Fan Fic: Sunset Eclipsed
Sunset Eclipsed is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfiction (post-Equestria Girls, to be specific) written by TheAnnotatXperiment member Bauglir100, who also wrote the Silmarillion fanfiction The Servants Of Ungoliant. Writing on it began in September of 2013, and ended on August of the following year.In the human world, Thirty nights after being defeated by Twilight Sparkle and the human counterparts of the rest of the Mane Six, the reformed Sunset Shimmer discovers that not only is she being hunted by the human world's equivalent of the Changeling Empire, depicted here a powerful Neutral Evil terrorist organization known as the Chrysalis Syndicate, but Craw, an exchange student that she befriended shortly after the events of the movie, is one of its members.After an extremely violent encounter with Ghost, another member of the Syndicate, Sunset finds herself prematurely returned to Equestria by escaping through the hidden portal, despite the thirty-moon cycle being incomplete. Upon returning to Equestria, Sunset Shimmer is arrested by the Crystal Empire's guards, and brought back to Canterlot for the crimes she committed before and during the events of the movie.While there, she makes amends with Princess Celestia, and finds herself becoming the new student of Princess Luna. Now, Sunset Shimmer finds herself embarking on a mission that would hopefully allow her to redeem herself in the eyes of the rest of Equestria, and learn more about the values of friendship.Meanwhile in the human world, the Chrysalis Syndicate is searching for Sunset Shimmer, and actively begins scouring the entire town (in vain) for her location.The story can be read in its entirety here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/131253/sunset-eclipsedA sequel, Sunset Rekindled, was published in August, just a few weeks after the original story ended. It can be read here: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/176690/sunset-rekindled
Sunset Eclipsed contains examples of:
- Berserk Button
- Sunset Shimmer does not like it when someone decides to insult her brother.
- Likewise, Radiant Dawn is willing to get extremely violent when his sister's life is endangered.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Lord Umbriel on the Equestria side of the portal. His human counterpart, Captain Umbriel, on the human side. Later, King Craw and King Nelphyn.
- Big Brother Instinct: Radiant Dawn is adamant in his loyalty to Sunset Shimmer, and willing to protect and care for her no matter what.Sunset Shimmer: "They're not coming back! My own family abandoned me!"
Radiant Dawn: "Hey, I didn't abandon you. You know why? Because I'm your brother. And it's my job to keep my little sister safe from harm. That's what brothers do. C'mon, little sister. You'll be fine. I promise. I'll always be there for you!"
Sunset Shimmer: "Always?"
Radiant Dawn: "Always."
- Bigger Bad: Queen Chrysalis and Supreme Commander Chrysalis are clearly the ones in charge, but Umbriel is the Big Bad and not her.
- Later on a bigger bad then her is introduced: Saegmuntitus, the Ram King.
- Big Fancy House: Daystar Manor.
- Brother-Sister Team: Sunset Shimmer and her older brother, Radiant Dawn. Also, Queen Chrysalis and Lord Umbriel/Prince Embryo.
- The Cameo:
- Princess Pupa, or rather her human counterpart, makes a brief appearance as Supreme Commander Chrysalis' daughter, along with Cerci, her nanny from that same story. In the same scene, Human!Chrysalis gives her daughter a Fluffle Puff toy as an early birthday present.
- Pressure Point's human counterpart mentions Human!Trixie's parents, Artemis and Selena in passing to Sergeant Craw, and the former's Equestria counterpart even briefly appears in the sequel as a stage performer at the Summerset Casino.
- Discord gets a brief cameo in chapter 34. He's says he's there to make sure Umbirel doesn't try anything... To bad he fails at doing so.
- Cool Old Guy: Captain Star Shield.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: How King Sombra's human counterpart is depicted in this story.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Captain Umbriel briefly mentions in passing to Vice Principal Luna that he has two children of his own, whose Equestria counterparts are introduced in the sequel.
- Darker and Edgier: Is considerably darker in tone than most of the show, and even the movie.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sunset Shimmer and Trixie for the heroes, and Lord Umbriel and General Synthe for the villains.
- Don't Split Us Up: Happens with Radiant Dawn and Sunset Shimmer, when Princess Celestia banishes the former from Canterlot. This contributes to Sunset's Start of Darkness.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Chrysalis and Umbriel clearly love each other dearly, the former even visiting him when he gets captured by Luna.
- Evil Albino: Corporal Ghost (not THAT one!) of the Chrysalis Syndicate. Also, his Equestria counterpart is a white Changeling.
- Eviler Than Thou: King Nelphyn, who arrives in the middle of the climax and Worfs the hell out of the Chrysalis Syndicate after obtaining the Alicorn Amulet.
- Expy: The Chrysalis Syndicate, for Cobra.
- Faceless Goons: Reflecting the hordes of nearly identical Changeling drones, their human counterparts in the Chrysalis Syndicate all wear full-face helmets that conceal their faces behind One-Way Visors. Played with later on, when the Syndicate operatives upgrade to SombraTech ballistic armor, which is considerably more customizable in appearance, thanks to its "unit personality" system.
- Fantastic Racist: Corporal Ghost, a human, takes every opportunity to berate Sunset Shimmer for actually being a pony from Equestria. Subverted with Sergeant Craw, who only acts as he did because he had Gone Mad From The Revelation due to learning about Sunset Shimmer being a humanized pony from a second-hand source. He does show remorse for his behavior later on.
- Fiery Redhead: Radiant Dawn, especially in his adolescence. Sunset Shimmer herself shows shades of this, too, especially when confronted by the story's villains. Also their mother, Scarlet Blaze, on occassion.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Lord Umbriel's backstory. Originally, he was a physically weak, scrawny runt of a Changeling prince named Embryo. After a major power-up courtesy of King Sombra, he became larger and physically stronger.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Sunset Shimmer and Radiant Dawn's parents, the blond Golden Sun and redheaded Scarlet Blaze. Also, Radiant Dawn and Lightning Dust.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Umbriel. He has this big plan involving Sunset and the Alicorn Amulet, but we never get to see what it is... And from the looks of things, we never will.
- Karma Houdini: Sombra's human counterpart. While it's implied that Chrysalis and Umbriel might have been captured by the police, he's free to continue aiding them.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Radiant/Red Dawn used to be one for Sunset Shimmer. However, he lightened up somewhat after realizing his overprotective behavior was only causing more trouble than it was preventing.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: A few moments.
- Princess Celestia expelling Radiant Dawn from her academy and then sending him away from Canterlot contributed to Sunset Shimmer's falling out with her to begin with.
- Twilight Sparkle leaving Sunset Shimmer behind in the human world made it possible for the Chrysalis Syndicate to find her and the portal to Equestria.
- Promotion to Parent: Radiant Dawn was forced to raise Sunset Shimmer as her guardian after their parents mysterious vanished during a Changeling attack.
- Redhead In Green: Scarlet Blaze.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead: Sunset Shimmer and her mother, Scarlet Blaze.
- Those Two Bad Guys: Sigma and Canopy, both in Equestria and the human world.
- Those Two Guys: Frosty and Nose Nip.
- Villainous Crush: Captain Umbriel appears to have one for Vice Principal Luna, and one is implied between their Equestria counterparts. However, the latter case may simply be a Worthy Opponent scenario. Also, King Craw has one for Sunset Shimmer, especially in the sequel.
Sunset Rekindled contains examples of:
- Affably Evil: Lionel Summerset is this.
- Ambiguously Jewish: Implied with Scarlet Blaze and Frosty.
- Beard of Evil: Lionel Summerset has one.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Mr. Blue/Golden Sun, Mr. Red/Maximum Velocity, and Mr. Yellow/Thunder Lee are revealed to be this.
- Cool Airship: The Summerstar.
- Daddy's Little Villains: The sequel introduces us to Umbriel's kids, Princess Dana and Prince Naurius.
- False Friend: Lionel Summerset to Golden Sun and Daring Do.
- Innocent Innuendo: When Sunset Shimmer and Felix Summerset approach the bedroom door of Sunset's parents to try and get them to help them save Radiant Dawn and Lightning Dust, they hear a few loud noises (including raised voices, bedsprings rustling, and objects being knocked over) from the room that make it seem as though Golden Sun and Scarlet Blaze were "getting busy", and decide to leave them be. It turns out in a later chapter that Scarlet was actually making her husband go through a stressful exercise routine.
- Knight of Cerebus: Royal Commander Firewing.
- Knight Templar: The appropriately-named Neo-Templars of Equestria.
- Lighter and Softer: In some cases, this story is much lighter in tone than Eclipsed, but in other cases, not so much.
- One-Winged Angel: King Nelphyn's armored form, and especially when Royal Commander Firewing transforms into Bloodwing. In the latter case, this is also a case of Turning Red.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: Summerset's main henchponies (Mr. Blue, Mr. Red, and Mr. Yellow).
- Renegade Splinter Faction: The Neo-Templars to not only the Canterlot Royal Guard, but to Princess Celestia's entire government.