Wufei, struggling with his demons, agrees to a wartime fling with Heero, no affection needed or wanted. But the 'arrangement' lasts and grows as they join the preventers. It could become a source of strength for both... if they let it.The Arrangement
is a Heero/Wufei Gundam Wing
fic written by maldoror-gw
, who is also the writer of Diplomatic Relations
The story is 39 chapters long, along with a two-part epilogue, and takes place from the beginning of Gundam Wing
to the end of the war, then follows a post-war storyline.
The Arrangement provides examples of:
- Arranged Marriage: Wufei's memories of his marriage to Meiran.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Wufei originally agrees to the arrangement solely so he can practise sparring with Heero.
- Badass Bookworm: Wufei refers to his pre-war self as a bookish scholar and still reads classic literature in his spare time, a habit that Heero finds intriguing and baffling. While Wufei's at university, his uncle also tries to get him to change his major from politics to literature, his true passion.
- Curtain Fic: The second half of the epilogue is mostly an example of this, and the author has expressed some regret at including it in the story for this reason.
- Determinator: Both Heero and Wufei take this to the extreme.
- Deus Angst Machina: The story drops this on Wufei in spades. As the author puts it, "I put Wufei through the mincer. Heero's not having fun either."
- Bodyguard Crush: Relena has hopes for a relationship with Heero, though Heero himself doesn't realize this.
- Hallucinations: Wufei's increasingly dangerous and vivid hallucinations.
- Heroic BSOD: In the climactic end of the fic, Wufei experiences an epic breakdown.
- Hitman with a Heart: Wufei comes to realize that Heero is one of these (sort of).
- Jerkass: Both Wufei and Heero, to each other and also to Duo, who visits them for a chapter.
- Not Himself: Heero pinpoints this as the problem with Wufei when Wufei is failing to recover from a major injury and going into mental breakdown.
- Proud Scholar Race Guy: Wufei's memories of his colony.
- Sanity Slippage: Poor Wufei...
- Through the Eyes of Madness: When Wufei's Heroic BSOD reaches its apex, the story narrates his point-of-view, even while the reader is made aware (through Quatre's concurrent conversation with Wufei) that Wufei is hallucinating most of what he sees.
- Undercover as Lovers: Heero and Wufei take a mission that requires this. Wufei doesn't think it'll work, since the pair are hardly polite to each other.
- Unreliable Narrator: The entire story is a particularly clever example. The story is told from Wufei's perspective in the third person. The reader initially believes that the story is simply told objectively, and only slowly realizes as the story goes on that Wufei's seemingly objective understanding of the world is actually dangerously twisted. The couple of chapters narrated by Trowa hint at this:
Wufei was very good at observing things only if he wasn't emotionally involved in them. At the slightest hint of that passion he was capable of, his eyes went blind, and he filtered everything he saw through his own interpretations, emotions tamed and warped by his intellect as if they were dangerous things to be rigorously controlled... He knew how deadly Wufei's emotions could be, trapping even their owner into a glass maze where nothing was quite what it seemed.