Fan Fic: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Victory Fire
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Victory Fire
is a fan-made web comic by sulfurbunny
The comic's story begins shortly after the events of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers
and after Darkrai's
defeat at the end of that game.
However, even though Darkrai is still a major character, he no longer remains the main villain. Victini
takes over this role, having imprisoned the repentant Darkrai and is planning to use his abilities to further it's own goals.
Meanwhile, a young girl named Jen wakes up to find herself an Audino, all alone in a strange world. She is hunted by a pack of Houndoom, but manages to escape them with the help of Gengar
from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team
.After Gengar successfully blocks one of Darkrai's nightmares, he and Jen form an unlikely alliance and seek to find out why Jen became a Pokemon, with the help of Kecleon
The comic features some exceptional artwork, writing, and successfully pulls together characters and plot threads from across the Pokemon continuity.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Victory Fire contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: Jen's situation-being thrust into another world at the name of eleven.
- Anti-Villain: Darkrai and the Houndoom pack leader.
- The Atoner: Gengar, who felt that separating himself from society would make up for his past failures.
- Darkrai, who remains chained up because he's afraid of reverting back to his conditioned personality and hurting someone.
- Badass: Mewtwo as expected, who defeated both Gengar twins instinctively and apologize for it.
- Badass Grandpa : Kecleon, due to Gengar's nickname.
- Big Bad: Victini, who is using Darkrai as a front for it's scheming.
- Big Damn Heroes: Gengar saving Jen from the Houndoom pack.
- Later, the Wigglytuff Guild rescues both Jen and Gengar from the pack.
- Call Back: Practically every character and plot point is a reference to and/or elaboration on something from a previous pokemon game.
- Confusion Fu: Gengar doesn't actually know how to fight like a pokemon, instead relying on dirty tricks and improvised moves which Gengar shouldn't know (i.e. Scratch, Sand Attack...).
- Continuity Porn : The protagonist first run into Gengar who decided to live a secluded live after the event on the PMD 1. On the other side of the story, Mewtwo and N tried to hunt XD002, which later revealed to be Darkrai, the main villain from PMD 2. He is also hinted to be the same Darkrai used by Blake Hall.
- Several places like Traverse Town, Explorers Guild and Great Canyon are visited too.
- Medicham from the team Charm is Gengar's old friend.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Victini doesn't understand why Darkrai is trying not to revert back to his programmed personality, because of it's status as a Shadow Pokemon.
- Fish out of Water : As Kecleon pointed out, Jen and Gengar don't act or fight like Pokemon.
- Heel-Face Turn : Houndoom. subverted in that he is never evil in the first place
- Hidden Depths: Graveler, who initially seems cold-hearted. It turns out he just really wants to protect the other Pokemon who live in his cave.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gengar once again, with more heavy emphasis on the heart of gold part.
- Kid Hero: Jen, who is only eleven, deconstructs this trope. (especially in comparison to the protagonists of PMD.) One-She retained her memories, and Two-She never asked to become a Pokemon.
- Manipulative Bastard: Victini's plan was to portray himself as the hero protecting the scared and alone Jen from Darkrai. Unfortunately for it, Jen didn't stay alone for long enough.
- Gengar references his past as one of these, noting that the differences between pokemon and human thought patterns make them easily led.
- Mega Crossover : This fic takes plot, characters and elements from : PMD Rescue Team and Explorers, Pokemon XD, Pokemon Ranger (with the mention of Blake Hall), Pokemon Black and White (with N appearance and places like Johto and Hoenn are mentioned) so far.
- Non-Action Guy: Jen, partly from still being a kid and partly because Audino aren't terribly strong.
- Retired Badass: Kecleon, who was literally in retirement until Celebi asked for him to help Jen.
- The Reveal: Darkari and Victini are XD 002 and XD 003, respectively. N and Mewtwo have teamed up to either purify or eliminate Darkrai. The Houndoom pack leader just wants to get his pup back, and is being manipulated by Darkrai into hunting Jen.
- And then it later revealed that Jen is Lovrina's sister
- Translation Convention: As in the games, Pokémon are perfectly understandable to Jen from the get go. This doesn't mean that she or Gengar can understand other human languages, though.
- Villainous Valor: The houndoom leader rushes into battle against a freshly awakened Tyranitar to protect the others. It doesn't go well for him.