Fan Fic / Shadows Of The Azure
Shadows Of The Azure
is a fanfiction made by Chris X
(yes, the man behind Super Sentai Vs Super Sentai
). Once again a crossover, it involves both BlazBlue
and the Persona
series, but mainly Persona 4
. It is sort of a celebration of the announcement of Arc System Works
' Persona 4: Arena
, but he intends to finish it.
The story takes place after the True End of Persona 4
and the True End of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
. The Investigation Team returned to the Midnight Channel one day, but was eventually attacked by a mysterious creature note
, stronger than any Shadows or even Izanami. Thoroughly beaten, the Investigation Team is whisked away to somewhere else by the creature as it wreaked havoc to the Midnight Channel, in actuality thrown into the world of BlazBlue
, where Yuu Narukami along with Teddie were found by Ragna the Bloodedge and Taokaka, and had to travel with them while uncovering the mystery behind the attack, seemingly getting blurry in their memories, as well as eluding whatever Terumi Yuuki is plotting. Along with that, dreams of meeting a mysterious man with a blue butterfly seemingly becomes common... and Shadows started appearing in the BlazBlue
world... And as things unraveled, the Shadow Operatives involved in the case in Inaba at Golden Week
, and also an alumni of St. Hermelin
, looking younger than she normally was, found themselves also thrown into this world...
It is very much promised that the author will create Shadow versions
of the BlazBlue
cast, so keep your fingers crossed for the likes of Shadow Ragna, Shadow Jin, etc.
As of recent, it was taken down.
Characters that has made appearance in the fic so far (excepting the disastrous battle prologue).
- Persona 4 characters: Yuu Narukami, Teddie, Yukiko Amagi, Yosuke Hanamura, Chie Satonaka, Kanji Tatsumi, Naoto Shirogane, Rise Kujikawa, Margaret.
- BlazBlue characters: Ragna the Bloodedge, Taokaka, Litchi Faye-Ling, Tsubaki Yayoi, Relius Clover, Hazama/Terumi Yuuki, Rachel Alucard, Valkenhayn R. Hellsing, Bang Shishigami, Platinum the Trinity, Jin Kisaragi, Jubei, Carl Clover, Makoto Nanaya, Iron Tager, Noel Vermillion, Hakumen, Nu-13, Bullet.
- Persona 3 characters: Aigis, Mitsuru Kirijo, Fuuka Yamagishi, Akihiko Sanada.
- Persona characters: Eriko Kirishima, Igor, Philemon, Nyarlathotep.
- Original Characters: Lou Kung, Hattori, Hakurei Mutsuki, Helios, Eiji, Yuzu, Gan.
- Shadow Selves: Shadow Ragna, Shadow Noel, Shadow Tsubaki, Shadow Makoto, Shadow Jin, Shadow Litchi, Shadow Bang, Shadow Taokaka, Shadow Fuuka, Shadow Hakumen.
Tropes associated with Shadows of the Azure
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Invoked. As many fic-writers wrote Tenjou's son as 'just and honorable and a more stoic version of Bang', this fic portrays Tenjou's son (Hattori) as a much darker, unstable, not-so-squeaky-good character
- The Atoner: Litchi post Shadow Labryinth, Tsubaki, and to an extent, Philemon.
- Attention Whore: Shadow Tsubaki accused Tsubaki to be doing all things in the name of 'justice' because she only sought attention, appreciation, etc.
- Badass in Distress: First off Litchi, but then she's already freed. Then Mitsuru (caught by Relius).
- Bigger Bad: It is but implied by Philemon that Nyarlathotep is one, compared to Terumi (and Relius).
- Butt-Monkey: No matter the universe, Yosuke always became one, especially when he's stuck in Rachel's dimension.
- The Cameo: In form of a flashback involving an alumni from Persona, Kei Nanjou.
- Canon Name: The author uses Yuu Narukami instead of Souji Seta or other names.
- Cooldown Hug: This is Litchi we're talking about. In one chapter, she did this twice on a distraught Yukiko.
- Curbstomp Battle: Averted with Akihiko against Hazama. Then again, Hazama was holding back as he has other plans with Relius.
- Deconstruction: This is a Persona 4 fic involving Shadows of a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits that is the BlazBlue cast. To wit...
- He Who Fights Monsters: Shadow Ragna always hated that by clinging into promises he made and his humanity, he never could outwit, defeat and make Terumi pay, and thus always wanted to toss them away and be a monster himself if it means killing Terumi.
- The Chew Toy, Distressed Damsel: Shadow Noel hated that she's always the useless chump always needing anyone to help her, but on given the chance to do something she could be useful for, even as Mu-12 the destroyer, she should embrace that destructive side as 'the only thing she's good for'.
- For Great Justice: Shadow Tsubaki hates how she's never getting any recognition for all the hard work she got and would side with anyone who would give her attention, even with Terumi, claiming that it is for justice, the 'justice' of being appreciated for all she did.
- Fantastic Racism: Shadow Makoto is very similar to the original Shadow Chie, claiming to be befriending Noel and Tsubaki while still hating the facts that they're humans, unable to forget the past. And also befriending Noel because she's a clone and a Person of Mass Destruction that she'd use to lash against her oppressors later.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Shadow Jin always sought the attention of Ragna to the point of extremes that he'd ignore everything else that's not related to Ragna, and brutally kill anyone who gets between them, as well as claiming that everything he did was solely for his brother's attention. In other words, as he said, he's like a perpetual baby who's constantly crying for his brother's babysitting.
- Love Martyr: Shadow Litchi thinks that the world revolves around Lotte/Arakune and only he matters in the world, therefore, she'll sacrifice and destroy everything else not related to Lotte/Arakune, with only those willing to help (Terumi/Relius) will be spared and be listened to, resulting a doomed world where it's just her and Arakune with everyone else dead, which she refers as 'paradise', and the actions leading to it claimed to be 'tragic and romantic' so Lotte would pay attention.
- Super Hero: Shadow Bang is only using his hero persona and painting NOL as the evil tyrannical empire in order to gain sympathizer not for altruistic moment, but to replace the NOL rule with his own vision of Ikaruga, a fanatical Knight Templar state where any oppositions were executed for his 'justice', all because he's angry at NOL 'defeating' him and standing on the top, even if he in turn disgraces the way of ninja and his young master Hattori by being a Highly Visible Large Ham Ninja as well as adapting a Black and White Morality view.
- Big Eater: Shadow Taokaka is such a sloth who just likes eating and sleeping, disliking when someone interrupts those acts, and refused to actually learn things when she could, since she just wants to think only of eating... And eating anything, including her fellow Kaka kittens.
- Not a Shadow version, but... the concept of La Résistance is deconstructed brutally. Sector Seven took advantage of the fallacy of 'Empire = Obviously Evil' and presents themselves as the good resistance for the people for propaganda, while in truth, they'd stoop so low or even lower than NOL on a good day to get whatever they want, they're just as bad as NOL on the worst day and only cares for their own desires, not the people. Akihiko called out on this and the soldiers gleefully admit it.
- Call-Back: Philemon occasionally puts his hand on his cheek, the same spot hit by Tatsuya Suou. It was a reminder/wake up call on how much of a jackass he was in Innocent Sin.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Hazama isn't fooling anyone at this point. Even Yukiko can spot that he's a bastard beneath that carefree attitude, and Aigis drove him out of Mutsuki house on first sight.
- The Dreaded: Nyarlathotep. The mere mention of him being around was enough to make the usually unflappable Rachel choke on her tea and spat.
- Dual Boss: Shadow Noel and Shadow Makoto are fought in the same time.
- The Empire: Subverted. The NOL remain at large as The Empire, but there has been factions that realizes that it was 'big & mean' because Terumi manipulates it (such as the Mutsuki House), and not everyone there are cackling bullies, especially in the past when they were doing their damndest to maintain peace and prosperity in the Crapsack World. See also the Deconstruction of La Résistance.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Kokonoe did NOT take Litchi's turn into NOL well and responded by not interfering with whatever Sector Seven had in plan for her.
- Expy: Lou Kung, The Sector Seven executioner that caught Litchi is said to be based on Kai Leng
- Hakurei Mutsuki is said to have similar designs with Takane Shijou
- Fandom Nod: Rachel remarked that her George XIII that she sent to chase off Yosuke has been getting a little rusty. Which was generally fandom's opinion on the drop of tier levels of Rachel from Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift.
- Fix Fic: This fic in a nutshell. The BlazBlue world getting too crapsack that everyone is such a mess that couldn't fix themselves? Send in the Persona 4 characters who knew a thing or two about accepting one's self and making peace with their inner selves to fix that so they don't continue to become the toys of Terumi and stand a chance in defeating him. Things get more complicated after that premise.
- Fountain of Youth: For a certain unknown reason, Elly appears to be in her teenager form rather than adult form.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot: Teach Me, Ms. Litchi! is featured in place of "Author's Note", also featuring guest stars Elizabeth and Kagura Mutsuki.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Tsubaki again... this time to Yukiko, but she got over it after seeing her Shadow.
- Hattori, on the other hand, is highly jealous at Bang for being picked as his father's successor.
- Grey and Gray Morality: It's gotten to this. NOL has gotten much more positive rap than merely just Litchi and sane!Tsubaki, as shown by Hakurei and the Mutsuki House. Sector Seven has progressively gotten much darker thanks to Kokonoe's antics and her higher ups, while the Ikaruga Resistance... with a rather confrontative, dark, unstable leader like Hattori, really sheds away the "Underdog Dashing Resistance Movement Against Tyranny" image.
- Groin Attack: Bang committed the same mistake he did to Noel, this time to Chie... the result is a critical hit to the nads. He shrugs it off fine, though.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Used as the basis of Shadow Ragna's Hannibal Lecture to Ragna, citing that he doesn't care about how many people die, and how will he turn into a monster against his promises to Rachel to stay human, as long as he can get his one wish of killing Terumi in revenge.
- Headbutting Heroes: Kanji and Jin are shaping to be this.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Yukiko was completely shaken when she overheard what Relius planned to do with her (dissecting). Thank goodness Litchi was there to calm her down, allegiance be damned.
- Tao gets one when "Ragna" makes her eat the Forbidden Fruit of Knowledge, which causes her to realize just how much of an idiot and a nuisance she presents herself to others. Needless to say, she doesn't take it very well.
- He's Back: BOTH Philemon and Nyarlathotep are back.
- Insult to Rocks: Sums up Hazama/Terumi. Comparing him to aliens or Shadows sound like insult for both aliens and Shadows everywhere, according to Tsubaki and Aigis.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: Most readers recognize that Kokonoe did one.
- Mythology Gag: Kei had to use the fake name because he's being targetted. The name he used? Nate Trinity.
- The Nicknamer: As usual, Taokaka. The nicknames she came up for the Persona 4 cast (and their Personas)...
- Yuu: White Head Guy
- Teddie: Bear Guy
- Izanagi: Black Guy
- Kintoki-Douji: Fat Rocket Guy
- Chie: Kung-Fu Girl
- Kanji: Scary Jacket Dude
- Ninja: Invoked by Hattori, who points out that he's NOT a Highly Visible Ninja and found Bang's antics about that ridiculous.
- Oh, Crap!: When Rise realized that she's facing TWO Shadows at once.
- Only Friend: At the moment, with the allegiance problem of her former friends, Tsubaki only had Litchi as a friend, and the arrival of Yukiko and Litchi's closeness to her is slowly driving Tsubaki to the edge further.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Hattori had this mindset about Jin.
- Parody Names: Hakurei made an off-handed mention of a game called Sinful Cog
- Pungeon Master: Like usual, Teddie. He even pun-ized Ragna's name into "Ragna the Bear-Edge". Of course Ragna didn't like it.
- Put on a Bus: Labrys for the Shadow Operatives, she stayed back to help the Nanjou Group take down Arena's 'Eerie Voice'. Elizabeth as well since she's currently on a journey as a new bearer of the Fool Arcana.
- Revenge Before Reason: Kokonoe has becomes this in spades.
- Shadow Archetype: The premise of the fic is to introduce Shadow versions of the BlazBlue characters. Thus far it has Shadow Ragna, Noel, Tsubaki, Makoto, Jin, Litchi, Bang and Taokaka with Hakumen's on the looming side.
- Ship Tease: Quite a lot between Yosuke and Fuuka. Yosuke is clearly protective of her, and gets very mad at Shadow Fuuka mocking and dismissing Fuuka. Fuuka's dialogue also indicates she may have some feelings towards Yosuke.
- Shout-Out: Ragna takes the explanation of Midnight Channel just as much as Ichigo Kurosaki taking the explanation of Soul Reapers for the first time.
- And Terumi, being the way he is, also refers Yuu mockingly as "Mah boi". He also refers to H.P. Lovecraft and mentions some Gods like Cthulhu, Azazoth, Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep. The last, though...
- And Rise finally gets her chance to utter "Shut up, shut up, shut up!!". She's not devolved to that though.
- "You sayin' I like dudes!?" It wasn't as much as played for humors, though.
- Chapter 16 also includes the MGS one like "Time to..." *phone ringing* "What now?". Also in the end, Hakurei claims that Yukiko's laughing is 'an endearing trait'.
- Chapter 18 has another, when the Malevolent Entity returns and taunts Mitsuru, mocking her father with, "He died like a dog, and so will you."
- "I've just had enough 'bout yer snide disposition" and "That was fer Jin, ya sunuvabitch". Considering who Lou Kung was Expy-ing...
- Hazama sang "When You're Awesome"
- The addition of Hakurei Mutsuki, as the head of Mutsuki house, of all Original Characters, may be a Shout-Out / inspiration by another fic At Fate's Hands where the head of Mutsuki, there named Belioz, is an important OC, as Hakurei is the one who discovered Aigis and would probably play part in her future involvement. Unlike Belioz who's touted to be greedy and corrupt, Hakurei is instead noble and serene (and obviously a chick).
- Bang's Shadow is very similar with Darth Vader, and breathes like him too. His reveal scene pays homage to the "I am your father" scene. His Shadow form's chest plate is also a shout out for Gokai Silver (only used for dark stuffs). He also has an attack similar to Pure Odio's Saint Alicia.
- Helios is Hakurei's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roomate. Their relationship? Absolutely nothing, aside of the fact that he's employed by her.
- Also doubling for Actor Allusion...:
- Smug Snake: Terumi went further by claiming himself greater than those Lovecraftian Gods above. And considering that Rachel spat on the mention of Nyarlathotep returning, a lot thinks that Terumi is just way over his head.
- Spit Take: When Rachel heard about Nyarlathotep may be returning, she had this trope against her usual demeanor, as a serious notion on how dangerous the current opponent is.
- Those Two Guys: Those THREE guys: Eiji, Yuzu and Gan. Ninjas under service of Hattori.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Litchi just saved Lou Kung from certain death from Shadows. Lou Kung's response is to knock her out and put her back on track to execution process.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Happens to Eiji for Naoto, and in the past it's implied that he also got one with Amane, the trope is then passed on to Gan for that occasion. And previously, Carl also got the same reaction when Naoto blatantly declared her gender.
- Wham Episode: Chapter 22. Sector Seven began its war against NOL, enveloping Ikaruga. And in the same time... Akihiko is dead.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Kokonoe receives a lot of this, she didn't care.
- Rachel receives a grand total of three chastising so far. Yosuke called her out for making fun of people to relive her boredom. Litchi called her out for withholding information she could share and instead taunting the unknowing people in the dark. Philemon called her out for her dismissive mistreatment for Nago and Gii. Surprisingly, Rachel has been taking it at heart, though she hasn't made an act to rectify them.