Quizzical is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan fiction written by JMac.Quizzical Greystone is Twilight Sparkle's new research assistant. She may also be the most introverted pony ever. Can researching the magic of friendship help Quizzical break out of her shell?It has three sequels:
- Thweet Geniuth (complete)
- Adventures In Cake Sitting (complete)(the author's personal favorite)
- Wonderful (The Hearth's Warming story).
- Quizzical Greystone And The Basements Of Doom.
- "They're Not Touching You!"
- A Little Fixer-Upper (the entire story is a tribute to training montages)
- Pen And Paper Hearts (it's a tribute to tabletop gaming)
- The Poetry of the Layers (in which the fannish Quiz meets her canon counterpart, Maud Pie).
- "I'll Take That One." (How Quiz was chosen to be Luna's student.)
- The Quality of Mercy
This fic provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Quiz primarily, although Twilight has some moments.
- Alliterative List: From The Quality of Mercy, when Quiz talks about Spike's cooking:“Your cooking is disgusting. Your pancakes in particular are frightfully bad. They are horrific, horrendous, and horrible. Um, do I need to go on?”
- Alpha Bitch: Diamond Tiara
- Book on the Head: A Little Fixer-Upper:"Show me you can walk around the room with poise."
Quiz had no difficulty completing a lap of the library's front room, so Scootaloo added a book.
“This would be more stable if the smallest book was on the top,” Quiz pointed out.
“I know,” said Scootaloo, adding a third, even larger book. “Walk around again. And this time explain the difference between a noun, a proper noun, and a pronoun.”
“I would have thought you had enough of windigos after the last time.”
- The Quality of Mercy, when Quiz and the Cake Twins meet a Wendigo, Quiz references Adventures In Cake Sitting where Wendigos were responsible for a enormous blizzard that dangerously snowed in Ponyville.
The twins shuddered. Then Pumpkin shook her head and smiled. “Wispy not like that. He’s not scary, he’s cute!”
- Crowd Song: Justified since "The Heart Carol" is known by most of the ponies in Equestria.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: Sweetie Belle's experiments with gems and music leads to this by increasing her magical ability.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Stone the Drone.
- Excited Show Title!: Well, Chapter Title: A few exist, such as:
- Extreme Doormat: This is what Quiz starts as, growing out of it (somewhat) is the point of the story.
- A Friend in Need: Indy for Quizzical.
- Friendless Background: Quiz had no friends until she came to Ponyville.
- Hates Small Talk: Quizzical
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted as Indy is clearly mortally wounded saving Quiz from the cave in, but Princess Luna arrives in time to heal his injuries.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Quizzical is both smart and skilled at magic. She is completely unable to recognize this about herself.
- Intangibility: Sweetie Belle's "I Want To Walk Through This Wall" spell makes patches of walls intangible, and if something is inside the intangible portion when the spell is ended, it is cut, as seen when Bon Bon "lost the tip of her tail".
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: In Thweet Geniuth: "...Then Get Out Of The Kitchen.":Chef Twist is so cute! I want to take her home with me.
- It's a Wonderful Plot: Wonderful, as said in its long description:During a very bad week Quizzical Greystone comes to believe her whole life has been a failure. Three strange mares travel a long way, just to show her that she's wrong.
- Large Ham: Princess Luna, with her use of the Royal Canterlot Voice.
- The Mentor: Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna, and of course Celestia for Twilight.
- Middle Child Syndrome: In Quizzical's first chapter as noted by Cheerilee. Quiz's older brother and younger sister are both more attractive and successful than her. As Quiz is quick to point out to Princess Celestia.“My older brother, Chisel, will be taking over our family business. He has a very good head, and the quarries will be in good hands with my brother,” said Quiz.
The stallion could also pose for the cover of a romance novel, thought Cheerilee. She had to admit that she would buy that book.
“My baby sister, Delight, is still very young, but she has the potential to accomplish anything. We expect she will marry well, but I strongly doubt that will be all she does,” said Quiz.
And she is the prettiest foal I have ever seen, and this isn’t even a very good photo, thought Cheerilee.
“You sound very proud of them, Quiz,” she said.
“Oh, yes, I am very proud,” said Quiz. “My siblings are extraordinary ponies, Miss Cheerilee.”
And you are the middle child between these two extraordinary ponies, thought Cheerilee.
- Mood Whiplash: the first two-thirds of the story are about Quiz learning about friendship, then she gets kidnapped by Diamond Dogs.
- Mythology Gag:
- From Quizzical:
- From Basements of Doom:
- Chapter 13, references Pinkie Pie's loud bell ringing that was shown in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S4 E3 "Castle Mane-ia":Quizzical: I feel much as the clapper must feel when Miss Pinkie is the bellringer.”
- Chapter 13, references Pinkie Pie's loud bell ringing that was shown in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic S4 E3 "Castle Mane-ia":
- Nerd Glasses: Quiz, a bookish pony, wears a pair of glasses.
- No Sense of Humor: Quizzical starts out this way, she's trying to improve. The results have been... mixed.
- One-Word Title: A few, some are:
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: In Quality of Mercy, when Quizzical is trying to irritate people, everyone she meets that doesn't understand what is going on, is worried:“Your hat, Miss Applejack. I think it is stupid. It looks very, very stupid and I do not like it.”
Applejack could just gape at Quiz, so Rarity answered.
“Quizzical, this is very unlike you. Is there something the matter?”
“Quiz, what has gotten into you?” demanded Applejack. “You did not stop us just to insult our personal styles.”
“Actually, I have apparently just done exactly that,” said Quiz. “How does that make you feel? Does it make you angry?”
“A little miffed, maybe,” said Applejack. “But mostly you have me puzzled.”
“Yes, miffed and puzzled, that describes it perfectly,” said Rarity. “Please tell us what is wrong, Quizzical.”
“Hmmm,” mused Spike, watching Quiz go. “You gotta give the kid this much - when she freaks out it’s a lot quieter than with Twilight.”
Spike hurried home to the library to find a parchment and a quill. He had to send a letter.
- The Power of Friendship: It plays a major role in saving Quiz from the Diamond Dogs, helping her escape through the help of her captor, whom she befriended.
- Repetitive Name:
“Perhaps it would help if you thought of how ridiculous it really is,” said Quiz. “Consider – ‘Blitzen’ is Paarderdamen for ‘lightning.’ ‘Éclair’ is Fancy for ‘lightning.’”
- Ponyville's candy-maker, Bon Bon.
- Grand Chef Blitzen ‘Lightning’ Éclair, as explained in Chapter 14 of Thweet Geniuth:
“And his nickname’s ‘Lightning’?” exclaimed Scootaloo. “So the Grand Chef wants to be called ‘Lightning, air-quotes Lightning, Lightning’? What a doofus!”
- Shrinking Violet: when she wants to be Quiz is practically invisible.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Quizzical, who is really good at math and magic.
- The Spock: Quiz likes numbers and rocks.
- Spock Speak: Quizzical knows what contractions are, she just can't use them.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Pinkie Pie pops up behind Quiz while she's standing quietly in an shadowed alcove watching the room.
- The Stoic: Quiz displays very few emotions:Somepony should have advised you, thought Celestia, that when you use words such as ‘delightful’ you should try to sound as if you are delighted.
- Surprise Party: Pinkie Pie + new pony in town? Yeah this was inevitable.
- Tears of Joy: Thweet Geniuth: "And The Winner Is..." Reprise:“Princess, why are you sad?” asked Ray. “Please don’t cry.”
“These are tears of Joy, little Ray,” answered the Princess. “I am reminded of how very happy I am to be here.”
- Tele-Frag: When Bon Bon "lost the tip of her tail" when it intersected a bit of wall going tangible again, after being made intangible by Sweetie Belle's "I Want To Walk Through This Wall" spell.
- Title Drop: For My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Done by Princess Luna:“I prefer the simple explanation,” said Luna.
“And what is that, Sister?” asked Celestia.
Luna shrugged, “Friendship is magic.”
- Torches and Pitchforks: Ponyville's "local militia" is armed with gardening tools.
- Verbed Title: