Fan Fic: Sinful Behaviors
is a dark ChalkZone
fanfic written by DarkHououmon
. The story can be read here
It is Snap's birthday and the anniversary of when Rudy first discovered ChalkZone. He and Penny go to a mansion Snap is using for a party. Not long afterward, Rudy is confronted by a reporter named Ms. Saffron. Things get even weirder when someone named Mr. Cosmo appears to have taken interest in him.
After an encounter with a mysterious beast and Skrawl, Rudy finds Snap missing and himself connected to Skrawl. As he and Penny get closer to discovering where their friend is and what is going on, they uncover a sinister plot and discover just how cruel Mr. Cosmo can be. Time is running out and they are pushed harder than ever before to not only save ChalkZone and friends, but themselves as well.
Is now complete and has a complete sequel called Play the Game
and a developing triquel called Catch a Brief Reflection
Tropes used in the story:
- Affably Evil - Mr. Cosmo. He is generally polite and well-mannered throughout much of the story. Although it can cross into Faux Affably Evil.
- Ambition Is Evil - The entire scheme Mr. Cosmo has planned revolves around enslaving zoners for the 'betterment of mankind'. He wants to use them for labor and for weaponry. He sees them as expendable since new ones can always be drawn. Due to this combined with zoners' long lives provided they remain healthy and don't get hurt leads makes Mr. Cosmo believe they would be ideal to replace human workers.
- And I Must Scream - In one part of the story, Snap is forced to fight Rudy and Penny. He is unable to stop himself from throwing punches. While he is capable of speech, he is still forced to watch himself hurt his friends. None of the other controlled zoners suffer from this fate. Mr. Cosmo specifically engineered his mind control device to make Snap aware of what he was doing, and making him helpless to stop it.
- Ax-Crazy - Rudy while under the control of the black chalk. Rudy is usually a non-violent person, but shortly after the black chalk starts corrupting him, he violently kills three zoners and then tries to murder Penny.
- Back Story - Some of the characters in the story get this.
- Mr. Cosmo had once been like Rudy until he was corrupted by the black chalk and started to corrupt other artists and tried to take over ChalkZone, resulting in the deaths of many and destruction of much of ChalkZone. He is also the one who created the red chalk.
- Biclops had been created by Mr. Cosmo and, due to the man's actions, became distrustful of creators, which was why he was nasty to Rudy when they first met.
- Mr. Wilter turns out to be the artist that defeated Mr. Cosmo. He had been a little resentful over the years because he was banished from ChalkZone, but there was a good reason behind it. ChalkZone couldn't afford another 'Cosmo incident'.
- Bad Dreams - Not long after Snap's kidnapping, Rudy suffers from a nightmare where Snap is killed by Draow. The dream serves as a foreboding warning to Rudy, and the readers, what Snap's ultimate fate could turn out to be.
- Berserk Button - After seeing what Mr. Cosmo had done to Ms. Saffron and why, Snap loses control of himself and, in a fit of rage, attacks the man. He causes them both to fall off the cliff, which in turn causes Mr. Cosmo to lose his left eye.
- Snap's surprise attack and the loss of his left eye caused Cosmo himself to crack and kick Snap in the head in rage. He also suffers another berserk moment when he realizes he is about to lose the fight.
- Rudy snaps when he is finally unable to take all of Cosmo's lying and manipulations anymore, and he practically slams the man against the wall and gives him a verbal beatdown. The suddenness of this actually terrifies Mr. Cosmo, even if he manages to hide it well moments later.
- Big Bad - Mr. Cosmo.
- Succeeded by Jenny in "Catch a Brief Reflection.
- Big Damn Heroes - Mr. Wilter and Tsere, who, twice, save the others from Draow in the nick of time.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Jenny. Believed to be a harmless if eccentric school nurse; really Mr. Cosmo's partner and possible Love Interest who's as bad if not worse as he was.
- Bittersweet Ending - Although Mr. Cosmo is defeated for good, having been crushed to death by rocks, Rudy and his friends are still regretful that Ms. Saffron had been killed. The story ends with them visiting her grave, thanking her for all she's done for them and showing remorse that she isn't able to be with them to celebrate Mr. Cosmo's defeat.
- Break the Cutie - Mr. Cosmo does this to both Rudy and Snap. With Snap, he tortures the poor guy both physically and mentally until he is a hollow shell of his former self. He does this to hurt Rudy where it hurts the most so he could more easily manipulate the boy into joining him. This actually does work, and if it had not been for Mr. Wilter's rescue, Mr. Cosmo would have won.
- He manages to break Snap in one scene. He straps Snap down, cuts his head open, and drops real world water on his head to dissolve it, and then forces a nail into the open wound. It's just as horrible as it sounds.
- Chained Heat - Mr. Cosmo creates a connection between Rudy and Skrawl. What happens to one happens to the other. This forces Rudy and Skrawl to work together. It is later revealed the connection will get much worse, to the point where even a minor injury will be fatal to both. The only way to break it is with the black chalk.
- Character Death - Ms. Saffron and Mr. Cosmo.
- Character Development - Ms. Saffron starts off as a reporter who trusts Mr. Cosmo and is grateful to him for his help in the past. She is distrustful of ChalkZone and zoners in general and isn't sure what to make of them. When she finds out the truth, she feels guilty for having been involved with Mr. Cosmo and sets off to set things right. She plays a huge part in Rudy and his friends making it through in the end, even if it does end up costing her her own life.
- Skrawl has an epiphany in the story when he is locked up, both with Rudy and by himself. He starts to believe that he took things too far and that maybe Rudy isn't as bad as he thinks he is. He starts becoming more helpful and, by the end, starts to care, to some degree, for Rudy and his friends.
- The Chessmaster - Mr. Cosmo. Up until the final confrontation, almost everything goes exactly the way he had planned. And even when they didn't, he was able to come up with backup plans on the fly. If something doesn't go the way he wanted, he easily recoordinates his plans to accommodate.
- Cliff Hanger - Several of the story's chapters end with these.
- Corrupt the Cutie - This is what Mr. Cosmo has been trying to do to Rudy throughout the story.
- The Corruption - Rudy experiences this when he grabs the black chalk. The experience is icy cold and sharp, as every bit as unpleasant as its side effect, which is permanent corruption if in use for too long. During the corruption, Rudy hears eerie voices from everywhere who tempt him to use the black chalk in disturbing ways. While Rudy is at first able to resist, his will rapidly weakens and the black chalk takes him over. Thankfully, Skrawl knocks the chalk out of his hand before it was too late.
- Unfortunately the black chalk is still in Rudy in "Catch a Brief Reflection"...and it's getting stronger...
- Dangerously Genre Savvy - Mr. Cosmo has moments where he clearly shows his savviness.
- Mr. Cosmo is well aware of what magic chalk can do, and knows that confronting Rudy in ChalkZone would make things more difficult for him. So he orchestrates his plans so that Rudy would end up confronting him in the real world...where he has no powers.
- Before he begins torturing Snap, Mr. Cosmo keeps the zoner locked up in an isolated room. He is aware of his two dimensional powers, and thus puts spikes under the door so that, if Snap did try to squeeze underneath it, he would be ripped to shreds. Luckily, Snap learned his lesson and only his hand got cut up.
- Dark and Troubled Past - As a child, Mr. Cosmo almost caused the destruction of large portions of ChalkZone as well as a huge loss of life. Corrupting most of the other artists and defeating the ones that weren't corrupted helped increase his reign of terror. It's not until Mr. Wilter stops him that things start to look up for ChalkZone. But the damage was already done and, until Rudy shows up years later, no creator was ever allowed back into ChalkZone.
- Dark Fic - This story contains a good number of disturbing and dark imagery.
- Dark Is Evil - The black chalk. A dangerous type of chalk that warps the mind of anyone, no matter how kind, into sociopathic monsters.
- Determinator - Rudy.
- The Dragon - Draow.
- Earn Your Happy Ending - After all that happens to them in the story, Rudy, Penny, and Snap definitely earned the happy ending they get.
- Electric Torture - The mind control device forced into Snap's head sends shockwaves of electricity through his body whenever it is in use. He is in agony every time Mr. Cosmo controls him. The damage from the electricity is so bad that he winds up with seizures, sensory blackouts, and loses feeling and movement in his legs.
- Even Evil Has Standards - Skrawl is disturbed by the harsh treatment inflicted upon Snap.
- Evil Counterpart - Mr. Cosmo is this to Rudy. Mr. Cosmo fights for ChalkZone's enslavement. Rudy fights for ChalkZone's freedom.
- Evil Sounds Deep - Draow.
- Eye Scream - During the final confrontation, when Mr. Cosmo pisses Snap off, the zoner attacks him, causing the two to fall off the edge of the small cliff. The resulting fall causes Mr. Cosmo to cut himself on his own knife, causing him to lose sight in his left eye.
- Fallen Hero - Mr. Cosmo had once been a lot like Rudy until he encountered the black chalk.
- Family-Unfriendly Death - Ms. Saffron dies by having her throat sliced open. Mr. Cosmo perishes via being crushed to death under huge pieces of stalactites. And it was quite messy.
- Foreshadowing - The vinegar from the first chapter comes back later on in a terrifying way. It is used by Mr. Cosmo to force Rudy into joining him. Vinegar dissolves chalk much slower, thus it is a very slow and painful death for them to experience. To emphasize his point, Mr. Cosmo burns Snap's feet with the stuff.
- From Bad to Worse - Snap's condition in the story gets worse and worse as the story goes on. He gets attacked by Draow, has his hand cut open, had a mind control device put into his head, controlled by Mr. Cosmo, tortured, suffers from a seizure and sensory blanks, and by the end, he was on his deathbed with a dangerously high fever and infection. The rate his physical condition deteriorates is alarming.
- This describes the whole story to a T, actually. Quite often, just when Rudy and the others thought things couldn't get any worse, Mr. Cosmo would deliver a nasty surprise to them.
- Grew a Spine - This applies to both Rudy and Snap. Both of them had been afraid of Mr. Cosmo throughout the story. But as the story reaches its end, both get enough of the crap he pulls and fight back. Although it ends badly for Snap.
- Ms. Saffron counts, too. When she realizes just how horrible Mr. Cosmo is, she takes a stand to help Rudy and his friends. In her final scene, she stands up to Mr. Cosmo in defense of Snap.
- Heel-Face Turn - Ms. Saffron starts off as one of the antagonists. She helps Mr. Cosmo with his plans. However, she was never really that bad to begin with. After befriending Snap, she has second thoughts on working for Mr. Cosmo. When he locks her up, she changes sides and starts actively helping Rudy and his friends, managing to get them out of sticky situations.
- Surprisingly, Skrawl undergoes this during the course of the story. Being alone, both Rudy and just by himsef, had allowed Skrawl to rethink the way he's been acting over the years and comes to the conclusion that maybe he has been treating Rudy unfairly. He becomes an ally through the rest of the story, and remains more or less a good guy by the time the sequel rolls around.
- The Hero - Rudy.
- Heroic BSOD - Rudy suffers this after he is released from the black chalk's grasp and finds that he murdered three zoners and almost killed Penny.
- Hidden Depths - Draow started off looking like nothing more than a loyal pet for Mr. Cosmo. Later, it's revealed that he is quite intelligent and is capable of speech. He just chose not to speak in order to trick his enemies into thinking he was stupid.
- History Repeats - Mr. Cosmo's original kindhearted nature was destroyed by the black chalk. Many years later, Rudy suffers from the same fate. He would have ended up like a more violent version of Mr. Cosmo had it not been for Skrawl managing to get the black chalk out of his hands.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him - No matter how much Rudy desmises Mr. Cosmo, he adamantly refuses to kill him because he does not want to stoop down to his level. He is determined not to be anything like Mr. Cosmo.
- Imminent Danger Clue - When Rudy and his parents go to meet with Mr. Cosmo, Rudy notices red lighting which reminds him of his bad dreams. Moments later, his parents are dropped through a hole in the ground and he finds himself trapped in the room with Mr. Cosmo, who reveals some of his intentions.
- Insult Backfire - Throwing insults does not work on Mr. Cosmo. He just shrugs them off.
- It's All My Fault - Rudy has a few moments in the story where he blames himself for what happened. For example, when Ms. Saffron turns out to be dead, he believes he should have gotten to her faster and warned her about what Mr. Cosmo was going to do.
- I Will Punish Your Friend for Your Failure - This happens twice. The first time, Cosmo allowed Snap awareness and speech while being controlled in hopes of coercing Rudy to be more receptive to his proposition. After that failed, he ups the stakes by threatening to kill Snap slowly and painfully using vinegar if he didn't join him.
- Kick the Dog - After Snap accidentally causes him to lose an eye, Mr. Cosmo kicks him in the head. Hard. And he does this for no other reason other than to be cruel, and to murder him in cold blood.
- Kids Are Cruel - Even as a child, Mr. Cosmo was a monster, causing the deaths of several zoners as well as spreading great destruction across the chalk world.
- Killing Intent - When Snap meets Mr. Cosmo for the first time, he is unaware of what the man wants with him. That doesn't prevent him from feeling very unsafe around him, however. His fears are quickly confirmed when Mr. Cosmo suddenly hurts him.
- Kill It with Water - Mr. Cosmo threatens to murder Snap via slow dissolve in vinegar if Rudy does not comply.
- Knuckle Cracking - Mr. Wilter does this just before he prepares the final beatdown on Mr. Cosmo. He is interrupted by the announcement of systems being back online, forcing him to leave the fight to go help Rudy.
- Lack of Empathy - Mr. Cosmo. On oh so many levels.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia - In order to stop Mr. Cosmo's reign of terror from when he was a child, he was given amnesia and kicked out of ChalkZone. Unfortunately, thanks to a photograph of Snap and the black chalk, Mr. Cosmo regained his memories.
- Light Is Not Good - Draow is a vicious wolf-like beast with clawed wings that will not hesitate to tear apart his victims. He's also covered in mostly very light brown fur.
- Living Legend - Mr. Wilter. He is the one who saved ChalkZone many years ago, and was the only artist who could stand up to Mr. Cosmo. Even though it has been years since he fought, he holds up well against Mr. Cosmo in a fight.
- Loophole Abuse - Mr. Cosmo tells Rudy that he has until the sand in the hourglass hits the bottom to decide on Snap's fate. When Rudy attempts to escape and he shatters the hourglass, Mr. Cosmo decides to take him up then. When Rudy brings up that it wasn't fair, Mr. Cosmo is quick to point out that all the sand is indeed on the bottom when the hourglass broke.
- Manipulative Bastard - Mr. Cosmo knows exactly how to get what he wants. And he does so by exploiting the emotions and weaknesses of his opponents. There is no level he won't stoop to if it means achieving the response and action he wants. More than once, he is able to get what he wants without using force, instead using simple talk and action to provoke what he is looking for. He is not afraid of using force if he has to.
- Mood Whiplash - In the beginning of the story, Rudy and Penny have a great time at Snap's huge birthday bash. Then, when they return back to the real world, they find Ms. Saffron waiting for Rudy in the kitchen, who wishes to ask Rudy a few questions. Her appearance is so sudden that it destroys the happiness the two felt and fills them both with worry. A bit concern on their minds is whether or not Ms. Saffron is going to question them on ChalkZone's existence.
- Must Let Them Get Away - When Rudy and Skrawl escape the facility near the beginning of the story, Mr. Cosmo makes sure they get out. It was all part of the plan, as magic chalk dust is still magic chalk dust, and though Rudy erased the portal, Mr. Cosmo could now create a portal with this dust. This allowed him to create a dim portal and kidnap zoners undetected.
- My God, What Have I Done? - Rudy's reaction when he first comes out of being possessed by the black chalk.
- Ms. Saffron goes through this when she realizes that she helped Mr. Cosmo enslave sentient, innocent people, even if they are made of chalk.
- Neck Snap - Just out of spite, Mr. Cosmo does this to Ms. Saffron after she was already dead.
- Never My Fault - Mr. Cosmo has a sadistic joy of pushing blame onto others. If called out on some crap he pulled, he would retort with a comeback of his own. He is absolutely uncaring of who he blames, even going as far as blame a badly injured Snap on Ms. Saffron's death.
- Mr. Cosmo: Ally? Well she was..until she turned her back on me...And this blue nuisance is the reason she had to go...If it weren't for him...she’d be alive..Hear that, you useless piece of chalk dust? It’s your fault she’s dead...”
- No Name Given - Mr. Cosmo's and Ms. Saffron's first names are never revealed.
- Oh Crap - Despite being fearless throughout most of the story, there are times when Mr. Cosmo realizes he made a mistake.
- The best example of this is when he angers Rudy to the point where the boy charges at him and pins him against the wall, and later throws him on the floor, and gives him such a lecture that he is frozen in terror.
- Penny feels this way when she finds out that she has been taken to Draow's room to be killed because Mr. Cosmo does not want her to tell the authorities on what is happening.
- Sophie has this reaction in "Catch a Brief Reflection" when Jenny pulls out a spray bottle with real world water in it after she and Snap have been kidnapped.
- The Quiet One - Throughout most of the story, Draow does not speak a word. When he does, it comes as a complete surprise, even to Mr. Wilter, who, despite having met Draow years ago, never heard him say anything.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech - Rudy does this to Mr. Cosmo not once, but twice during the story's final chapters. The first one was provoked after Rudy witnesses two horrific actions done by Mr. Cosmo; finding out that he had murdered Ms. Saffron and watching him kick Snap in the head. And the second one is delivered after Mr. Cosmo makes one final attempt to trick Rudy into guilt.
- Rudy: You know..I used to be afraid of you... I used to fear what you would do next. You had caused me and my friends so much grief in the short time I have known you. You captured my best friend and tortured him, and why? For your own amusement...and to break me... You killed your own co-worker because she started to have a heart. And you know what? She was a stronger person than you will ever be... Because she at least tried to fix her mistakes..but you...I don’t know why I was so afraid of you before. Because you are the one who is weak. You are a coward. You are so afraid of being wrong...that you resort to killing and torturing to force others into agreeing with you. You are not worthy of any respect that other people have given you. If they found out what you have done...what you are...they will turn their back on you. Not that you’d care, right? All that matters is knowledge and power right...? You have been constantly getting away with doing horrific, inhuman things, Cosmo... You are a monster...a monster that has gotten away with too much... And it all ends here. I will not run from you. I will not hide from you. I am right here. So you want to convince me to join you...? Try to make me... Fight me...and we will see who is right...
- Right for the Wrong Reasons - Early on, before he finds out what's going on, Rudy finds that Mr. Cosmo locked him up in a classroom. He jumps to the correct conclusion that it has to do with ChalkZone. However, his reasoning he uses to get to that conclusion are false. He believes Mr. Cosmo is going to get some people to help with interrogating him, so Rudy escapes into ChalkZone. However, it turns out escaping into ChalkZone is exactly what Mr. Cosmo wanted.
- Rule of Seven - The horrific events of the story takes place almost exactly seven years after Rudy created Snap and first discovered ChalkZone.
- Sacrificial Lion - Ms. Saffron.
- Sadist - Mr. Cosmo.
- Sadistic Choice - Mr. Cosmo forces Rudy to choose between allowing the black chalk to corrupt him or watching his friend Snap die a slow and painful death via vinegar. Out of desperation, Rudy chooses corruption, but the plan is never put forward as Mr. Wilter arrives just in time to save him and Snap for the time being.
- Save the Villain - Rudy rescues Skrawl when he is captured the first time by Mr. Cosmo and Ms. Saffron.
- Shut Up, Hannibal! - Rudy gives one to Mr. Cosmo hard.
- Rudy: Shut up! How stupid do you think I am, Mr. Cosmo?! All your lies...why should I believe anything you say?! You're wrong about everything you've said! This isn't my fault! It isn't Snap's fault! And while I'm at it, it's not Ms. Saffron's fault! It's all you! It's always been you! You are the one who decided to invade ChalkZone and kidnap zoners! You are the one who put me and others through so much pain! You are the one who killed Ms. Saffron for no good reason, and you are the one who tortured my best friend! And now he is laying on his deathbed! And it is all...because...of you! You are the only one at fault here! So don't you ever...ever trash talk my friends again!
- Softspoken Sadist - Up until the final chapters, Mr. Cosmo rarely raises his voice. Instead he keeps a calm, though sinister tone, even when someone practically bites his face off. This unusually calm attitude serves to unnerve those he speaks to.
- Stand Your Ground - After witnessing enough of Mr. Cosmo's cruelty, Rudy is determined to stop him once and for all. Even when he is stabbed multiple times, Rudy manages to hold his ground against him and fight back.
- Stepford Smiler - Although Mr. Cosmo smiles most of the time, it is all an act. Once that facade melts down, the true psychopath the smile was hiding is exposed.
- These Hands Have Killed - Rudy is utterly horrified when he finds out that, while under the black chalk's control, he had taken the life of three zoners.
- They Died Because of You - When Mr. Cosmo reveals that Ms. Saffron is dead, he plays the blame game on Snap. He blatantly tells Snap that it was his fault that Ms. Saffron had died.
- While she hasn't said it to his face yet, Jenny thinks that Rudy is responsible for Mr. Cosmo's death when she finds out about it in "Catch a Brief Reflection".
- Took a Level in Badass - Mr. Wilter, big time. The story transforms him from a bitter teacher into a warrior able to not only best Mr. Cosmo in a fight, but strike fear into his heart. It's worth noting that, until Mr. Wilter's fight with him, Mr. Cosmo had been untouchable and gotten away with a lot of horrible deeds.
- Rudy counts as well. In the climax, he is slashed on the back and suffers from stab wounds on his left hand, side, and stomach and is in absolute agony. Despite this, he still manages to put up a good fight against Mr. Cosmo.
- Took a Level in Kindness - After a talk with Rudy, Skrawl starts to think that he really had taken things too far. From then on, he starts becoming nicer and is more willing to cooperate with Rudy.
- Twenty Minutes into the Future - The story takes place five years after the show.
- Uncertain Doom - At the end of a chapter, something happens to Snap that causes him to scream. His exact fate is not revealed until six chapters later.
- The Villain Knows Where You Live - To kickstart his plans, Mr. Cosmo sends Ms. Saffron to speak to Rudy...at his house.
- Up to Eleven in "Catch a Brief Reflection". Jenny, the main villain, is the school nurse.
- Villainous Breakdown - Near the end of the story, Mr. Cosmo comes to the realization that his plans are falling apart. He soon loses his calm facade he had been putting up during the course of the story and his reactions become more volatile. He finally explodes in the second to the last chapter, in which, in response to Rudy telling him to surrender, he stabs the boy in the stomach and then tries to kill Biclops. His breakdown ultimately leads to his demise when he is so desperate to kill Rudy, he fails to take precautions for his own life, and dies by his own death trap.
- We Can Rule Together - Mr. Cosmo is intent on getting Rudy to join him. He sees potential in the boy and wants to take him on as an apprentice.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness - After Ms. Saffron's betrayal, Mr. Cosmo kills her off. He has some regret in doing so, but the only reason is because he is disappointed she couldn't have been more useful to him.
- Would Hurt a Child - Mr. Cosmo is willing to kill Penny to make sure she doesn't tell anyone what happened, and later on, when he decides to off Rudy, he manages to stab him three times and slice open his back. Both Rudy and Penny are only 15 years old in the story.
- It's worse involving Snap. Not only does he have the body shape and size of an 8 year old, but, chronologically, he's even younger, only 7. Despite this, Mr. Cosmo has no problem with torturing him within an inch of his life.
- This continues in "Catch a Brief Reflection" when Jenny kidnaps Sophie and Snap and tortures the latter with water to make the former tell her where she got the magic chalk.