We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Fan Fic: Legendary Genesis
is a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
fanfiction that follows a social phobic girl who woke up as a Scyther and her Carnivine teammate.
Legendary Genesis contains examples of:
- Acrophobic Bird: Dion has to remind Eileen that she has wings on several occasions. The most notable example is when she's stuck in swamp water and tries to pull herself onto a boardwalk using her scythes to no avail.
- Adventure Guild: The "lessons" taught at Arcanine's Academy usually involve going on missions to complete certain tasks.
- Aliens Speaking English: Eileen can't tell if the other Pokémon are speaking the language she spoke as a human or if she automatically became fluent in their own language.
- Bad Ass Grandpa: Headmaster Arcanine is still incredibly agile and strong in spite of his old age.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Eileen has a hard time adjusting to how her arms have been transformed into scythes.
Eileen: I’ll never be able to hold onto anything, or shake someone’s hand, or scratch an itch, or… oh lord, what will happen after I go to the bathroom?
- Blessed with Suck: While Eileen is initially thrilled to have become a Scyther, it doesn't take long for her to become aware of the downsides of her new form.
- The Blind Leading the Blind: Eileen often looks to Dion for advice, but later finds out that he's nearly as clueless as she is.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Eileen manages to defeat the Kabuto in Emerald Grotto in a single attack by flipping it onto its back, leaving it helpless.
- Cutesy Name Town: The story takes place near Origin Plaza, "where all adventures begin!". Like the title of the fanfiction, both the town and its motto reference beginnings.
- Deadpan Snarker: Eileen is prone to coming up with snide responses to what her teammate says. Her retorts always remain in her mind, however.
- Dismissing a Compliment: Eileen rolls her eyes when Dion tells her she's good at math, saying that even a second grader could've figured out the equation she solved.
- The Ditz: Dion isn't remarkably intelligent. He's very slow to react to certain things and he carries many unrealistic expectations about the world around him.
- Dungeon Crawling: Being a PMD fanfiction, this is unsurprisingly the premise of the story.
- Fish out of Water: The author dedicates a lot of time to describing the hardships Eileen encounters in her new form, including her struggles to fly, chew food, and sit down properly.
- Hero Academy: The students at Arcanine's Academy are trained to search for treasure, fight crime, and go on rescue missions.
- Identity Amnesia: Eileen can't remember any of the personal details of her past life, but other than that her memory is largely intact.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Eileen is frequently accused of cannibalism by Cleo. According to her, the Pokémon inhabiting the Foreboding Bog are prone to eating members of their own species.
- Intro-Only Point of View: The first chapter stars Dion, but all the following chapters revolve around Eileen.
- Just Woke Up That Way: Eileen, in the typical PMD fashion.
- Lethal Chef: Chef Muk's cooking supposedly tastes fine, but whether or not it's sanitary is questionable.
Eileen: Is it safe to eat?
Dion: Probably not. I think everyone's developed an immunity to it, though.
- A Lizard Named Liz: Dion's name is derived from the scientific name of the Venus flytrap, which is of course what Carnivine is based on.
- Mess on a Plate: The soup Chef Muk cooked is described as looking similar to the sludge making up her body.
- Naďve Newcomer: Eileen is naturally this. She starts off knowing very little about the world around her and how to function in her new shape, but is gradually educated over the course of the beginning.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: While battling the Kabuto in Emerald Grotto, Eileen inadvertently uses Leer on a hysterical Dion.
- Old Master: Headmaster Arcanine was a skilled battler during his youth, and he has many scars to prove it. He has managed to retain some of his fighting prowess and intends to pass it down to his students.
- The Quiet One: After finding out she wasn't dreaming, Eileen has been mostly silent. She does want to speak up, but she is too afraid.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The loud and ambitious Dion is the red to the quieter Eileen's blue.
- Self-Insert Fic: The author admitted that she shamelessly based the protagonist off of herself. "Eileen" is actually her middle name.
- Swamps Are Evil: The story starts in a dungeon called Foreboding Bog. Dion, who isn't bothered by the swamp's stench and humidity, sneaks off to it in search of treasure.
- That Was Not A Dream: Dion is puzzled by Eileen's insistence that she's dreaming and has to go through the trouble of convincing her otherwise
- Trapped in Another World: Eileen, of course. This is a PMD fanfiction, after all.
- The Trope without a Title: The title of the third chapter refers to Eileen and Dion's unnamed team as "the team with no name".
- Underestimating Badassery: The Kabuto taunts Eileen after she accidentally uses Leer on her teammate, only to be taken down by her in one hit.
- The Watson: Eileen usually only speaks when she's asking questions about the world.
- Weather Report Narration: The story has been criticized for its flowery opening paragraph.
Milky morning light illuminated the murky bog, softening its normally sinister atmosphere. The air was smolderingly humid, and the repulsive odor of steaming swamp gas and rotting vegetation emanated from the green, stagnant water.
- Worthless Treasure Twist: Headmaster Arcanine says that the gem Eileen and Dion retrieved from Emerald Grotto is absolutely worthless, but then goes on to explain that not all treasures are in material form and they still learned a lot from their lesson.