Fan Fic: Purple
Purple is an Ib fanfiction by musapan, set four years after the "Promise of Reunion" ending.Ib and Garry both made it out of the gallery alive and have remained good friends since then. However, what happened in the gallery is not all behind them, as they both still have nightmares about it. Aside from that, they're happy.Then one day, the town they live in suddenly becomes twisted and strange, and all the people disappear. Ib and Garry try to figure out just what on earth is going on, until suddenly they lose each other when Ib is snatched inside a painting...
Purple provides examples of:
- A God Am I: Implied early on, what with Guertena deliberately creating his own world with the intent of having it eventually take over everything. Later on it's more explicitly stated, as when Ib tells Guertena that he has the idea of a father-daughter relationship all backwards as a father is supposed to love and support his daughter, not try to control every aspect of her life, he responds with this:Guertena: "Does not a God desire His creations to worship and praise Him?"
- And I Must Scream: Apparently being made into a painting is kind of like this.
- Back from the Dead: Mary. Apparently burning her painting caused her spirit to go inhabit a preliminary sketch of her.
- Big Bad: Guertena tried four years ago to keep Ib in the Fabricated World. Didn't work out last time, so he tried again.
- Big Damn Heroes: It seems like Ib's going to be taken away again, and Garry is restrained and helpless to do anything to help her. All hope is lost!...and then Mary, who had gone unnoticed the whole time, suddenly attacks Guertena's rose and injures him, which buys Garry and Ib time to escape.
- Chekhov's Gun: Mary makes Garry pick up a piece of charcoal and tells him about drawing one's own doors. This comes up later when while wandering around the painting world trying to get Ib's rose back, Garry realizes he still has the charcoal in his pocket. Door gets drawn.
- Damsel in Distress: Ib after she's pulled into the painting.
- Declaration of Protection: Garry declares he will protect Ib, no matter what happens. His determination to protect her is so strong that damage to her rose doesn't harm her anymore, it harms Garry instead.
- Disney Death: Garry suffers one when Guertena destroys Ib's rose. He gets better.
- Doppelgänger: When Ib and Garry return to Ib's house after discovering that things have gone strange in their town, the first thing they find is mannequins of Ib's parents. And she's been living with these mannequins for the past four years without even realizing it; her real parents are in that "Couple" painting that she and Garry saw in the gallery four years ago.
- Easily Forgiven: An odd mutual example; when Garry encounters Mary's sketch, in the ensuing conversation Garry ends up forgiving Mary for trying to kill him and Ib previously and Mary ends up forgiving Garry for setting her on fire.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Mary ends up half the sketch she used to be when her Big Damn Heroes moment tears the paper she's on.
- Heel-Face Turn: Mary.
- Heroic Sacrifice: While she was able to save Ib and Garry, Mary's attack on Guertena's rose winds up ripping her nearly in half.
- If I Can't Have You: Some of Guertena's dialogue to Ib towards the end suggests that he's going to go ahead and kill her since she hasn't been the perfect "daughter" he'd hoped for.
- Light Novel: A rare fanwork example.
- Mr. Exposition: Well, Miss Exposition, actually. Mary takes up several pages just filling Garry in on what the heck is going on.
- Paper People: No longer having her painting to inhabit, Mary's spirit now inhabits a preliminary sketch of herself. Now she's just...a piece of paper.
- Paper Master: This does not prevent her from making herself useful, however. At one point she uses herself as a weapon, when she attacks Guertena and does quite a number on his rose in order to rescue Ib and Garry. Unfortunately it only works once, she kinda cut herself in half trying that...
- Parents in Distress: Ib's parents have been trapped inside a painting. For four years.
- The Power of Love: As it turns out, the reason damage to Ib's rose hurts Garry instead of her is that Garry is so determined to protect Ib that her hurts have started transferring over to him.
- Replacement Goldfish: Guertena intends on making Ib a perfect replacement for Mary, who didn't behave like he wanted.
- Spanner in the Works: A non-foolish example. Garry is one, as Guertena never intended him to be trapped in the Fabricated World, it just somehow worked out that way and completely ruined Guertena's plans for Ib.
- Take Me Instead:
- When Garry's rose has already sustained a lot of damage and it looks like Guertena's going to kill him right now, Ib tells Guertena that she'll go with him like he wants if he'll not let Garry be harmed.
- Later on it's subverted, when Guertena captures them both and starts tearing up Ib's rose. Ib and Garry's lives are connected now and harm done to Ib's rose hurts Garry instead, so Garry's the one being killed. Ib tries to offer herself again to get Guertena to leave Garry alone, but Guertena's given up on keeping Ib by that point, so refuses her offer this time.
- Virtual Soundtrack: At various points in the story, a link is provided to music that you can listen to while reading, as a sort of soundtrack.