Fan Fic / Platinum Angel
is a Chobits
fanfic, set after the series finale, in which Chii's twin sister Freya is resurrected by Abstergo Industries
and turned into a superpowered robot assassin. However, the faint memory she has of her previous life causes her to reject this, escape and then end up being taken in by a teenage boy and his sister.
While technically a crossover between Chobits
and Assassin's Creed
, the plot and premise cleaves more closely to the former. Given the events of the fic's most recent chapters as well as of Assassin's Creed III
, this work should also be considered very definitely AU where that series is concerned.
Trope page under construction; feel free to contribute more tropes as necessary.
While the one on ff.net is the main copy, the fic can also be found here
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Action Girlfriend: Freya. Definitely. And Chii when she is controlled by her sister.
- Actor Allusion: In chapter 11, Freya can be noticed singing Lacus Clyne's 'Fields of Hope'. Both Lacus and Freya (and Chii) are voiced by Rie Tanaka.
- Anti-Villain: Daniel Cross and most of his subordinates count as this.
- Arc Number: So far, 9.
- The Atoner: Daniel, who still tries to adhere to the Assassin's Creed despite his (however unwilling) betrayal of the Assassin Order.
- Amazon Brigade: All the female persocoms can defend themselves and others spectacularly well.
- Big Brother Mentor: A villainous example in Daniel Cross, whose idea of getting to his target is to recruit her boyfriend into their ranks and train him.
- Body Snatcher: But at first it seems like People Puppets, until Chii totally becomes unconscious and Freya takes over her body fully.
- Broken Bird: Being turned into the most dangerous persocom in the world did not leave Freya in good shape.
- Carnival of Killers: What they send to retrieve Freya of course.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The fic starts out with the familiar, lighthearted tone that Chobits was known for, but gradually shifts to the darker, more serious mood of Assassin's Creed as the story progresses.
- Continuity Lockout: May induce this in readers with no knowledge of Assassin's Creed. Browsing the Assassin's Creed Wiki may help.
- Continuity Nod: Contains several, for Assassin's Creed as well as Chobits.
- Freya's inherited combat skills come from combat data derived from the Animus Virtual Training Program - more specifically, from the Animus sessions of the Abstergo agents as seen in the multiplayer mode.
- The one responsible for upgrading and enhancing Freya is/was acquainted with Warren Vidic, the creator of the Animus. Also, the man assigned to hunt down and capture/eliminate Freya is Daniel Cross, the same man responsible for the near-decimation of the Assassin Order.
- The hidden blades used by Demeter are detachable, similar to those used by Connor and Haytham Kenway.
- For that matter, Freya's weapon loadout as of chapter 39 mirrors that of Edward Kenway.
- Rei's favorite Animus Avatar is Vali cel Tradat, otherwise known as The Sentinel.
- The events of the anime, such as Kojima's kidnapping of Chii, are referenced here and there.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Happens all the time in connection to any battle Freya is even remotely in. And considering the amazing fact that she could also pull this off while remotely controlling Chii, who, by the way, doesn't have any of her enhancements or weapons, it's pretty clear. YMMV, but some of these could also fall under Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- This also counts for Ceres and Demeter as well. Those two are pretty scary.
- Draco in Leather Pants: In-universe example overlapping with Evil Is Cool: Rei finds appeal in The Sentinel's backstory as a Tragic Villain.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Zima to Dita, multiple times. Cue Luminescent Blush.
- Evil Counterpart: Daniel to Freya, both having been taken by Abstergo against their will and then tampered with in order to serve their purposes. However, where Daniel eventually joined them, Freya instead rebelled violently.
- Expy: Reina is an obvious one for Nena Trinity and, to a lesser extent, Flay Allster, while also containing hints of Marida Cruz in her backstory.
- Fights Like a Normal: Freya, who fights almost exclusively using her hidden blades and the usual Assassin-esque repertoire of counter kills and executions, despite having access to both Super Speed and Combat Tentacles hidden in her ears. Also applies when she possesses Chii, though in that case it's less this and more Badass Normal considering that while Freya's fragment comes with all her skills, her enhancements don't carry over.
- For Want of a Nail: Daniel's characterization in the fic essentially assumes that he regretted and/or resented having been turned into Abstergo's Manchurian Agent, not to mention his betrayal of the Assassins. This is especially apparent where, unlike what canonically happens, he spares Hannah when he raids their hideout.
- I Just Want to Be Normal and What Have I Become?: Freya. Ironically, this does not stop her from slaughtering everyone in her way during her escape from Abstergo.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: Which leads to...
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: With the exception of the prologue, all the chapters have so far been titled after a phrase found in the chapters themselves.
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Mainly from Assassin's Creed: The Fall, specifically pertaining to Daniel and his backstory, with a few from the main games as well. One chapter even makes reference to characters like Subject 16, while also giving away certain spoilers about Ezio Auditore's story arc.
- Mama Bear: Freya and Ceres
- Motherly Scientist: Chitose Hibiya. Kotoko also becomes one later on.
- Ninja Maid: In the story it was sorta- kinda with this trope. It was a shocker, but Ceres really can make you go running and screaming.
- Her sister Demeter also fits this trope, the only difference between them so far pertaining to weapon preference.
- As of the most recent chapters, Yuzuki also fits.
- Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi are anti-villainous takes on this trope.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Freya fits this two out of four, being a persocom programmed with lifetimes of Assassin training. The 'zombie' part might also fit, given the fact that she already 'died' once and was 'reborn'.
- Not So Different: Freya thinks to herself she might not be so different from Abstergo, considering she massacred the scientists responsible for what she was turned into.
- Older and Wiser: Kojima, who despite having joined Abstergo and created Freya's Evil Counterpart also Took a Level in Kindness. Daniel may or may not also count.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Aside from the canon examples Freya and Elda (Chii), the Assassin Order also seems to name its persocoms after figures in Classical Mythology. The only exceptions so far are Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, and even then they may still count, having been named after figures in Japanese Mythology.
- Robot Girl: It's Chobits. What did you expect?
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Ceres is a Cold Sniper whose Weapon of Choice happens to be a Hand Cannon, while her twin sister is instead a Knife Nut. Freya for that matter is a superpowered robot assassin, in contrast to the usually gentle, innocent and childlike Chii.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Freya and Ceres respectively tend to be calmer and more introspective than their more emotional, outgoing and carefree siblings.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Only half of the pairing in question is an actual schoolgirl, though. The other half happens to be a certain gunslinging, Ninja Maid persocom.
- Shipper on Deck: Demeter is happily supportive of her sister's relationship with another girl, and even exercises what she calls her prerogative as the older sibling to tease and embarrass her about it.
- Shout-Out: to Cyborg 009 so far, what with Freya's serial number and her use of the eponymous cyborg's Acceleration Mode. Also see Actor Allusion above.
- Itachi Yukishiro is an obvious Shout-Out to Naruto. In fact, his persocoms Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi are named after the signature techniques used by his namesake.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Freya's fragment serves as this when possessing Chii. Just like in the anime, though, she's not so much evil as she is fiercely protective of her sister. Also somewhat subverted, as Freya in Chii's body is still weaker than she would be in her actual body despite having the exact same skills, if only because Chii's body lacks Freya's enhancements.
- Super Prototype: Freya was already this in canon. Abstergo's upgrades take it Up to 11.
- Flawed Prototype / Gone Horribly Right: They wanted to create an uber-powerful persocom assassin, and they did. It's just that the persocom in question reacted rather violently to what they turned her into...
- The One Guy: Rei to an extent. Most of his friends are girls, and then you add Freya, plus Chii, Ceres, and Demeter.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Freya and Chii, Ceres and Demeter.
- Took a Level in Badass: Played for Drama.
- The Unfettered: A character lampshades that since Freya isn't technically an Assassin, despite having been programmed with Assassin skills, she wouldn't be likely to bind herself by the Assassin's Creed. Earlier on, Freya even shows shades of this when she considers lashing out at obnoxious but otherwise innocent people she believed responsible for Rei's accident.
- Weak, but Skilled: Freya's fragment retains all her skills while possessing Chii, but the lack of enhancements force her to fight more carefully than usual.
- Weapon of Choice: Freya's dual hidden blades. Ironic, considering that the Hidden Blade was an Assassin weapon, and the ones running Abstergo happen to be the sworn enemies of the Assassin Order.
- World of Action Girls: The fic appears to be taking this direction.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: One wild guess.