phineas a sad look. "Just go. Leave me."
- Intangible Man: Actually averted by Ferb's ghost, who can sit down on solid objects and is somehow capable of hugging Phineas, who mentally lampshades it but doesn't really care.
- Jacob Marley Warning: Subverted. Ferb's ghost pays Phineas a visit and shows him what will become of him if he continues, but he does not represent this fate himself.
- Kill the Cutie: Ferb suffers from this trope, causing Phineas to go insane.
- Love Confession: Phineas to Isabella in Chapter 6
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Ferb's ghost pays Phineas a visit to ask him to turn back on his dark decision.
- Say My Name: "FERB!"
- Tears of Joy: When Ferb is resurrected and he reunites with his family.
- The Dark Side
- Title Drop: Eh, sort of:[Phineas] had given up hiding his bitterness.
- Troubled Child: To the point that you almost forget that Phineas is only a little older than ten years old.
- Two stories later he actually tries to commit suicide
Tropes specific to the second story
- Big Brother Instinct: He may be the older one by only a month, but Ferb's still got it strongly.Ferb: "You will not hurt my brother!"
- Despair Event Horizon: Phineas hits this when he and Ferb discover Candace has become evil.
- Group Hug: Near the end of the last chapter all the siblings share one.
- The Power of Love: Invoked:
- "You underestimate the power of love," said Phineas. "We still love you, Sis. No matter what, we always will."
Tropes specific to the third story
- Axe Crazy: Irving
- Bungled Suicide: Phineas's first attempt was a failure
- Cry into Chest: When Jeffville falls, everybody does this to everyone, pretty much.
- Also happens when Ferb saves Phineas from killing himself.
- Dark Fic: Phineas's attempted suicides officially makes this the darkest story of the three.
- Driven to Suicide: Phineas. Yes, Phineas. He lives, though.
- Interrupted Suicide:" Phineas, what did you think you were doing?"
- Long-Lost Relative: It's never mentioned in the story, but Word of God states that Phineas Phoebus Flynn is Phineas's long-lost uncle.
- My God, What Have I Done?: This is how Phineas feels after Jeffville's destruction.
- Name's the Same: Phineas Phoebus Flynn
- Villainous Crush: Jeremy to Candace (He's a bad guy in this fic)