Fanfic: Planktons Eye View
official cover artPlankton's Eye View
is a Spongebob Squarepants Fan Fic
by Monica Gilbey-Bieber
, the same Troll
who brought you the Troll Fic One Less Lonely Gurl
. It is a story that revolves around Plankton and the events that happened in Bikini Bottom ten years after The Movie
. Unlike its predecessor, however, it is actually a serious, well-written
You can read it here
. It is now complete.
Plankton's Eye View contains examples of:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Appears in Chapter 2, where one of the contests held by Neptune is called "Short Story Seasons."
- Alliterative Title: Appears in two chapter names: Stanley's Scrap Shop (Chapter 5) and Pesto and Pests (Chapter 11).
- All Just a Dream: C'ren, shown in chapter 1.
- Afterlife Express: The Flying Dutchman's ship
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Plankton, when he described One Less Lonely Gurl's plot.
- Completed Fic
- Costume Porn: Mr. Krabs's opulent new outfit.
- Darker and Edgier: This story has a more somber tone in contrast to the usually silly canon. A review even referenced this trope in describing the story.
- Determinator: Plankton, but no longer in his pursuit of the Krabby Patty Formula but for the forgiveness of an old friend, who is no other than Mr. Krabs. This also marks Plankton's Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Driven to Suicide: Plankton, after seeing everyone become a success in the ten years he was imprisoned.
- Epiphanic Prison: This is the 'bigger prison' that Neptune sent Plankton to in Chapter 2.
"You are still a prisoner in yourself. You may have been let out of this tiny cubicle you have learned to call home for a decade, but you are still also a prisoner in the world. All the bitterness you have in you right now will continue to confine you. I'm simply moving you to a bigger prison. Freedom is nothing but illusion to you…"
- Fate Worse Than Death: Plankton being set free from his prison but is made to see everyone become a success and him remain a failure.
- Fictional Document: Plankton is shown reading One Less Lonely Gurl in the second chapter, and the last chapter reveals that the in-universe writer of the story is Fred Rechid. There is also a fictional explanation in the chapter about how the pseudonym Monica Gilbey-Bieber came to be. Also, the newspapers that Plankton read in the fanfic, making him learn of Mr. Krabs getting a heart attack. This twists the whole plot of the story, making Plankton want to go back to Bikini Bottom and apologize to Mr. Krabs for one last time before he dies.
- Glorious Mother Russia: C'ren's 'reality sequence' (Chapter 1 of this fanfic) takes place in Russia. In the fanfic, Russia wasn't accurately portrayed, possibly because of Satire purposes.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: There are no swear words in this story, except probably for Neptune-damned, which is an alternate form of "goddamned." Also, there is just one instance of an actual swear appearing, where C'ren says the word goddamned.
- The Grim Reaper: The Flying Dutchman
- He Was With You All Along: Guess.
- Heel-Face Turn: Plankton. This is basically what the plot is about.
- Heel Realization: Plankton realizes that conquering the world is not as appealing as it used to be and turns over a new leaf for real.
- Hell: Davy Jones's Locker
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Plankton and Howard, the Original Character. Howard is the guy who will help Plankton on his mission to redeem himself.
- Last Episode Theme Reprise: The song 'The Best Day Ever' is performed in the last chapter.
- Near Death Experience: Plankton was given a second chance by the Flying Dutchman after his suicide attempt.
- The Nothing After Death: Plankton floats around in an endless expanse of black space after he commits suicide in the incinerator. This trope gets subverted though when a green, floating cube suddenly appears.
- Oh Crap! There Are Fanfics of Us...: Plankton reading One Less Lonely Gurl and remarking on how disturbing it was.
- Out of Character: Plankton, but this is justified because of the plot. Ten years can change anyone.
- Perspective Flip: Even the title states that this is a story told from the main villain of Spongebob Squarepants. The story is founded on this very trope, along with Heel-Face Turn.
- Psychopomp: The Flying Dutchman
- Pun: Plankton refers to his meals in jail as breakfast, lunch, and suffer.
- Purple Prose: Most of the story is written like this, but it is well-done and enhances the descriptions of the sceneries. Despite the poetic way it was written and its use of sophisticated wording, it is still quite understandable.
- Reformed, but Rejected: Plankton when he apologizes to Mr. Krabs for the first time. This prompts him to leave Bikini Bottom in order to escape the past and start anew.
- Scenery Porn: Unlike the usual costume porn found in most fanfics, this fanfic has mostly this. The author describes the settings of the story in vivid detail.
- Shout-Out: The fanfic has shoutouts to Twilight and My Immortal in Chapter 2 in reference to the yearly Worst Writing Contest Neptune hosted since he read what seemed to be a Twilight book, which Plankton describes as 'the blasted love story about a human and a vampire.' This can also be considered a Take That, as the author himself has admitted to hating Twilight. My Immortal here was described as 'that 'story' of a 'beautiful' girl with black, red, and purple hair who cursed the world for making her too beautiful, described what she wore in vivid detail in every chapter, and despised anyone who isn't like her.' This was most likely done to balance out the otherwise overly serious tone of the story. There is also a Blink182 shoutout at the end of Chapter 1. There are a couple of references to The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron; one of them is a reference to roadkill ripple, a dessert found in the evil cloned earth, and another is Spongebob and Sandy's son being named "JimJam", one of Hugh's nicknames for Jimmy.
- The Reveal: Howard isn't really an Original Character, but a rudimentary body for Mr. Krabs's soul.
- Triumphant Reprise: The song 'The Best Day Ever' is performed in the final chapter of the story. In the movie, which was supposed to be the series finale, the same song is also played in the credits. In this fanfic, Plankton then muses about his success and the lessons he has learned from his life. The performance was also described as bombastic, and includes a clarinet solo from Squidward.
- Villain Protagonist: Plankton. He is a villain in the canon, but here, he is presented in a whole new manner.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: An interesting variation here; in this fanfic, this trope is applied to the first chapter, which details what happened to C'ren. Another one is seen in the third chapter, where Plankton sees the success of everyone. Basically, all the characters of the canon except for Plankton finally achieved their goals. This can be considered, in a way, an epilogue of the canon.
- You Are Not Alone: Plankton and Howard both reference this trope when talking to each other about life.