Fanfic: Pokédex One Shots
Started July 2008, Pokedex One-Shots is a fanfiction project by Ysavvryl to write about every single Pokémon in one short story anthology. The stories, which range from drabbles to 10 pagers, start with the flavor text of the games’ Pokedex entries and build from there. Everything else about the stories, from genre to style, will change greatly from story to story. At 200+ entries and 400+ Pokémon, there is a lot to choose from.POS started in this thread at Serebii, but is also available here at Fanfiction.net.
The anthology provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Happens quite a bit.
- Space Whale Aesop: And this pops up occasionally, like ‘Cheating on your girlfriend will cause an enraged pseudo-dragon to demolish your house’.
- A Day in the Limelight: For every single Pokemon out there
- Crossover: Some stories do this. The Bisharp, Samurott, Gothitelle, and Audino story was one with Final Fantasy.
- Non-Linear Sequel: Most of the stories are unconnected, so reading through the whole anthology feels like this.
- Prompt Fic: With the Pokedex entries acting as the prompts. Also, most of the prompts are done by requests from reviewers.
- Something Completely Different: Technically every story is different, but some more than others
- Special Guest Both the odd guest writer and occasional in-fic characters for a minor crossover.
Individual stories provide examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Zigzagoon in the Garbodor/Zigzagoon
- Brick Joke: A trainer who has a pair of Gyrados... One shiny, and is named Lisa. See Magikarp Power.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Mewtwo decides to ruin a fair because the noise and lights are keeping him from going to sleep. Never mind if people die because of this.
- Ferris Wheel of Doom: Mewtwo attempts to do this, but Mew explains why it won't work.
- Magikarp Power: A literal example, and in one of the first ones, as well. A girl named Lisa keeps a yellow Magikarp as a pet which evolves into Gyrados near the beginning. Of course, considering nobody knows that Magikarp evolve into Gyrados...
- Mind Rape: Hypno, in the 2011 Halloween special.
- Sweet Tooth: Mew eats a stick of cotton candy that's as big as herself. This doesn't end well.
- Unfortunate Names: Of the Fun with Acronyms variety, a Persian named Lord Fausto Augusto Terzetto Sagittarius Ontario the Third, provided you leave off ‘the third’.
- Then he gets nicknamed Sissy Cat
- Zombie Apocalypse: In the Chinchou/Lantern one shot.