. When L tells the taskforce why he freaked out so much over the Second Kira mentioning "the eyes" Light decides that using this "Beyond Birthday" as Kira's eyes is too good an opportunity to pass up and so suggests
; but Light gets more than he bargained for—controlling BB is harder than he anticipated and to buy his silence Light has to agree to be
- Alone With Prisoner Ploy
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Bastard Boyfriend: Beyond to Light.
- Bi the Way: Light.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Light and Beyond are actually on pretty equal footing. They've portioned it out so they can share power-Light is in charge of the Evil Plan and Beyond is in charge in bed.
- Big "Shut Up!": Light gets annoyed when Beyond and L are arguing.
- Birds of a Feather: Beyond becomes intrigued upon meeting Light.
- Bishōnen: Light
Beyond: After you, my pretty lady.
Light: I'm not your...pretty lady!
- Black Comedy: Let's see, it's a story about two serial killers pretending to be a loving couple.
- Brains and Bondage: Beyond and Light
- Bullying a Dragon:
Beyond: So, you're ...a god of death?
Beyond: Hm, you're ugly...
Light: What the hell are you doing?
Light: Checking what?
Beyond: Whether you still smelled like...you know.
Light: Seriously, what's wrong with you?
Beyond: So many things.
L: You two are sort of retarded...
Beyond: I know you are but what am I?!
L: More retarded.
- Calling Your Bathroom Breaks: Beyond does this in order to talk to Light alone.
- Canon Foreigner: Beyond Birthday who is from the Death Note Prequel Light Novel Another Note and doesn't appear in the manga or anime.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Beyond
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Light is this to Beyond despite being pretty crazy himself.
- Coitus Uninterruptus: Beyond tries to initiate sex with Light in front of the taskforce, including Light's father.
- Comedic Sociopathy
- Consulting a Convicted Killer: Light's reasoning for why they should involve Beyond in the Kira case.
- Counting to Three: Beyond does this in an... unorthodox way "Okay...5-11-3!"
- Covert Pervert: L
- Crack Fic
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Beyond.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Beyond walks in on Light as he's wanking off to Pamela Anderson, Heidi Klum, and Hugh Jackman
- Dating What Daddy Hates: Souichiro is understandably not happy when his son begins dating a known Serial Killer.
- Deadpan Snarker: Light and Beyond.
- Demoted to Extra: L and the Taskforce.
- Depraved Homosexual: Beyond Birthday
- Double Meaning: Light and Beyond strike up their bargain right in front of Aizawa by pretending to be talking about a game of cards.
- The Dragon: Beyond agrees to be this for Light/Kira as long as his demands are met.
- Emo Teen: Aw, Light.
Light: I need to study so I can become a policeman like my father.
Beyond: Like you could ever make it, being Kira and all.
Light: Why don't you do a Mexican hat dance on top of my hopes and dreams, asshole?
- Engineered Public Confession: L and the taskforce attempt to do this by leaving Light and Beyond alone in a room together but by luck they don't get around to talking about anything incriminating.
- Erotic Eating: Beyond with his jam.
- Evil Laugh: At one point Beyond almost gives them away with his evil cackling.
- Fluff: Despite WHO the "loving couple" are, the story gets pretty fluffy.
- For Want of a Nail: Light and Beyond make contact because L let slip about why the second Kira mentioning "the eyes" might be significant.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: L sends Aizawa along to supervise the prisoner transfer but with the ease Light has with communicating with Beyond, Aizawa might as well not be there at all.
- Handsome Lech: Beyond
- Hitler Ate Sugar: Beyond makes this argument when he declares that sugar is evil.
- Holding Hands: One of the more "innocent" ways Beyond gets grabby with Light.
- Hollywood Law: L and the taskforce allow a convicted Serial Killer to bunk with a college student for the sake of secrecy and convenience.
- Horrifying the Horror: L nearly gives Light and Beyond heart attacks when he comes popping out of his hiding place in the seemingly empty hotel room.
- Human Resources: When Matusda is being tardy and useless as usual Beyond suggests that they could always sell Matsuda on the black market.
- Hypocritical Humor:
Light: Vanity is a mortal sin, you know.
Beyond: Is that so, god?
- Idiot Ball: L mentioning his reason for freaking out over the "eyes" in front of his Kira suspect.
- I'm Standing Right Here:
L: Are you aware of the fact that he's an insane killer?
Light: Couldn't help but notice.
Beyond: Hey, don't talk about Beyond like Beyond's not even here.
- Insult Back Fire:
Light: You know I used to think I took the prize for obnoxiousness, but what do you know, I bow to the champion.
Beyond: Thank you, you're too kind.
- It's All About Me:
Light (being choked by Beyond): Can't – breathe-!
Beyond: You and your needs...
- Laughably Evil: Beyond, Light has his moments too.
- Leave Him to Me: Beyond agrees to help Light in his little plan but calls dibs on killing L.
- Lethal Chef: Beyond.
- The Mad Hatter: "Beyond doesn't suffer from insanity; he enjoys it!"
- Manly Gay: Beyond.
- A Match Made in Stockholm: Beyond is technically Light's (and the taskforce's) prisoner but Beyond can just as easily kill or ruin Light.
- Masochist's Meal: You'd have to be crazy to consider eating anything that Beyond has prepared.
- The Mole: Light, of course.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Beyond with Light.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Beyond gets Light alone in the bathroom (at first).
Light: Oh, screw you and get out of here. Aizawa's gonna think we're doing god-knows-what in here.
- Oblivious to Love: Light at first is oblivious to Beyond's sexual interest in him and when he does pick up on it for a while he manages to convince himself that it can't possibly be there.
"If the brunette didn't know any better, he would have thought Beyond Birthday was coming on to him. Of course, that thought was ridiculous. He wasn't gay. He was insane."
- Older than They Look:
Beyond: You know that after sex you always look a lot younger?
Light: Well, gee, thank you captain pedo. You can tell me these things when I'm forty.
- OOC: Again, for Rule of Funny.
- Potty Emergency: Beyond claims he has this during his prison transfer so that he can talk to Light alone.
- Pungeon Master: Beyond
Light: I swear to god if you don't stop this shit right now-
Beyond: There'll be a satanic wig?
Light: Huh? What are you on about?
Beyond: You know. Hell toupee.
- Real Men Hate Sugar: Beyond is of the opinion that sugar is evil.
- Road Movie: The first chapter is "prisoner transport" which means Light and Aizawa are alone in a car with Beyond Birthday-no wonder Aizawa tunes them out.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: To keep Beyond's mouth shut Light has to agree to be his boyfriend.
- Seme: Beyond Birthday "the aggressive top"
- Serial Killer: Beyond
- Serial-Killer Killer: Kira
- Shout-Out: To Pirates of the Caribbean and The Matrix
- Slash Fic: It's Beyond/Light (with L peeping on them).
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: Light and Beyond.
- The Sociopath: Light and Beyond.
- Stalker with a Crush: Beyond for Light.
- Swapped Roles: For this fic Beyond is essentially in Misa's role though Beyond seems to give Light much more trouble than Misa because unlike what happens to Misa's character the writer remembers that Beyond is a Serial Killer, is a threat, and has a brain.
- Terms of Endangerment: Beyond is all over this.
- There Is Only One Bed: And Beyond violently rejects to the idea of sleeping on the floor so he'll just have to sleep with Light.
- Third-Person Person: Beyond begins talking like this when L and Light begin talking about him as if he weren't in the room.
- Token Evil Teammate: Beyond is this for the Taskforce-at least in theory. In practice he's Light's Dragon.
- Too Kinky to Torture
- Took a Level in Dumbass: Everyone as per Rule of Funny
- Trademark Favorite Food: Beyond's jam.
- Trojan Prisoner: Naturally Light is getting Beyond transferred to the custody of the taskforce so that he can defeat L.
- Trouble Entendre: Light and Beyond strike up a bargain while pretending to be talking about a game of cards.
- Tsundere: Light is a type A.
- Uke: Light
- Undercover as Lovers: Beyond insists that in order to throw off L they need to "pretend" to be together.
- Unholy Matrimony: Light and Beyond.
"In the past few weeks, they'd managed to convince everyone that they were in fact a loving couple rather than two psychopaths hooking up for kicks. Although Light wasn't too sure about L, the detective still seemed suspicious and watched their every move. Although Beyond kept insisting L was just a peeper."
- Unsexy Sadist: Though Beyond's brutal treatment of Light gets Played for Laughs, Beyond is still very creepy.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Sayu
- You're Insane!: Beyond gets this a lot.