Shadowchasers City of Angels
is a Shadowchasers
fanfic by MichaelDJ54
The Los Angeles are an odd bunch-Damian, a reformed criminal. Scraps, a robot made out of scraps. Jerian, a blind swordsman Pro Duelist. Angua, a werebeast and Fourteen, a man with an unhealthy obsession with explosives-, but they get the job done and keep the peace. Hard to find a tighter-knit group and their dedication to their job is top-notch.
Enter Vladimir Bloodletter
Vladimir is no ordinary run-of-the-mill thug, wanting money or power or revenge. He has no goal, save to bring death and destruction and tear down law and order to establish the rule of the only law that matters: Survival of the Fittest. And Vladimir aims to prove that he's the fittest there is. Aiding him are Lazarus, a necromancer straight from a nightmare and Minomachi, a kappa who loves to see the blood of 'fleshies' splattered everywhere. Drawing together a cabal of like-minded criminals, thugs and murderers and allied with the Howling Gale Yokai clan, Vladimir's Sons of Tyranny are a challenge unlike any other for the LA Shadowchasers.
But let us hope that that something is watching over the side of the Shadowchasers, otherwise the City of Angels will be consumed in the fires of Hell...
Shadowchasers: City of Angels contains examples of the following tropes:
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to all previous Shadowchasers fics, the villains having far more vile and violent motivations. Damien is rather dark as well; he and the other heroes at least qualify for Good Is Not Nice.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Dante uses a Dark Counterpart Deck, which includes many fanmade cards. (It does not include Dark Armed Dragon, for "personal reasons".)
- For the Evulz: The motivation of any villain in this fic- tear down society and bring for the anarchy.
- Interspecies Romance: Damien was formerly in a relationship with a female ophidian named Sandra, who introduced him to underground dueling, which led to his association with the Sons of Tyranny. The relationship ended badly, but he is still very supportive towards the ophidia as a result.
- Los Angeles
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: Well, Angua isn't very different as far as the classic model is concerned, but she is on the heroes' side.
- Police Are Useless: Subverted, at least in Angua's case.
- Shout-Out: Angua, to Discworld.
- Space Whale Aesop: The moral the story seemed to be heading for, at first, seemed to be, "an organization that is perceived as racially biased by the public might attract the wrath of people who are even worse in that regard". (The authors have admitted that the intention did tend to come out wrong in a few places, one reason for the hiatus.)
- Tagalong Kid: Jessica, but it almost ends very badly for her.