Fan Fic / Shinobi Of The High Seas
Shinobi of the High Seas by Kenchi 618
is a crossover fanfic
and One Piece
that takes a rather cliche and overdone idea and takes it in a completely different direction than expected, resulting in something both original and highly awesome.
The story's premise is that a semi-immortal Naruto, many many
years after ending the Fourth Shinobi War and bringing peace to the Elemental Nations, decides that there is no longer any place for him there and sets out on a small merchant's ship to explore the world. After running into and capturing a pirate crew, he sails to a small town to collect the bounties; he finds the town empty save for a lone dog in front of a pet shop and a strange ship similar to a carousel...
While most crossovers simply just have Naruto join Luffy's crew from some point in the original manga's storyline—in this case, the Buggy arc—the author of this fic tries something different. While Naruto does travel with Luffy at first (Luffy calls him his ships' resident hobo), he soon splits off and gets his own ship (which is orange, of course) and crew (which consists of main characters from certain arcs of One Piece) together to enter then Grand Line. While he does come across Luffy and Crew during some of the more major plot points (such as Alabasta), Naruto and his crew have their own adventures, running into many familiar faces from the One Piece-verse along the way.
It should be noted that, while Naruto is essentially a Gary Stu
in this fic, being both semi-immortal and much more powerful than the majority of characters in the fic, this is one of the very
few fanfics out there that actually does the concept right. Naruto does not simply jump in to every single fight and leave the others to just stand and watch, nor does he handle every enemy with no effort whatsoever.
The story is currently at the tail end of the two year timeskip and is 51 chapters in, and is easily one of the best crossover fics out there. It can be found here
For a similar fic by the same author, only using Naruto
and Street Fighter
, check out The Newest Challenger
This fanfic contains examples of:
- A God Am I: Naruto hates being refered to like this.
- The World Nobles have this mentality, like in canon, though it means nothing to Naruto. When Roswald starts shouting at him, Naruto casually replies "Get out of my face," and shoves him away.
- Achievements in Ignorance: The crew completely bypasses Reverse Mountain and shortens their trip slightly by moving the ship onto the Calm Belt simply because Naruto has no idea that the Calm Belt is supposed to be dangerous.
- Yosaku later informs them that because their ship was originally a Marine vessel, they're safe from being detected by Sea Kings underwater.
- Action Girl: Nojiko, Miss Valentine, and Vivi, due to Naruto's relentless training. And then Vivi is hit with the Distress Ball.
- Adapted Out: Naruto does not participate in the battle of Marineford. He does kill Admiral Akainu when the latter attempts to capture Jewelery Bonney, though.
- The Alcoholic: Many times Soren can be found idly drinking, or already drunk, more than any other character on the crew.
- Ever since Byron has joined, this has seemed to increase the frequency of his drinking due to the fact that Byron can apparently make his own liquor.
- Always Someone Better: Nojiko is a fairly skilled navigator but has nothing on Nami. Whereas Nojiko needs several maps to navigate the seas properly, Nami would only need one map at most. According to Nojiko, she'd often sail with just a compass to guide her.
- Armor-Piercing Question: "How old are you really?"
- Ascended Extra: Most of Naruto's crew, barring the occasional original character. And thanks to his Training from Hell, they are all much stronger than their canon counterparts.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Sengoku tries to prevent this, stating that the new Fleet Admiral shouldn't be determined by who can kill the criminal with the highest bounty.
- At Least I Admit It: One of Soren's problems with marines is their hypocrisy in committing heinous acts to stop pirates.
- Awesome, but Impractical: During the Alabasta arc, Johnny and Yosaku's strongest techniques leave them unable to use their legs and hands respectively.
- Awesome by Analysis: Both the CP9 and Aokiji figure out how to prevent Naruto from using Hiraishin. Aokiji even does it after a single use.
- Likewise, Soren learned Soru from seeing a marine use it and recreated Kami-e without having ever seen it. He's since started learning the rest of the Rokushiki
- Badass Boast: "I never cut twice"
- Badass Crew: And how!
- Badass Grandpa: One could argue that Naruto is this, given his age...
- Badass Longcoat: Naruto wears his Sage coat from Mt. Myoboku at the start of the story.
- Johnny gets one after the time skip
- Badass Teacher: Johnny and Yosaku feel this way about Naruto, becoming his first crew members because they want him to train them to be stronger.
- Berserk Button: Naruto finally finds someone who knows how to make ramen during the Water 7/Enies Lobby Arc. Only problem is...
- He also became very upset when he heard about Robin's backstory, especially when a Marine declared that both Robin and Naruto were monsters and demons, and should thus be killed. Given Naruto's past, that really struck a nerve.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Just because Miss Valentine is smiling does not mean she's happy.
- Vivi cows the entire crew after activating King's Disposition Haki.
- Big "NO!": Akainu screams this right before Naruto kills him.
- Blessed with Suck: Nojiko develops Observation Haki very early. Unfortunately, between her natural inclination towards it and constant use, it keeps getting stronger and she can't turn it off. Not only does she sense problems like Sea Kings over a mile away, but she gets immense migraines from viewing battles that are too fast for her mind to keep up. Although she still can't turn it off, she eventually learns to direct what she senses, namely the weather around the ship.
- Body-Count Competition: Naruto and Luffy have one while attacking Enies Lobby.
- Boring but Practical: Soren's solution for his acidic powers draining his bodily fluids is to simply keep a canteen full of lemon juice on him. And since lemon juice is a reasonably common cooking ingredient (and drink), he has no problems restocking.
- Bottomless Magazines: Nojiko's guns don't even need bullets to work.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Vivi pretends to be this (on Naruto's suggestion) so she can fight any marines trying to capture her.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Naruto tells Akainu that while their fight might be one of the most important fights of the Admiral's life, Naruto probably won't remember it in three weeks time.
- Call Back: After his original run-in and subsequent battle with the Foxhound Pirates, Soren is tied to the front of the ship in the water for five days and later joins the crew. Around thirty chapters later an opportunistic Perona tries to take over the ship while the captain is indisposed...
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Unlike Nami, Nojiko gets drunk rather easily. Naruto notes it as being a perfect sign they're not actually related.
- Cast from Hit Points: Soren's strongest acid is made from his blood.
- Catch Phrase: Naruto finds himself exclaiming "dattebyo!" multiple times over the course of his travels, despite the fact it's both been years since he's used it and that it seems to annoy him as well. I guess some things just become ingrained no matter how much time passes.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: All of the crew but Johnny and Yosaku especially. Neither have anything special about them but are still amount the fastest and strongest crew members respectively from sheer training.
- Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like: Bonney complains endlessly about being rescued from Akainu until Ms. Valentine threatens to send her back to the marines by shooting her out of a cannon. This is because she bears a grudge against Naruto for not being at the battle of Marineford, as she thinks his presence would have ensured Ace and Whitebeard's survival.
- Confusion Fu: Naruto's a big fan and believer in fighting this way.
- Cool Shades: Johnny.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Naruto and Isobu once fought Gold Rogers and his crew.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: All of Naruto's fights pre-Grand Line are this, most especially against the Arlong Pirates. Once in the Grand Line though, he doesn't have it as easy. Eventually he has to use the Hiraishin, Sage Mode, and the Rinnegan. Soon afterwards he went back to get Kurama as well.
- Soren gets owned while on Jaya in a one-on-one against Doflamingo.
- David vs. Goliath: While most of the Foxhounds face these sort of battles, Johnny and Yosaku face almost nothing but this. Johnny even lampshades this when told he doesn't stand a chance against Luffy on a rampage.
Johnny: "Heh, the thing about that is… I don't think I've ever really fought anyone tough that I was supposed to be stronger than to begin with."
- Dead Baby Comedy: Soren's sense of humor.
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: Soren overwhelms Marigold's haki by hitting the exact same spot a hundred times in quick succession.
- Death from Above: Taken Up to Eleven when Ms. Valentine combines haki with a fall of several thousand meters at her maximum weight. She uses it to kill a worm whose mouth was the size of a battleship and remarks upon the crater as being a "new personal best".
- Defeat Means Friendship: A more subdued example but the CP9 are willing to ally with Naruto after their defeat.
- Didn't Think This Through: Yes Capone, surely a man with nearly double your bounty wouldn't be able to fight through an army of mooks and then lobotomize you by melting the controls of your fortress/body
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: At the end of the short battle between Trafalgar Law and Yosaku, Law takes Yosaku's heart and offers to return it so as not to incur Naruto's wrath. Not only does Yosaku refuse the return of his vital organ, he demands that Paulie and Johnny keep their mouths shut about it, and tells Law that he'll take his own heart back himself.
- Later Yosaku has the same reaction when Muret finds out.
- Dr. Jerk: Muret regularly lays into the crew for the injuries they get. Naruto actually likes this since it means she cares enough to get upset.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: Naruto can use Hiraishin. However, he only has a couple dozen markers and doesn't have a way to make more so he can't spam it like his father.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Johnny and Yosaku point out that their ship doesn't need to avoid the Calm Belt as it's a former Marine ship with a sea stone coating on the bottom, making it functionally invisible to Sea Kings.
- Dynamic Entry: Naruto pulls of the Maito Gai version of this, complete with "Power of Youth" shout. He is understandably unsettled about the latter, afterward.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Naruto & Crew come across Boa Hancock, X Drake, Eustace Kidd, and Jewelry Bonney much earlier in than Luffy did in the series.
- Kizaru arrives at the end of Alabasta to go after Naruto. And again after successfully rescuing Vivi and stopping the slave auctions.
- Elemental Baggage: Averted with Soren. He can turn any of his bodily fluids into acid but doing so naturally dehydrates him. He carries a canteen filled with lemon juice (drinking acidic fluids let him make more potent acids while using less liquid) to keep himself hydrated.
- Elephant in the Living Room: A literal case, in which Naruto gives his ship's doctor, Muret Spandam's sword Funkfreed. For those of you unfamiliar with One Piece, that's a sword that can turn into a freaking elephant!
- Embarrassing Nickname: Miss Valentine isn't too fond of the nickname given to her by the Marines: "Human Albatross".
- Naruto throws a fit when Vivi calls him "Mr. Whiskers".
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even Kidd is disgusted with the slave auctions. Keep in mind, this is a guy who killed everyone on an entire island because they laughed at him.
- Vice-Admiral Onigumo holds nothing but contempt for Spandam and expresses open bewilderment that such a wretched individual got such a high-ranking government job.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: In the New World, even the ground can be lethal as shown on Risky Red Island where the ground has naturally occurring high explosives mixed in the sand.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Naruto is in the middle of wondering where a fruit that would let someone turn into lava would come from when he realizes he knows exactly where Devil Fruits come from: The Shinju.
- Extremely Short Time Span: Averted, unlike canon. According to Robin, as of the timeskip it's been a year since she joined the crew. (In canon, only three months passed between Luffy starting his journey and the timeskip).
- Flash Step: Besides Naruto's Hiraishin and natural speed and Soren learning Rokushiki, Ms. Valentine has developed a speed technique of her own.
- For the Evulz: Doflamingo's reason for making Soren cut himself up.
- Fragile Speedster: Thanks to Naruto, Johnny has become ridiculously fast.
- Friendly Enemy: A minor example but Doflamingo admits he rather likes Naruto despite disagreeing vehemently with him.
- Gunslinger: Nojiko becomes this thanks to Naruto's training.
- Heroic Sacrifice: A non-death example. Naruto gave up living in Konoha, staying with his precious people and his dream of being Hokage to become a wandering hermit to keep the peace between villages, given that Naruto was the hero of the Fourth Shinobi War and the most powerful ninja around.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Apparently, this is the reason Johnny and Yosaku can't use haki yet.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Soren lobotomizes Capone Bege after the latter draws him into his fortress-like body.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Naruto reveals that his headband is a Power Limiter, complete with a "World of Cardboard" Speech. He then removes it and proceeds to kick the crap out of one of the CP9, destroy two-thirds of the Buster Call fleet, one-shot a Vice Admiral (who was using Armament Haki), and fight Admiral Aokiji to a stalemate.
- Could arguably apply after he retrieves Kurama and shortly thereafter kills Akainu.
- After the timeskip, he no longer wears the headband.
- I Ate WHAT?!: Bonney.
Miss Valentine: "Wow, for a big-name pirate captain you were really easy to drug."
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Johnny and Yosaku. Their original reason for joining the crew is because they think Naruto can make them strong. Even after getting stronger and surviving multiple battles that would have outright murdered their canon selves they still have a low opinion of their skills.
- I Want My Friends To Be Happy: Naruto essentially lives and breathes this trope for his crew; it's just been a long time since he's had people to care about.
- Immortal Immaturity: This sums up Naruto nicely.
"But anyway, yeah. I'm immortal." (Naruto) said before pausing and moving his hands in a ghostly manner, "Ooooooooh~…"
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Post time-skip, Nojiko practices sniping using targets three miles away. The fact she's on a ship and aiming at buoys increases the difficulty even further.
- Insistent Terminology: Naruto is not a pirate. Soren on the other hand insists they are given all the pirating they do.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Miss Valentine interrogates a man by sitting on his back and increasing her weight if her refuses to answer a question.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Vivi is described as being roughly middle of the pack in every category.
- Jerkass: Soren.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When it comes to the crew, though he's still pretty rude to them and isn't above beating them up at times. Still, he does care for them.
- Killed Off for Real: Arlong and Akainu.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: The Marines have basically given up on capturing Vivi given that Naruto can take on an admiral and her connection to the Straw Hats isn't worth the effort.
- Logical Weakness: Naruto defeats Smoker at one point by using a wind jutsu to blow him away.
- While in her ghost form, Perona's body is helpless. Thus, Paulie simply ties her up and throws her in a tub of water.
- Love Triangle: Boa Hancock seems to be falling for both Luffy and Naruto.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Naruto's crew when Kizaru suddenly warps smack dab on the middle of the ship.
- Mayfly-December Romance: All of Naruto's relationships. For bonus points, Robin tells Naruto that if he were a few hundred years older, she wouldn't be able to keep her hands off him.
- Mighty Glacier: Yosaku isn't very fast but he casually swings a 4 ton hammer for training.
- Mundane Solution: Naruto can't burn Hiraishin markers with his chakra. He can however have one tattooed on the inside of his lip so he and his clones can always Hiraishin to each other.
- Mundane Utility: Ms. Valentine's weight changing powers are used by Yosaku for training.
- Naruto uses wind chakra to make the Natural Disaster sail faster.
- Nakama: Goes without saying, really. Even the members of Naruto's crew that were somewhat forced to join admit they care about the others after a while.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Where to begin...
- "Armory Mistress" Nojiko
- "Lord of Iaijutsu" Johnny
- "Cleaver" Yosaku
- "Human Albatross" Miss Valentine
- "The Plague" Soren
- And last but not least: "Seed of War"/"God Sage of Anarchy" Uzumaki Naruto
- No Sell: Several times in the story.
- Naruto against Arlong. He bites Naruto in the neck and shoulder without causing him to flinch despite the wound.
- Naruto against Jewelery Bonney's powers. His immortality negated her ability to manipulate his age with her Devil Fruit ability.
- Naruto against Boa Hancock's powers. His anger at getting most of his crew turned to stone and kidnapped by the Kuja Pirates negated any lust he more than likely otherwise would have had to allow her go-to beam attack to work.
- Soren against most people that try to restrain him, notably he negates Hina's powers by simply melting the bonds that her Devil Fruit powers place on him. Getting captured in things usually just annoys him more than anything else.
- A more comedic example, Ms. Valentine lands on Naruto's back then starts increasing her weight. She quickly realizes that Naruto isn't even noticing.
- Vivi's dizziness dance doesn't remotely affect Naruto but he learns later it does work on others.
- Noble Demon: Soren openly admits that he's one evil son of a bitch. He still has lines he doesn't cross and upon his introduction, lets Nojiko flee because he's only interested in fighting Naruto.
- Normal Fish in a Tiny Pond: Bellamy, though according to Monet he was fully aware of this. The reason Bellamy's crew hung out at Mock Town was because he liked being the biggest bounty around.
- Oblivious to Love: Surprisingly averted, given the character in question. Naruto is fully aware when one of the girls likes him for the most part. He just plays dumb until they are actually up front with him about it.
- Off the Rails: Naruto's plan to create a distraction for his crew, get captured, and escape later is promptly derailed when Kizaru decides to just kill him instead.
- Oh Crap!: Naruto's crew, anytime their captain wants them to learn something. See Training from Hell below.
- Older Than He Looks: Naruto, obviously, though it has been recently been revealed that he's only about 90 and not over 120 like he's been saying. Turns out he was just bored of keeping track.
Naruto: "Keeping track of time is useless if I can't die of old age. I forgot. I might as well be older. It doesn't matter, what's the difference? Old is old."
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Miss Valentine has yet to give out her real name, claiming she rather likes her Baroque Works codename.
- The Only Way They Will Learn: Naruto's reason for not helping the Strawhats with their fights in Alabasta is that he won't always be around to help them, and they need to be able to stand on their own.
- Outside-Context Problem: No one on the Grand Line is sure what to make of someone with a variety of unrelated powers and no Devil Fruit weakness to take advantage of. The Marines learn the hard way that Seastone doesn't affect Naruto in the slightest.
- Papa Wolf: Spandine. When Naruto assaults his HQ, decimates his forces, and threatens him with a Fate Worse Than Death if he doesn't disclose Spandam's location (CP9 hired Naruto to pinpoint Spandam's location for them), Spandine, though absolutely terrified, refuses to give in. Naruto is so astonished by this that he relents on his threat and manages to get the information he needs diplomatically: he points out that Spandine can simply warn his son of the coming danger and relocate him after Naruto leaves, which benefits them both as Naruto isn't interested in Spandam and Spandine can protect his son.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Naruto and Akainu's fight is so devastating, Kong complains they'll have to redraw maps of the Red Line.
- Pistol-Whipping: Nojiko's preferred method of punishing blatant crew idiocy whenever they're too close to fire warning shots at.
- Poisonous Person: Soren the Plague can turn any of his body fluids into acid.
- Power Incontinence: Nojiko has very powerful Observation Haki... which she can't turn off.
- Power Limiter: Naruto's headband seals away most of his power.
- The Power of Hate: Naruto no sells Hancocks Mero Mero Beam when they first meet because he's too pissed to have any lustful thoughts about her.
- Protectorate: C'mon, he wouldn't be Naruto if he wasn't like this to his precious people.
- Quantity vs. Quality: One character notes what while the East Blue is the weakest sea on average, the strong pirates that do come from there tend to be insanely strong: Gol D. Rogers, Luffy, Naruto (the Elemental Countries are east of the East Blue)
- Readings Are Off the Scale: Implied when Naruto punches Fukuro. While no number is given, Fukuro is initially shocked at Naruto's Doriki before convincing himself that he didn't get a proper reading.
- Rescue Romance: Every woman who's fallen for Naruto bar Hancock did so after he saved them.
- Nami and Nojiko after he saved their island from Arlong.
- Ms. Valentine after he stopped Mr. 5 from killing her.
- Vivi after he prevented her being a hostage of the World Government.
- Robin after he stopped the Buster Call and fought Aokiji.
- Rhetorical Question Blunder: When Muret first joined, she was appalled by Soren's treatment and asked, "Did you just toss him on a bed to recover and call it a day?" Yes. That's exactly what they did.
- Running Gag:
- Naruto is not a pirate!
- Nojiko is not crazy!
- Doesn't anybody in this damn world know how to make ramen?!
- Sadist: Miss Valentine is the cruelest member of the Foxhound Pirates, though she tries to hide it from her comrades (especially Naruto) for fear of being judged by them.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Bonney bails when three Pacifista interrupt her eating contest with Naruto.
- Serious Business: Naruto and Bonney's argument over whether pizza or ramen is better.
- She-Fu: Vivi starts practicing this after Naruto starts training her. It helps that she's flexible enough that Naruto can put her leg over his shoulder while standing right in front of Vivi without causing any discomfort.
- Shout-Out: Naruto wants Nojiko to learn how to bend bullets
- In the early part of chapter 31, Johnny and Yosaku paraphrase Caboose and Church's "what are they doing now" gag.
- This exchange that leads to Trafalgar Law agreeing to fight Yosaku near the end of chapter 44
- Similar Squad: Exists (with some twists) between the Foxhound and Straw Hat Pirates.
- Naruto and Luffy being Shonen protagonists, it would probably be easier to count their differences.
- Naruto also acts as something of a Gadgeteer Genius in the vein of Usopp or Franky, at least as far as supplying weapons for his crew and design ideas for his ship are concerned.
- Nojiko, besides being Nami's sister, shares her skills at navigation and her position as the de facto voice of reason in most circumstances. In her combat style, she's closer to Usopp with her marksmanship and variety of weapons.
- Soren, like Zoro, started as a pirate hunter (although not for the bounties), remains the undisputed second strongest on the crew, gains an incredibly high bounty placing him among the Supernovas, desires to defeat a specific member of the Shichibukai who defeated him in the past, and even shares his alcoholic and layabout tendencies.
- Positionally, Miss Valentine, like Sanji, is both the crew chef and the third strongest by a good margin. Story-wise, she has more in common with Robin, both having served as Baroque Works officers, and both possessing a good knowledge of the underworld politics of the Grand Line, as well as sharing a fairly pragmatic, even ruthless, view of the world. Despite the shared backgrounds...
- Vivi is much closer to Robin. Both are fugitives from the world government, hunted by great powers due to circumstances beyond their control. Both tend towards calm reserve and level-headedness, with occasional displays of child-like humor and wonder contrasted with a strong sense of dignity, all overshadowed by an unshakable trust in the captain that rescued them.
- Paulie, like Franky, is a shipwright from water 7, with an ambition to build a ship that can sail the length of the grand line, and a strong perverted streak (although Paulie tries to mask it be complaining about shameless women).
- Byron, as with Brook, is a musician and former captain rescued from enslavement to one of the Shichibukai, and the last member to join the crew before the New World. Both also have Unfinished Business relating to their former crew.
- Super Strength: Miss Valentine can use her Kilo Kilo Fruit abilities to attack very similarly to Tsunade.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Vivi's falling hard for Naruto
- Team Mom: Nojikko.
- Took a Level in Badass: All of Naruto's crew are much stronger than their canon counterparts, thanks to Naruto's relentless training regimen.
- Post timeskip it seems most, if not all have awakened Haki.
- Training from Hell: Naruto routinely increases Johnny and Yosaku's chakra weights, given to them to increase their speed and strength, whenever they adjust to the added weight...and to punish them....and to teach them something... and whenever he feels like it...
- When Vivi told Naruto she wanted him to train her, the entire crew told her simultaneously, "No you don't."
- Tranquil Fury: Naruto reaches this after hearing everything Arlong put Nami through. The results ain't pretty.
- Troll: After a shipwright manages to outfit with everything Naruto wants, Naruto admits to putting a few in just to fuck with the guy.
- Underestimating Badassery: Naruto gets this a few times, less after he gets his second and third bounties.
- Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object: Both parties are highly surprised when a wind imbued kunai thrown by Naruto manages to cut Lucci's hand. The former because it didn't take his entire hand off; the latter because it did any damage.
- Unwanted Rescue: The marines try to rescue Vivi from Naruto whenever they meet. However, most of them don't understand that Naruto isn't holding her hostage; he's keeping her from being held hostage by the World Government.
- "Wanted!" Poster: Naruto is fairly indifferent when he sees his first wanted poster, save for that he's given the nickname "Seed of War". His second poster and nickname "God Sage of Anarchy", on the other hand...
- War Is Hell: Naruto spent the better part of a century bringing peace to the Elemental Nations, and he's not going to let anyone mess with that, least of all the World Government.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Natural Disaster is modified so Naruto can fire jutsu from the masthead.
- We Can Rule Together: Naruto's offered a Shichibukai position after Alabasta. Naturally, he turns it down.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Kizaru has been beaten twice by using a mirror to reflect him away.
- Who Wants to Live Forever??: While Naruto isn't too overly angsty about all his friends and loved ones having long since passed on, he does come to realize how boring being immortal is.
Naruto (literally the first line of the fic): "*sigh* Boooreddddddddaaaaa!"
- With My Hands Tied: Moments after being tied up by a pissed Paulie, Soren intentionally fights Tashigi with his arms bound to his sides for the duration of the battle when he could have just burned through them.
- Worf Had the Flu: Naruto manages to barely fight Aokiji to a draw. A few chapters later he struggles with a Vice Admiral because he didn't have time to set up Sage Mode.
- Technically all of Naruto's fights up until he spars against Jinbe since he doesn't have Kurama with him.
- Naruto's fight with Jinbe counts for the latter as he's not nearly as strong out of water.
- World of Badass: To such an extent that in chapter 41, Naruto decides he's going to need Kurama's help if he wants to continue sailing.
- Younger Than They Look: Bonney is, given her immature attitude and how hard she fought while effected by truth serum not to answer the question of how old she really was, implied to be a child who used her age powers to turn herself into an adult.