Quiz is not good with parties.Quizzical
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fan fiction written by JMac
Quizzical Greystone is Twilight Sparkle's new research assistant. She may also be the most introverted pony ever. Can researching the magic of friendship help Quizzical break out of her shell?
It has three sequels: Thweet Geniuth
(complete), Adventures In Cake Sitting
(complete)(the author's personal favorite) and Quizzical Greystone And The Basements Of Doom
. There are also four one shots, "They're Not Touching You!"
, A Little Fixer-Upper
(which might be of particular interest to tropers, as the entire story is a tribute to training montages), Pen And Paper Hearts
(again, perhaps interesting to tropers for it's tribute to tabletop gaming), and The Poetry of the Layers
(in which the fannish Quiz meets her canon counterpart, Maud Pie).
This fic provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Quiz primarily, although Twilight has some moments.
- Call Back: The Diamond Dogs make a return appearance. And they're still terrified of Rarity.
- Alpha Bitch: Diamond Tiara
- Crowd Song: Justified since "The Heart Carol" is known by most of the ponies in Equestria.
- Eleventh Hour Superpower: Sweetie Belle's experiments with gems and music leads to this.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Stone the Drone.
- Extreme Doormat: This is what Quiz starts as, growing out of it (somewhat) is the point of the story.
- A Friend in Need: Indy for Quizzical
- Friendless Background: Quiz had no friends until she came to Ponyville.
- Hates Small Talk: Quizzical
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted as Indy is clearly mortally wounded saving Quiz from the cave in, but Princess Luna arrives in time to heal his injuries.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Quizzical is both smart and skilled at magic. She is completely unable to recognize this about herself.
- Large Ham: Princess Luna
- The Mentor: Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna, and of course Celestia for Twilight.
- Middle Child Syndrome: Quiz' older brother and younger sister are both more attractive and successful than her. As she is quick to point out to Princess Celestia.
- Mood Whiplash: the first two-thirds of the story are about Quiz learning about friendship, then she gets kidnapped by Diamond Dogs.
- Nerd Glasses: Quizz wears a pair.
- No Sense of Humor: Quizzical starts out this way, she's trying to improve. The results have been...mixed.
- The Power of Friendship: plays a major role in saving Quiz from the Diamond Dogs.
- Shrinking Violet: when she wants to be Quiz is practically invisible.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Quizzical
- The Spock: Quiz likes numbers and rocks
- Spock Speak: Quizzical knows what contractions are, she just can't use them.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Pinkie Pie pops up behind Quiz while she's standing quietly in an shadowed alcove watching the room.
- The Stoic: Quiz displays very few emotions
Somepony should have advised you, thought Celestia, that when you use words such as ‘delightful’ you should try to sound as if you are delighted.
- Surprise Party: Pinkie Pie + new pony in town? Yeah this was inevitable.
- Title Drop: done by Princess Luna
“I prefer the simple explanation,” said Luna.
“And what is that, Sister?” asked Celestia.
Luna shrugged, “Friendship is magic.”
- Torches and Pitchforks: Ponyville's "local militia" is armed with gardening tools.