is an ongoing My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic (post-Equestria Girls
, to be specific) written by TheAnnotatXperiment
member Bauglir100, who also wrote the Silmarillion
fanfiction The Servants Of Ungoliant
In the human world, Thirty nights after being defeated by Twilight Sparkle and the human counterparts of the rest of the Mane Six, the reformed
Sunset Shimmer discovers that not only is she being hunted by the human world's equivalent of the Changeling Empire, depicted here a powerful Neutral Evil
terrorist organization known as the Chrysalis Syndicate
, but Craw, an exchange student that she befriended shortly after the events of the movie, is one of its members.
After an extremely violent encounter with Ghost
, another member of the Syndicate, Sunset finds herself prematurely returned to Equestria by escaping through the hidden portal, despite the thirty-moon cycle being incomplete. Upon returning to Equestria, Sunset Shimmer is arrested by the Crystal Empire's guards, and brought back to Canterlot for the crimes she committed before and during the events of the movie.
While there, she makes amends with Princess Celestia, and finds herself becoming the new student of Princess Luna. Now, Sunset Shimmer finds herself embarking on a mission that would hopefully allow her to redeem herself in the eyes of the rest of Equestria, and learn more about the values of friendship.
Meanwhile in the human world, the Chrysalis Syndicate is searching for Sunset Shimmer, and actively begins scouring the entire town (in vain
) for her location.
The story can be read in its entirety here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/131253/sunset-eclipsed
Sunset Eclipsed contains examples of:
- Berserk Button
- Sunset Shimmer does not like it when someone decides to insult her brother.
- Likewise, Radiant Dawn is willing to get extremely violent when his sister's life is endangered.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Lord Umbriel on the Equestria side of the portal. His human counterpart, Captain Umbriel, on the human side.
- Big Brother Instinct: Radiant Dawn is adamant in his loyalty to Sunset Shimmer, and willing to protect and care for her no matter what.
Sunset Shimmer: "They're not coming back! My own family abandoned me!"
Radiant Dawn: "Hey, I didn't abandon you. You know why? Because I'm your brother. And it's my job to keep my little sister safe from harm. That's what brothers do. C'mon, little sister. You'll be fine. I promise. I'll always be there for you!"
Sunset Shimmer: "Always?"
Radiant Dawn: "Always."
- Bigger Bad: Queen Chrysalis and Supreme Commander Chrysalis are clearly the ones in charge, but Umbriel is the Big Bad and not her.
- Brother-Sister Team: Sunset Shimmer and her older brother, Radiant Dawn. Also, Queen Chrysalis and Lord Umbriel/Prince Embryo.
- Cool Old Guy: Captain Star Shield.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: How King Sombra's human counterpart is depicted in this story.
- Darker and Edgier: Is considerably darker in tone than most of the show, and even the movie.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sunset Shimmer and Trixie for the heroes, and Lord Umbriel and General Synthe for the villains.
- Don't Split Us Up: Happens with Radiant Dawn and Sunset Shimmer, when Princess Celestia banishes the former from Canterlot. This contributes to Sunset's Start of Darkness.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Chrysalis and Umbriel clearly love each other dearly, the former even visiting him when he gets captured by Luna.
- Evil Albino: Corporal Ghost (not THAT one!) of the Chrysalis Syndicate. Also, his Equestria counterpart is a white Changeling.
- Expy: The Chrysalis Syndicate, for Cobra.
- Faceless Goons: Reflecting the hordes of nearly identical Changeling drones, their human counterparts in the Chrysalis Syndicate all wear full-face helmets that conceal their faces behind One-Way Visors. Played with later on, when the Syndicate operatives upgrade to SombraTech ballistic armor, which is considerably more customizable in appearance, thanks to its "unit personality" system.
- Fantastic Racist: Corporal Ghost, a human, takes every opportunity to berate Sunset Shimmer for actually being a pony from Equestria. Subverted with Sergeant Craw, who only acts as he did because he had Gone Mad From The Revelation due to learning about Sunset Shimmer being a humanized pony from a second-hand source. He does show remorse for his behavior later on.
- Fiery Redhead: Radiant Dawn, especially in his adolescence. Sunset Shimmer herself shows shades of this, too, especially when confronted by the story's villains.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Lord Umbriel's backstory. Originally, he was a physically weak, scrawny runt of a Changeling prince named Embryo. After a major power-up courtesy of King Sombra, he became larger and physically stronger.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Radiant/Red Dawn used to be one for Sunset Shimmer. However, he lightened up somewhat after realizing his overprotective behavior was only causing more trouble than it was preventing.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: A few moments.
- Promotion to Parent: Radiant Dawn was forced to raise Sunset Shimmer as her guardian after their parents mysterious vanished during a Changeling attack.