The Tale of Solaron is a fanfiction of Dungeons & Dragons
, born on the /tg/ board of 4chan. The story follows the adventures of Solaron, a naive young man who sets out from home to become a great adventurer. However, Solaron is faced with many challenges in his quest, due to him being a Yuan Ti, a race of Snake People
usually known for cold, calculating evil. Solaron is anything but this however, and sets off to find adventure, friendship and excitement on the open road.
While largely a humor story, the Tale of Solaron follows an adventurer as he goes into oftentimes mortal danger, mixing in just as much action and exploration as jokes.
Currently in progress with updates almost daily, the Tale of Solaron can so far only be found in the suptg archive, in its original thread form. Luckily, the comments thus far are not very traumatic by 4chan standards.
Archived story: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Solaron
1d4chan article: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_Solaron
- Abhorrent Admirer: The doppelganger thief seems to think Solaron is quite attractive, and fantasizes about taking Sol along with it for company. While in Sol's form at the time.
- Accidental Pervert: Solaron, who continuously spouts innuendo whenever he speaks to a lady for more than ten seconds at a stretch. He has no idea he's doing it, but has thus far managed to seduce four ladies from three entirely different species, and then humorously subvert their expectations.
- Attempted Rape: Solaron is almost raped by an orc when he tried to sweet talk his way out of a cage. He fights her off with no idea what she was trying to do.
- Becoming the Mask: The doppelganger enjoys his time as Solaron so much the real Solaron is able to convince him to change his ways.
- Cool Sword: Two. Solaron's saber given to him by his instructor, and Sloane's holy bastard sword.
- Did They or Didn't They?: It is implied that Sal'vir and doppelganger Solaron may have gotten to know each other.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Completely subverted when the orc tries to rape Solaron.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady:Blake convinces Sal'vir that Solaron is female, and Sol is convinced Sal'vir is female because of his long hair and dress-like robe.
- Elves Versus Dwarves: Sal'vir and Buri seem to get along allright, though there is an air of antagonism between them.
- Foe Yay: While Solaron and the orc is a fairly brutal example, the doppelganger's attraction to him is a more traditional example of the trope.
- Friend to All Children: Solaron. So far he has returned a lost little girl home while singing to calm her nerves, spent what was almost the last of his food money to buy a gift for a boy's tenth birthday, and has attempted to engage an infant in witty banter, though it was very one sided.
- Gentleman Thief: How the doppelganger sees himself.
- Gorgeous Gorgon: Judging by his ability to seduce multiple humans and possibly an elf Solaron seems to be a rare male example of this trope.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Blake is a half breed of human and halfling. Solaron sees the opportunities for puns immediately.
- Heel-Face Turn: Solaron redeems the doppelganger he meets, and convinces it to follow a life of adventure and friendship.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Solaron at one point threatens to eat Blake for a prank he pulled. However, he hasn't actually eaten anyone. yet
- Innocent Fanservice Guy: Again, Solaron. Yuan Ti's idea of 'casual wear' being a bit of an oxymoron, Solaron tends to not wear anything unless he has a practical reason to do so. This tends to excite the imaginations of ladies, though he has no idea he's doing anything suggestive. Even when he wears clothes they only serve to show off how he really isn't wearing anything, as Sloane remarks.
- Innocent Innuendo: Solaron in spades. Whenever he tries to be charming he comes across as seductive.
- Master Swordsman: Solaron is trying to be this, in a setting where broadswords and plate armor are common he uses a saber as his weapon of choice. His combat instructor played it straight though.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Buri seems to play this straight so far, being a short Scotsman in plate armor with a long beard and an axe.
- Our Nudity Is Different: What makes Sol the innocent fanservice guy. Yuan Ti only wear clothes when they have a practical reason for doing so, like armor or work gear, or are trying to dress up and impress someone.
- Shout-Out: Several thus far. Solaron references having read The Hobbit, and Sloane paraphrases Blues Brothers. Solaron also sings the Ballad of Cathain, from Witchblade, and listens to the Song of Durin, played by Colin Rudd.
- Smug Snake: Yuan Ti society tends to be like this. Solaron is a complete inversion, being very modest and humble.
- Snake People: Naturally. Yuan Ti are partially humanoid serpents, and Solaron is a Yuan Ti.
- Sssssnaketalk: Completely averted, Solaron being quite well spoken, though he does often hiss when angry.
- Swallowed Whole: Yuan Ti cannot chew food, so this is how Sol eats everything.
- The Paladin: Sloane is a literal paladin of Pelor, and tends to play it straight.
- Warrior Monk: Galen, a cleric of Pelor. He doubles as the Combat Medic.