We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Fan Fic: Little Black Death Note
Little Black Death Note
is a Harry Potter
and Death Note crossover
. Just as Harry goes to face Voldemort for the final battle the Dark Lord suddenly dies of a heart attack. Feeling more than a little confused and cheated at this turn of events Harry returns to school at Hogwarts where he meets the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher—one with big plans for the Wizarding World and for Harry himself.
Provides Examples Of:
- Above Good and Evil: Raito/Kira considers himself to be such though he knows that if the Wizards knew what he was up to the pathetic fools would not understand and would classify him as "Dark".
- Alas, Poor Villain: Harry almost feels sorry for Voldemort's sudden and inglorious end. Also Draco is a mess after his father's death. Sure his father was an asshole but he still loved him.
- Alternate Universe Fic
- Amazingly Embarrassing Mentor: Hondo Marukai to Raito.
- Ambiguous Situation: Dumbledore hiring Raito as the Defense Teacher. Is Dumbledore under Kira's control? Has he gone senile? Does he see his younger self or Grindewald in Raito? Or is he fully aware of what's going on and doing some scheming of his own? (Dumbledore's trademarked eye-twinkle suggests this.) Also Raito's apprenticeship with Hondo Marukai. Who is really in control of the situation? Raito finds Marukai's evil distasteful but is he really so far gone he doesn't care about his mentor's gruesome hobbies (for which he would normally reward with a heart attack) or is he abstaining from killing Marukai because 1) he CAN'T, Marukai is just too powerful 2) Marukai is useful to him, or 3) is Raito merely waiting to get powerful enough to surpass and kill Marukai?
- Ambiguously Evil: Raito, he hasn't yet gotten around to doing many of those vague nasty things he's planning on doing seeing as he's been concentrating on grading papers. The text claims that despite the Moral Event Horizon he crosses in Back Story, Kira still isn't "evil" merely "justice-driven" though this may be a case of Unreliable Narrator.
- Artifact of Doom: The Death Note and the Red Book of Antonio La Grazia.
- Ascended Extra: Blaise Zabini
- Asexual: Raito, though that doesn't stop him from using his body in his schemes.
- Asian and Nerdy: Raito Yagami
- Asshole Victim: Lord Voldemort, Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, all of the other Death Eaters, and Uchiha Itachi.
- Badass Bookworm: Raito Yagami, Blaise Zabini, Severus Snape
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Kira killing Voldemort, and team Slytherin begins investigating Raito Yagami and Hondo Marukai.
- Better to Die Than Be Killed: Raito is well aware he's playing a dangerous game and considers that in the unlikely event that he is caught and the wizards figure out what he's up to he might just get one of his Shinigami to write his own name in the notebook rather than hang around and wait for the many nasty Fates WorseThan Death the wizards could and would inflict upon him.
- Bigger Bad: Hondo Marukai
- Black and Nerdy: Blaise Zabini
- Black Best Friend: Blaise to Draco.
- Black Comedy: the whole premise of Raito Yagami teaching at Hogwarts is Played for Laughs.
- Black Widow: Mrs. Zabini
- Blank Book: the Red Book except to those who have gained ownership of it.
- The Bluebeard: Raito, considering his relationship track record: in Back Story he manipulated and killed L and then Misa.
- Broken Ace: Raito
- Canon Welding: Raito's magical heritage.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Blaise Zabini
- Coitus Uninterruptus: When Snape, Draco, and Blaise walk in on a monk with a veela.
- Cool Teacher: Raito and Remus.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Raito with Harry.
- Crapsack World: What do you expect? It's a Crossover between Harry Potter and Death Note.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Draco becomes jealous of the time Harry spends training with Raito.
- Cross Over
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Hondo Marukai on the surface he seems like a harmless (though embarassing) old man when actually he is a villain far more evil and dangerous than Raito and he is so powerful if he had a mind to he could destroy Hogwarts with a thought.
- The Dark Side: used by Raito and Marukai
- Dating Catwoman: Harry and Draco as well as Remus and Raito.
- Dead Fic: Sadly it's been discontinued.
- Deadpan Snarker: Blaise Zabini
- Demoted to Extra: Ryuk. Raito left him with Marukai after he somehow acquired another Shinigami that is easier to boss around.
- Detect Evil: Blaise Zabini has this ability. He could sense when Voldemort was around and now he's sensing that something's not quite right about Professor Yagami.
- Determinator: Raito. No matter what he's going to read that book.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Raito. Indeed the only ones to see through his act are Marukai, Snape, Draco, and Blaise.
- Diabolus Ex Machina
- The Dragon: Karee to Raito, Raito also seems intent on having Harry be one for him as well.
- Dirty Old Man: Hondo Marukai
- Dungeon Crawling: Snape, Draco, and Blaise do this when searching for any leads on Antonio La Grazia.
- Earthquake Machine: the Red Book shows it's potential destructive power when Raito gains ownership of it by causing a massive earthquake under Hogwarts Castle.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Kira is secretly disgusted with Marukai.
- Evil Counterpart: Hondo Marukai is Raito Yagami's eviler counterpart.
- Evil Detecting Werewolf: Lupin immediately becomes freaked out around Marukai because he reeks of death.
- Evil Mentor: Raito to Harry and Marukai to Raito.
- False Friend: Raito to everyone.
- Faux Affably Evil: Raito
- Fingore: Raito burns his hands the first time he tries and fails to read the Red Book.
- For the Evulz: Raito/Kira is making his bid to take over the wizarding world merely because he got bored with ruling the muggle world.
- Genre Shift: It becomes "Harry Potter, the Shōnen manga" which later becomes "Draco and Blaise's Road Trip Buddy Movie"
- A God Am I: Raito of course... and Hondo Marukai (who apparently has the power to backup the claim.)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Evil: The Good: Harry, Hermione, Ron, Remus, Dumbledore, The Bad: Draco, Blaise, Snape, The Evil: Raito Yagami and Hondo Marukai
- Hidden Agenda Villain: We know Raito has plans, we just don't know what they are. Hondo Marukai is even more mysterious.
- Hilarity Ensues: when Snape is stranded somewhere in the middle of Jordan.
- The Hunter: Marukai claims to be this as his cover when visiting Hogwarts (and to explain to Lupin why he smells of death) but Marukai immediately assures Remus he wouldn't dream of hurting Raito's "cute little wolf." He is a "hunter" of a sort... he's a pedophile and child killer.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Poor Lupin.
- I Need You Stronger: Harry is feeling anxious now that he is no longer sure of his destiny and he wants to get stronger so he can protect his friends and loved ones from whatever threats might come his way and so asks Raito for extra Defense training. Raito is happy to oblige him.
- If I Do Not Return: Draco and Blaise when trapped in the wilderness together.
- Improbable Age: At 22, Raito becomes the youngest teacher to be employed at Hogwarts.
- In Medias Res
- Interspecies Romance: Raito and Remus.
- Keet: after receiving a mysterious "gift" from Professor Raito, Harry spontaneously turns into a hyperactive "hug-monster".
- Laughably Evil: Hondo Marukai. He somehow manages to be both a Squicky monster AND the Plucky Comic Relief.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Snape, Draco, and Blaise get in trouble when they just blast a wall with magic without checking for traps first.
- Love Hurts: Remus has a one-sided crush on Raito which Raito makes use of in his manipulations.
- Manipulative Bastard: Raito
- Metaphorically True: To avoid having the wizards potentially discovering Shinigami and thus the source of his powers as Kira, Raito tells his defense class that his Patronus's form is a Thestral.
- A Million Is a Statistic: Kira continues to punish muggle criminals as well as the occupants of Azkaban. No one connects the dots because no one cares enough about muggles, let alone muggle criminals.
- Not Himself: Raito is magically manipulating Harry's emotions.
- Odd Couple: Draco Malfoy and Blaise Zabini
- Off Stage Villainy: for the most part, Raito.
- OOC: Raito is nastier than his canon self, Harry is more emotionally vulnerable, and Dumbledore seems to have picked up the Idiot Ball. Though this is justified in that 1) it's an alternate universe and 2) magic is involved in manipulating character's emotions or corrupting them.
- Original Character: Karee and Hondo Marukai
- Outside-Context Villain: Kira
- Pater Familicide: Raito did this prestory to show that in this fic he is unambiguously the bad guy.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Raito thanks to the power of the Death Notes, magic, and the Red Book. Also Marukai since it's stated that he is much more powerful than Raito.
- The Quest: Snape, Draco, and Blaise set out on a trek that will take them across the world to find answers to what Raito is planning.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Professor Snape
- Sadist Teacher: Snape, Raito (when giving Harry his "special training"), and Marukai.
- Schmuck Bait: Snape, Draco, and Blaise walk into what in retrospect was a blatantly obvious trap.
- Self-Made Orphan: Raito
- Serial Killer: Raito Yagami and Hondo Marukai.
- Shortcuts Make Long Delays
- Shout-Out: One of Kira's victims is "Uchiha Itachi"
- Slash Fic
- The Sociopath: Raito Yagami, Hondo Marukai.
- Spell My Name with an "S": In this fic Light is referred to as "Raito"
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: Harry under the influence of Raito's frienship bracelet-lay off the crack, Harry.
- Took a Level in Badass: In this universe Raito is a skilled wizard as well as being Kira. Also Harry after taking some private tutoring sessions with Raito. He's suddenly become a magical genius and is acing all his classes.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Raito. He killed his family and is now working with a pedophile childkiller.
- Training from Hell: Raito's training of Harry, which Harry's friends begin referring to as "consensual torture" though apparently Raito considers this tame compared to what he suffered at the hands of Marukai.
- The Vamp: Raito. Apparently he's used this method of manipulation to control Misa, L, and now Remus.
- Victory Is Boring: Kira begins taking on the wizarding world when he feels conquering the muggle world is too easy.
- The Villain Makes the Plot
- Villains Out Shopping: Kira hasn't been killing much lately since he's been too busy grading term papers.
- Villain Team-Up: Yagami Raito and Hondo Marukai.
- Walking the Earth: Snape, Draco, and Blaise though it doesn't go quite as planned.
- Weak, but Skilled: Raito is well aware that he's hardly the most powerful wizard out there but he more than makes up for it by honing his skills and using his brain.
- Yaoi Guys: Harry/Draco and Raito/Remus.
- You Remind Me of X: the young and charming Professor Yagami reminds many of the Hogwarts staff of Lockheart except he actually knows what he's doing.