Bon Bon's voice is funny, and that's about all that anypony who meets her notices, as her marefriend Lyra soon steals the spotlight with her explosive personality, strange obsessions, and curious beliefs. And why not? Bon Bon is, after all, a perfectly ordinary, boring pony in every way but two: her voice, and the carefully kept secret that she isn't really a pony.
Mendacity is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
by Dromicosuchus. It can be read here
. It retells the story of A Canterlot Wedding
from the point of view of beloved background characters
Lyra and Bon Bon.
- Bindle Stick: Bon Bon uses one of these, despite the logistical problems.
- Blessed with Suck: The Bugul Noz explains that Discord created the Fae this way, as a joke.
- Chekhov's Gun: Bugganes, Bon Bon's iron poker, and Lyra's Fing-er, to name a few so far.
- Cold Iron: Bon Bon tries not to let it in the house and can't wear iron shoes.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Not tea, but a reasonably polite conversation with an entity who refers to Discord as its nephew.
- Deadpan Snarker: Bon Bon and Aldrovanda spend much of their time together trying to out-snark each other.
- Edible Ammunition: Bread is one of the many things that repels the Fae.
- Eldritch Location: The homeland of the Fae, Tir na Nog, is an extradimensional space made of stolen time.
- Also, the swamp around the Canterhorn is unnaturally natural, thanks to the Bugul Noz's influence.
- The Fair Folk: Changelings, kelpies, and the rest of the Fae.
- Gentle Giant: The Bugul Noz.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The changeling Queen Chrysalis is an important antagonist, as in the episode on which this story is based.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Bon Bon.
- Insecure Love Interest: After her hidden nature puts Lyra in danger, Bon Bon is convinced Lyra will be better off without her.
- Interspecies Romance: Lyra and Bon Bon, although Lyra doesn't seem to realize it.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Bon Bon's voice, as part of a Mythology Gag.
- Jerk Ass: Almost all of the Fae, and Aldrovanda in particular.
- Large Ham: Aldrovanda.
- Lower Deck Episode: The fic retells the Season 2 finale from the point of view of a fan-favorite background character.
- Mind-Control Eyes: Changeling mind-control produces these.
- Mix-and-Match Critter: The Bugul Noz looks like Discord taken Up to Eleven.
- Mythology Gag: Lyra's "Fing-er" is this, as well as a Chekhov's Gun. Similarly, Bon Bon's inability to control her voice.
- Notable Original Music: "The Wind and the Wanderer," an in-universe folk song written for the fic and performed by the author's mother, a professional folk singer.
- Painting the Medium: The narration describes the realm of Faerie in long paragraphs of run-on sentences, distinct from the rest of the story.
- Poor Communication Kills: Bon Bon is very aware that her refusal to tell Lyra the truth puts her in danger.
- The Power of Love: How Bon Bon helps Lyra to resist Chrysalis' Glamour, and what the reader knows will eventually defeat Chrysalis.
- Reality Warper: The Fae are this, and the Bugul Noz is the exact opposite.
- Red Right Hand: Aldrovanda can't alter her eyes when she shapeshifts.
- Rousing Speech: Done by Aldrovanda, suprisingly.
- Shout-Out: One of the... things... that Bon Bon sees when she almost passes into Faerie appears to be a ponyfied Slender Man.
- Shown Their Work: The fic incorporates numerous references to real-world mythology and folklore.
- Slasher Smile: In Chapter 4.
Aldrovanda: Far be it from me to criticize your face, by the by, but honestly I think I prefer it when you scowl at me. That smile is positively unnerving. Iím willing to take your impeccable dental care on faith, you know. You donít have to show me every last incisor.
- Summon Bigger Fish: Bon Bon's solution to Chrysalis? A buggane.
- Tempting Fate: Happens to Bon Bon often enough that she is utterly unsurprised to find out that the universe literally does have it out for her.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Many of the Fae are able to do this. Bon Bon has never been much good at it.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The Fae are vulnerable to "the most common metal in the world" and to "randomly chosen plants, creatures, and objects".
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Bon Bon's attitude toward her Fae heritage.
- You Called Me X, It Must Be Serious: Aldrovanda usually calls Bon Bon by her Fae name Mendax. She only calls her Bon Bon when she's really desperate to get her attention.