Fan Fic / Pretty Cure Wonderful Reading
Pretty Cure Wonderful Reading
is a Curefic by Ryanasaurus0077
with a literature thematic.
A character sheet can be found here
This Curefic contains examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of both Curefics and the Twelfth Night Adventure.
- Alice Allusion: Just look at the name of the school the Cures go to.
- Boomerang Bigot: Haruhi Midorikawa personally prefers not to wear skirts so as to discourage potential perverts, and yet she derides the Real Women Never Wear Dresses line of thinking and actually declares that she's glad that the token female on the martial arts club isn't afraid to wear skirts. As her English voice actress is British, her intense racism against the British is also this (at least in the English dub). That doesn't stop her, though, from befriending a half-British girl her age.
- Earl Tarquin is a Deliberately Bad Example; if you think Haruhi's racism is outrageous, you should try dealing with him.
- But Not Too Foreign: Haruhi is half-Japanese and half-French, and Kimiko is half-Japanese and half-British.
- The Cheerleader: Haruhi, again. Of course, she's not the first Haruhi to wear a cheerleading uniform.
- Comical Overreacting: What does Akihiko do after overhearing a sexist Real Women Never Wear Dresses-type remark (directed at both genders, yet!) before his first day at Alice Liddell Private Academy? He shows up wearing the girls' uniform. And he doesn't stop there; after joining the school's martial arts club, he draws up costume designs for himself and the rest of the club that are obviously feminine (and the one girl on the club gets dressed as a shrine maiden) and gives them to the current captain in an envelope which he then gives to the school tailor group leader without a second thought.
- Custom Uniform: And how! Alice Liddell Private Academy's school uniform has probably the most variations on it out of any school uniform in any Pretty Cure series (fanmade or canon), with its students mixing and matching with a set amount of clothes (and choosing how each part of their uniform is colored). It's even stated early on that the school has an entire team of tailors to handle those uniforms.
- Deliberately Bad Example: One of the villains, an Evil Brit called Earl Tarquin, is racist against the British and, among other things, goes on about destroying the United Kingdom by flooding it with Goat Bills (read: funny money). Even Haruhi is, to say the least, disgusted.
- Even Evil Has Standards: OK, Haruhi isn't evil, but she's racist. However, Earl Tarquin's antics are completely below her, and she sums up her disgust towards the prick thusly:
Haruhi Midorikawa: Of all the pommies I've ever come across, you, sir, are the absolute worst!
- Hair Decorations: A lot of the girls at Alice Liddell Private Academy wear a bow in their hair.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Sweet and demure half-British girl Kimiko Aoki and racist half-French cheerleader Haruhi Midorikawa.
- Megane: Akihiko, who notes that he read in the dark a bit too much when he was young.
- Modesty Shorts: Part of Haruna's school uniform.
- Noble Bigot: Haruhi really hates the British, with few exceptions. Even though she and Kimiko have been friends for years, it's established with early appearances that she has yet to overcome her hatred of the British.
- Of Corset Hurts: Haruhi's first spoken line in the series has her complain about the school uniform's corset because, and only because, it's hurting her.
Haruhi Midorikawa: For goodness sake, why did my maid have to tightlace it? Does she personally think crushed ribs are fashionable? I mean, my friend Kimiko is still able to breathe despite wearing the corset; personally, I don't mind the corset, but it shouldn't be this painful!
- Pink Means Feminine: Akihiko deliberately customized his school uniform in order to disarm anyone who got this particular idea.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Optional; the majority of Alice Liddell Private Academy's female population simply goes for Zettai Ryouiki or shorter stockings. Also, half the martial arts club wears this as part of their competition outfits.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Akihiko, a martial artist who was the captain of the martial arts club back in junior high, not only wears the girls' uniform at Alice Liddell Private Academy, he winds up choosing what he considers to be the most feminine customization of the uniform! Also, he gets all the boys on the Alice Liddell Private Academy martial arts club wearing dresses to official meets.
- Real Women Never Wear Dresses: Defied to hell and back; apart from one boy wearing the girls' uniform to combat this line of thinking (the offending remark in question was "I think that personally, not even girls should be wearing skirts anymore; they soften people up too much, both the girls and the boys!"), one of the female Cures is a Boomerang Bigot who has her own personal reasons for not wearing skirts and yet makes disparaging remarks about girls with the same line of thinking that names this trope. Per Word of God, the series itself is a backlash against this trope.
- Showgirl Skirt: One member of the martial arts club wears this. Also part of Haruna's formalwear.
- Skirt over Slacks: Haruna does this with a Showgirl Skirt as part of her formalwear.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Inverted; when he joins the martial arts club, Akihiko is pleased to see a girl in the club and declares that he's offended that more girls haven't signed up.
- Tights Under Shorts: Worn by Haruhi Midorikawa with many of her outfits, including, but not limited to, her school uniform and her cheerleading outfit.