Fan Fic / Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Journal
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Journal (known as MD Journal on the author's deviantART page) is a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfiction written Tom Pokenutter.
It details the adventures of Heath, a human who wakes up one day transformed into a Pokémon, in true Mystery Dungeon style. From his awakening in a cave, he is taken in by a friendly Charmander named Kim, and starts a rescue team with an Axew named Julius. A real pity he's not actually a human, but is in fact a sentient spacial distortion that could end life as we know it if he's allowed to run around unchecked.
The fic uses first-person present-tense to give the reader an insight into Heath's head, and so that the reader is never aware of any more than Heath is.
The story can be found here
This fic contains examples of:
- The Ace: Melchior.
- Action Girl: Kim, arguably the most competent member of Team JUMP.
- Arc Words: "I awaken surrounded by darkness."
- Cypher Language: Done during a dream sequence in Entry 18. Heath can hear Palkia and the Kirlia speak, but believes them to be speaking in a different language. The cipher can be solved, however, for some spoilers of what's to come.
- Eldritch Abomination: Heath.
- Emotion Bomb: Jaroda's (and Lady Christine's) Fear Aura.
- Gender Bender: Done to the entire cast for April Fool's Day 2013. Shockingly, none of the characters seemed to notice.
- Good Is Not Nice: Jaroda, full stop.
"For some reason, he isn’t emanating his usual terrifying aura, but then it dawns on me; he has me in his pocket, Kim is scared to death of him, and Julius just wants to take jobs. He doesn’t need to terrify us."
- Jerkass: Julius, after he finds out that Heath is a Human.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Done in Entry 15 , after a long hiatus.
"Anyway, sorry about how long this took."
That came completely out of the blue. I decide to play along. "Yeah, it felt like a year, didn't it?"
He looks confused. "What are you on about?"
- Manipulative Bastard: Jaroda, who uses his Fear Aura to dig up some dirt on Heath (namely, the fact that he's a human,) and then rope him into delivering a letter.
- Mythology Gag: The Grovyle, Meowth, and Chimchar who work the Sylvan Elevator? Those are characters from an old fanfic the author never finished.
- The Reveal: Heath isn't human, and never was. He's a sentient tear in the fabric of space-time, and was created to combat another such tear.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Done by Heath in Chapter 31, in response to the Darkari Shard telling him that his mission is inherently pointless.
- ˇThree Amigos!: Both Team JUMP (Heath, Kim, and Julius,) as well as the Light Brigade (Madame Lucario/Melanie, Melchior, and Jaroda.)
- The Watson: Heath.