The New Look series is a series of Fan Fics
by author Shinnok Raiden 99
, often shortened to Shinnok Raiden or simply Shinnok. The series is a variety of one-shot stories revolving around a character being forcibly dressed as the opposite sex
through a variety of methods. The series is currently posted on three main sites: FanFiction.Net
The current entries in the series are:
- Sonic's New Look: Rouge-ified and Sonic's New Look: Rouge-ified 1.5.
- Ash's New Look: Salon Rockét.
- Trunks' New Look: Babysitting.
- Joe's New Look: Sexy Joe and Viewtiful Silvia.
- Link's New Look: Playing Princess.
- Naruto's New Look.
- Sanji's New Look: Anything For Love.
- Fuyuki's New Look: F.A.N.S.E.R.V.I.C.E.
- Ben's New Look: Mallrats.
Tropes in this series include:
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: M4k30v3r, who pays no attention to Sonic's endless efforts to make it clear he isn't Rouge. It's likely Rouge herself programmed M4k30v3r that way in case of intruders.
- Adaptation Expansion: One sentence and one drawing were the basis for Sonic’s New Look, which so far compasses two full stories.
- Ass Kicks You: Joe send one of Big John’s men flying directly to the latter’s face, using nothing but his hips.
- Attractive Bent Gender: Ash’s disguise is good enough to make him a “beautiful fair maiden” in the eyes of girl-obsessed Brock.
- Badly Battered Babysitter: Suffice to say that after everything Trunk endures in "Trunks’ New Look", he never takes a babysitting job again.
- Beat Them at Their Own Game: Big John tries to roast Joe by throwing flames at him; Joe leaps into the air and Big John’s own men get burned instead.
- Beware the Nice Ones: The usually warm and sweet Princess Peach gives Young Link a Death Glare once she finds out he snuck on her room without permission. Albeit not apparent to the boy, she’s cooking up revenge from that point onwards.
- Big Fancy House: What little we know about the Smash Mansion points out to it being this, if not a Cool House; every Smasher in the house has their rooms specifically designed to suit their individual tastes, and prior to their arrival too. For instance, Young Link’s is a nearly identical copy of his tree house from the Kokiri Forest.
- Calling Your Attacks: A fond habit of Viewtiful Joe.
- Casual Danger Dialog: Silvia tells Joe how to use his new combat form as the latter’s fighting against a T-Rex and his troops. Lampshaded. "We’re in the middle of a combat, you dam crossdresser!"
- Combat Stilettos: Joe has to deal with them will fighting Big John.
- Curiosity Is a Crapshoot: Both Sonic and Young Link ended in their respective predicaments because they couldn’t resist exploring a girl’s room.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Quite literally; unbeknown to Joe, using Zoom while in Sexy form unleashes a seductive pose on his part, which leaves Big John’s men infatuated, and therefore, open to attack.
- Don't Make Me Take My Belt Off: What’s the thing Young Link fears the most in the world? A spanking from Princess Zelda. Apparently a Falcon Punch to the face is nothing compared to getting spanked by her.
- Dragged Into Drag: The series' main theme.
- Dumb Struck: Vegeta’s shock at the end of "Trunks’ New Look" messes up his gift of speech badly. He quickly snaps out of it, though.
- Enfant Terrible: Tiny!Trunks and Tiny!Goku show no mercy for their babysitter….Future!Trunks.
- Forceful Kiss: Vegeta does this to his "wife". *
- Giant Poofy Sleeves: The trope is described almost exactly by name in the story; they’re part of Princess Peach’s dresses.
- Girls Have Cooties: Played With; Silvia refuses to put on Joe’s battle suit, finding the idea of her wearing male clothes scandalous. As Joe’s already unwillingly wearing Silvia’s garments, he ain’t happy with her reaction.
- Goofy Print Underwear: The final nail on the coffin of Ash’s male dignity; Pikachu Panties.
- Hates Baths: Sonic’s fear of water is bad as it is, and a set of mechanical hands pushing his head down a girly bathtub doesn’t exactly help matters.
- Heroic BSOD: Vegeta after finding out he has mistakenly given his son a passionate tongue kiss, with a couple of blood vessels bursting in the process.
- How We Got Here: Trunks’ New Look begins with the titular character wondering how the hell he ended up putting on his mother’s kinky dress and makeup. It’s a valid concern.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: [victim]'s New Look: [title]
- Idiot Ball: Ash thought a place named “Salon Rocket” was a bit suspicious and entered to investigate. He then sees Team Rocket with a Paper-Thin Disguise and asks if they have met before.
- Inn Between The Worlds: The Smash Mansion, where every member of the Super Smash Bros. series (and hence, Nintendo characters from wildy varying universes) co-exist.
- I Shall Taunt You: Inverted; an unwillingly crossdressed Joe accidentally flashes his panties at Big John, who isn’t amused and takes it as a provocation. It’s all a mistake; surely the least thing Joe intended was to appear in the field of battle wearing his girlfriend’s clothes.
- It Amused Me: Why the boys Trunks babysits blackmail him into dressing on his mother’s Playboy Bunny outfit and doing their chores. They also hide his clothes prior they go to sleep, forcing him to stay like that ‘till next morning.
- Kick Chick: Joe becomes one after acquiring his girlfriend’s combat form by mistake.
- Left Hanging: Young Link's New Look, which was meant to be twice as long. Only the first half has been uploaded.
- Lemony Narrator: Frequent in the series and at full force in Young Link's story: "And she was right; he did feel pretty. Pretty sure he was going to vomit..."
- Letters 2 Numbers: M4k30v3r, Rouge’s beauty machine.
- Mr. Exposition: M4k30v3r, who is gentle enough to explain Sonic everything it’ll put him through and why. Being a machine may justify this.
- Mythology Gag: Shinnok’s understanding of the universes he handles leave us with plenty of these, such as Sonic’s hydrophobia or Ash’s memories of the Ashley incident.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished:
"Mother, I'm you son. You don't have to pay me for something like this. He smiled happily at her. “I’ll do it for free”
And thus his fate was sealed.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Peach.
- Open Mouth, Insert Foot: Young Link will teach the reader how to get in trouble using this trope.
- Other Me Annoys Me: Trunks babysits his past self, who proceeds to make life hell for him…self.
- Panty Shot: Joe unwillingly gives Big John and his men a great view of his…eh, his girlfriend’s unmentionables, which he’s currently wearing. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: True to tradition, Team Rocket.
- Playboy Bunny: The outfit Future Trunks is forced to wear in Trunks' New Look. Of note is that it's his mother's. Upcoming trauma for Trunks, coming up!
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Princess Peach, no surprise here. Bonus points for her room’s door being pink too. Oddly enough, her room’s wallpaper is pale blue.
- Right Behind Me: It’s too bad Young Link doesn’t have eyes on his neck; if he had he wouldn't have pretended to be Princess Peach, mockingly, as she witnessed the whole act.
- Shown Their Work: All of the stories approach its starring universe in a way that'll satisfy its fans, with well-conceived characterizations and a healthy amount of mythology gags.
- Spit Take: It leads Trunks to waste a perfectly good gulp of beer, shame.
- The Nudifier: Meowth’s Fury Swipes it’s a versatile attack, useful to battle pokémons and strip twerps all the same.
- The Password Is Always Swordfish: Subverted in Sonic’s New Look. To enter Rouge’s room, Sonic nervously suggests the unlikely “All the world's gems are mine to keep" …The door opens.
- Time Travel: Trunks goes back in time to check on his friends’ well-being after a battle with Cell. Little did he know what would fall upon him for being so thoughtful.
- Villains Out Shopping: The Team Rocket’s working honestly at the beginning of Ash’s New Look. Then they spot their young enemy and it’s back to their old ways.
- We Will Not Use Photoshop in the Future: Trunks is blackmailed with a fake photo that depicts him kissing Gohan’s girlfriend. Despite havin’ a time machine at his disposal, he surrenders into submission.