Don't worry. I have a plan.
A fanfic by Lavanya Six, which proceeds to turn the entire Peggy Sue
trope completely on it's head... by sending Gendo
back in time, instead of the usual (i.e. Shinji). Available here
- Break the Haughty: Asuka's started earlier than in canon.
- Calling the Old Man Out - Fuyutsuki (ironically) and Shinji.
- Creepy Child - Rei, as Hideki Anno always intended.
- Crowning Momentof Funny
- Shinji's imagination running away with the idea of being thrown in jail for spilling classified secrets.
- Gendo sings Karaoke. With Fuyutsuki. At a strip club.
- Rei being mistaken for a computerized answering machine by Asuka when she takes a call for Misato.
- Dirty Old Woman - Yui and Lovecraftian!Asuka.
- Dysfunction Junction: Misato's household, even more than the canon version.
- Evil Detecting Penguin - Gendo: "I was not aware that penguins could growl"
- Gilligan Cut - Indulged in during the lighter moments.
Fuyutsuki: Trust me, Shinji. If there's one thing the commander doesn't get, it's angry.
Thirty Minutes Ago
Gendo: I am going to murder that little shit.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners - Gendo and Fuyutsuki. Depending on if the balls touched while fulling Yui's birthday request of a threesome.
- Important Haircut - Important Beard Trim.
- And not just that—one flash forward to an EoE sequence sees Misato make a comment about Asuka's shorter hair.
- Love at First Punch - Possibly Touji.
- Manipulative Bastard - Gendo. Rarely actually works though.
- Mistaken for Gay - Shinji gets this by Gendo.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Anti-Hero: Gendo's attempts to improve his relationship with Rei and Shinji approach Epic Fail levels.
- Old Shame: To Lavanya Six, believe it or not.
- Peggy Sue - Subverted. It's the villain that goes back. And a slightly Lovecraftian, immortal version of Asuka, but not properly.
- Promotion to Parent: Hikari Horaki after her mother's death.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: In Chapter 4:
Fuyutsuki: "THIS! ISN'T! FUNNY!"
- Schedule Slip: Was once updated on a somewhat regular basis, then slowed down and eventually stopped moving for a while in 2009. Got one more chapter in early 2010, and it's been dormant since then. The author has admitted that she's struggled with the direction the story had taken, and that it was making it difficult to write. She has, however, promised that she will eventually finish it, as she doesn't want to become "one of those authors."
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong - It doesn't work very well.
- So Proud of You - Gendo does this. It gets seen through.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Done by Lovecraftian!Asuka in Shinji's dream.
"That's how you know it, and how I, who am an illusion of your mind and definitely not a phantom from the Dark Era at the absolute end of the universe's entropic arc, know it too."
- Title Drop - "I'm glad we've had this chance to take sight of each other"
- Troubled, but Cute: Misato's exact words to describe Shinji in the third chapter.
- Villain Protagonist - Sort of. Most of Gendo's plans revolves around undoing his own schemes in the original series.
- Villains Out Shopping - Gendo and Fuyutsuki go to a strip club. And it's hilarious!
- "Well Done, Son" Guy - Deconstructed at both ends.
- Who Wants To Live For Ever - Original Asuka. She's literally lived to the end of the universe.