Fan Fic / No Dawn No Day
Main story here. Complete timeline, with side stories, here.No Dawn, No Day
is a Batman
fanfic by Quipquipquip, revolving around Damian Wayne and Stephanie Brown. Several years after the death of Bruce Wayne and disappearance of Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne attempts to live up to his father's example as Batman, while Stephanie Brown, as Batwoman, tries to keep him stable.
No Dawn, No Day contains examples of the following tropes:
- Anyone Can Die: Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Dick Grayson (missing, presumed dead), Killer Croc. In the Bad Ending: Stephanie Brown (and her unborn child), Dr. Zsasz, and Barbara Gordon.
- Babies Ever After: the good end. full stop.
- Bad Ending: The story's original ending.
- Crucified Hero Shot: bad end.
- Cute Kitten: Alfred mark II
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Both Crystal Brown and Bruce Wayne are dead. On the other hand, Talia and Cluemaster live.
- Deal with the Devil: After Bruce died, Damian made one to prevent the same thing from happening to him.
- Downer Ending: the aforementioned bad end.
- Foreshadowing: "Living, you're allelopathic. Everything around you withers up and dies—-and that's not your fault. You got that from your father. It's a shame, really."
- Golden Ending: the aforementioned good end.
- Legacy Character: Aside from Damian and Steph, there's Beryl Hutchinson (Knightess), Iris West (The Flash) and Milagro Reyes (Green Lantern)
- Not to mention all the scads of children in the good end.
- Terry as Batman, Laila as Robin and then Nightwing, and Caddoc as Superman.
- Likes Older Women: Jason notices it's a running trend with the male Robins.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Damian doesn't exactly function well without Stephanie.
- Plucky Woman: Steph has always been full of pluck.
- Ruleof Three:
- Steph gets taken forcibly out of the field in the bad end three times: once, with Black Mask; again, when beaten half to death by Killer Croc's men; and finally, with Zsasz. In the good end, it's the first two and then she permanently benches herself because twins are coming.
- In the good end, Damian and Steph have three kids.
- Steph has three important adult romantic relationships in her life - Cass, Kara and Damian.
- In the bad end, Steph gets invited three times to leave Damian. Once by Tim, once by Jason, once by Harley.
- Damian attempts murder on three people before starting his descent to what he becomes in the bad end. He almost kills a rapist, he kills Killer Croc, and he kills Zsasz.
- Steph leaves Damian three times. Once to go visit Tim, once to talk to Jason, and once after their fight. Each time, it radically changes their relationship.
- Ship Tease: ho snap. Where to begin?
- Shout-Out to Shakespeare
- Puck, in the good end. He even speaks in iambic tetrameter.
- Stuffed in the Fridge: Debatable. Kitty argues that it's not quite a fridging, because it freezes Damian's character instead of advancing him. But in that end, Steph's still dead.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Damian is, shall we say, less strict about this than Bruce, and one of Steph's challenges is to keep him from going off the deep end.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Damian. so much.
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Stephanie isn't exactly thrilled to hear Jason claim how well she "gets him" when she breaks down Bruce's psyche, pinpoints exactly why he couldn't handle the superhero grey zones that Jay, Steph and Damian represented, and strikes a truce between the Red Hood and the Bats over milkshakes. They actually bond proper in the Good End, with Jason being the one she calls for help most often after Damian.