Shadowchasers: All Hallow's Eve
is a one shot fanfic in the Shadowchasers
franchise. The fanfic was written as a Halloween special released on October 31st, 2013.
Starring the Dark Elf Shadowchaser Ashla Da'rok in Atlantic City on Halloween, the story takes place aboard the Phantom Train, which ferries the souls of the dead to the afterlife. Ashla has to face off against Sol Cortyge, the conductor of the Phantom Train who is targetting the Shadowchasers for his dark master.
This Fic Includes the Following Tropes:
- Aborted Arc: Not truly aborted, but the author has left it up for other writers to use Cortyge's unnamed benefactor in a plot.
- Action Girl: Ashla Da'rok.
- Afterlife Express: Uhm, of course.
- A Day in the Limelight: This fic is one for Ashla Da'rok.
- Big Bad: Sol Cortyge.
- Bigger Bad / The Man Behind the Man: Sol Cortyge's unnamed benefactor.
- Black Knight: Sentinel is a living suit of armor that has this appearance.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Both Ashla Da'rok and Sol Cortyge were first mentioned in Shadowchasers files in Power Primordial.
- Continuity Nod: Two examples.
- Ashla refers to Louis DaPen, Saramanda, and the Aboleth from the original Shadowchasers and Power Primordial fanfics.
- Cortyge mentions the Witty Phantom using the Dice Reaper card in the Thousand Year Door Redux fanfic.
- Crazy-Prepared: Cortyge comes prepared to counter Infernity cards with spell cards that forces Ashla to draw cards.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ashla is a Dark Elf and a member of the Shadowchasers.
- The same can be said of Elistaree, the goddess that she and most other dark elves who reject Lolth devote themselves too. (However, most myths portray Elistaree as the Good Is Not Nice type.)
- One of her decks is the DARK attribute Infernity monsters.
- Dark Messiah: Subverted in that Ashla was originally promised to the Goddess Lolth, but turned on her later in life.
- Deal with the Devil: Cortyge was bound to the Phantom Train after losing a bet to a shadowy figure. Lampshaded when Ashla says, "Gives a whole new meaning to a deal with the devil."
- The Dreaded: Cortyge and the Phantom Train.
- Dumb Muscle: Sentinel.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Cortyge will kidnap, gamble, make a deal with a dark figure, but he will not ever cheat or play cards to modify the effects of his own cards.
- Evil Counterpart: Sentinel's Dark Armor monsters to Valon's Armor monsters.
- The Gambler: Cortyge in life was a profesional gambler, he also uses a deck with monsters called the Chance Fiends, which have effects based around coin tosses, dice rolls, and card drawing.
- Goth: Ashla is described in much this way.
- Halloween Episode: Its a Halloween special fanfic, set during Halloween, released on Halloween.
- Happiness in Slavery: Cortyge is basically enslaved by his benefactor, but has made no attempt to escape until given a chance.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Cortyge's spell card Gambler's Ruin cut his own life points in half, leading to his defeat.
- Immortality: Cortyge is immortal more or less as long as the Phantom Train exists.
- Ironic Echo: In the original Shadowchasers, Edmund Mason says if he was facing Kyosuke Kiryu he would come prepared with cards to make him draw. In this fanfic, Cortyge employs this very strategy against Ashla who uses the same strategy.
- I Work Alone: Ashla is the only Shadowchaser in Atlantic City.
- My Hero Zero: Ashla uses an Infernity Deck.
- No Name Given: Sentinel is only known as Sentinel.
- Only the Worthy May Pass: Ashla has to defeat Sentinel in order to enter the engine.
- Powered Armor: The Sentinel uses an Armor, although his cards are completely different from the ones used by Valon.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Supernatural Powers!: Cortyge kidnaps Ashla in defiance of the Great Treaty.
- Sequel Hook: The ending could count.
- Shout-Out: Ashla quotes a line from the comic V for Vendetta in reference to the Phantom Train always arriving on time.
Ashla: At least the trains all run on time, but they're not going anywhere.
- A number of Cortyge's cards where named for gambling terms.
- The fanfic ends with the finishing line from Orson Wells' radio drama War of the Worlds
"So good bye everybody, and remember please, for the next day or so the terrible lesson you learned tonight. That grinning, glowing, globular invader of your living room is a resident of the Pumpkin Patch, and if your doorbell rings and nobody's there, that was no Martian... its Halloween."
- You Have Failed Me: Cortyge's benefactor punishes him by trapping him for all eternity on the Phantom Train.