Quizzical is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fan fiction written by JMac.Quizzical Greystone is Twilight Sparkle's new research assistant. She may also be the most introverted pony ever. Can researching the magic of friendship help Quizzical break out of her shell?It has three sequels:
- Thweet Geniuth (complete)
- Adventures In Cake Sitting (complete)(the author's personal favorite)
- Quizzical Greystone And The Basements Of Doom.
- "They're Not Touching You!"
- A Little Fixer-Upper (which might be of particular interest to tropers, as the entire story is a tribute to training montages)
- Pen And Paper Hearts (again, perhaps interesting to tropers for it's tribute to tabletop gaming)
- The Poetry of the Layers (in which the fannish Quiz meets her canon counterpart, Maud Pie).
This fic provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Quiz primarily, although Twilight has some moments.
- Book on the Head: A Little Fixer-Upper:"Show me you can walk around the room with poise."
Quiz had no difficulty completing a lap of the library's front room, so Scootaloo added a book.
“This would be more stable if the smallest book was on the top,” Quiz pointed out.
“I know,” said Scootaloo, adding a third, even larger book. “Walk around again. And this time explain the difference between a noun, a proper noun, and a pronoun.”
- Call-Back: The Diamond Dogs make a return appearance. And they're still terrified of Rarity.
- Alpha Bitch: Diamond Tiara
- Crowd Song: Justified since "The Heart Carol" is known by most of the ponies in Equestria.
- 11th-Hour Superpower: Sweetie Belle's experiments with gems and music leads to this by increasing her magical ability.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Stone the Drone.
- Excited Show Title!: A few exist, such as:
- Extreme Doormat: This is what Quiz starts as, growing out of it (somewhat) is the point of the story.
- A Friend in Need: Indy for Quizzical
- Friendless Background: Quiz had no friends until she came to Ponyville.
- Hates Small Talk: Quizzical
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted as Indy is clearly mortally wounded saving Quiz from the cave in, but Princess Luna arrives in time to heal his injuries.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Quizzical is both smart and skilled at magic. She is completely unable to recognize this about herself.
- Intangibility: Sweetie Belle's "I Want To Walk Through This Wall" spell makes patches of walls intangible, and if something is inside the intangible portion when the spell is ended, it is cut, as seen when Bon Bon "lost the tip of her tail".
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: In Thweet Geniuth: "...Then Get Out Of The Kitchen.":Chef Twist is so cute! I want to take her home with me.
- Large Ham: Princess Luna
- The Mentor: Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna, and of course Celestia for Twilight.
- Middle Child Syndrome: Quiz' older brother and younger sister are both more attractive and successful than her. As she is quick to point out to Princess Celestia.
- Mood Whiplash: the first two-thirds of the story are about Quiz learning about friendship, then she gets kidnapped by Diamond Dogs.
- Nerd Glasses: Quizz wears a pair.
- No Sense of Humor: Quizzical starts out this way, she's trying to improve. The results have been... mixed.
- One-Word Title: A few, some are:
- The Power of Friendship: It plays a major role in saving Quiz from the Diamond Dogs, helping her escape through the help of her captor, whom she befriended.
- Repetitive Name:
“Perhaps it would help if you thought of how ridiculous it really is,” said Quiz. “Consider – ‘Blitzen’ is Paarderdamen for ‘lightning.’ ‘Éclair’ is Fancy for ‘lightning.’”
- Ponyville's candy-maker, Bon Bon.
- Grand Chef Blitzen ‘Lightning’ Éclair, as explained in Chapter 14 of Thweet Geniuth:
“And his nickname’s ‘Lightning’?” exclaimed Scootaloo. “So the Grand Chef wants to be called ‘Lightning, air-quotes Lightning, Lightning’? What a doofus!”
- Shrinking Violet: when she wants to be Quiz is practically invisible.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: Quizzical, who is really good at math and magic.
- The Spock: Quiz likes numbers and rocks.
- Spock Speak: Quizzical knows what contractions are, she just can't use them.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: Pinkie Pie pops up behind Quiz while she's standing quietly in an shadowed alcove watching the room.
- The Stoic: Quiz displays very few emotionsSomepony should have advised you, thought Celestia, that when you use words such as ‘delightful’ you should try to sound as if you are delighted.
- Surprise Party: Pinkie Pie + new pony in town? Yeah this was inevitable.
- Tears of Joy: Thweet Geniuth: "And The Winner Is..." Reprise:“Princess, why are you sad?” asked Ray. “Please don’t cry.”
“These are tears of Joy, little Ray,” answered the Princess. “I am reminded of how very happy I am to be here.”
- Tele-Frag: When Bon Bon "lost the tip of her tail" when it intersected a bit of wall going tangible again, after being made intangible by Sweetie Belle's "I Want To Walk Through This Wall" spell.
- Title Drop: Done by Princess Luna:“I prefer the simple explanation,” said Luna.
“And what is that, Sister?” asked Celestia.
Luna shrugged, “Friendship is magic.”
- Torches and Pitchforks: Ponyville's "local militia" is armed with gardening tools.