Fan Fic / Meet The Suzumiyas
Meet the Suzumiyas
is a fanfic written by JonBob0008
and is the most reviewed Haruhi Suzumiya
fanfic as of now.
Kyon's father has been transferred away for his job, and Kyon must move away. However, soon an opportunity comes up for him to stay and continue interacting with the SOS Brigade: He can stay with Haruhi. But, not only does this mean Kyon will live in the same house as our favourite hyperactive reality warper
, he will also be staying with her parents: the sweet but spacy (and relatively eccentric) Naru
and the highly abrasive Oruki
Tropes in this fic include:
- Big Damn Kiss: The freefalling kiss at the end.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Both Haruhi AND Kyon, at various times.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Naru
- Deus ex Machina: See Freudian Excuse.
- Dude, He's Like, Sleeping: So Haruhi thought, anyway.
- Empathic Environment: The weather responds to Haruhi's moods. Especially in her own closed space.
- Expy: Shino, one of the characters from the Omake explaining how Oruki and Naru met, bears multiple similarities to Youhei Sunohara.
- Extra-Strength Masquerade: Haruhi seems to see nothing strange about the world-recreating closed space she puts herself in at the end.
- Extreme Doormat: A common criticism of the fic is that it turns Kyon into this, making him Out of Character.
- Fanservice: Invoked by the mud-wrestling fundraiser.
- Freudian Excuse: Kyon uses his crush on his cousin who eloped as one.
- Lack of Empathy: Oruki, frequently, and Haruhi at times. This is one of the fic's more prevalent criticisms.
- Jerkass: Oruki. Although he does show moments of humanity, so it's perhaps best to describe him as a Jerk with a Heart of Bronze.
- Karma Houdini: Oruki mercilessly beats around Kyon around a few times at the dojo, labeling it as training, in addition to delivering an example of the trope below onto him after he discovers the SOS Brigade. He does get some comeuppance later.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Oruki really lets Kyon have it after he finds out about the SOS Brigade.
- Oh, Crap!: Often. Particularly when Kyon hears Haruhi ascending the staircase as he's reading her diary.
- Older Than They Look: Oruki and Naru, according to Kyon.
- Original Character: Naru and Oruki. Interestingly, the notion of Naru being much like Haruhi's canonical mother at all was swiftly Jossed by Surprise; Haruhi mentions her mother to be a working mother and a Lethal Chef.
- Patchwork Kids: Inverted, as Naru and Oruki are based directly on facets of Haruhi.
- Recursive Fanfiction: The Observations of Damon Rizuela.
- Secret Diary: Haruhi keeps one on her computer.
- Sequel Hook: The alien data lodged in Kyon's brain.
- Shout-Out: Kyon's "penalty" during the mud-wrestling tournament, to Suzumiya Haruhi no Seitenkan.
- Sitting on the Roof
- Supreme Chef: Naru.
- Timed Mission: Kyon is given one month to find a place to live.
- He also has a very limited amount of time to find Haruhi in her closed space, before it rejects him.